Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrades worth it
Quote | Reply
I’ve been researching as much as I can about wheels and found good prices on a HED Jet 9+ and HED Disc+, but still unsure what to do.

My current race set up is:
Felt IA10
HED Jet 5+, 4000s ii 23 mm with butyl tubes
Ceramic bearings in bottom bracket
Wax chain with molten speed wax
SLF pulley wheels
Bontrager Ballista

Last race was St. George 70.3 where I rode 2:18 with an average of 275 watts (.85 IF, FTP 322) and ran a 1:33. I’ve always been more concerned about what I can mentally and physically can do over trying to buy everything I possible can.

Question is: Is there really any benefit of going 40 mm deeper in the rear? Or to a disc? What about a tt helmet (Aerohead)?

Any opinions about races ever not allowing discs and I don’t want to mess with a cover. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [TriEnduro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
--Latex tubes
--Post a position picture
--Look at BBS to find the expected time gain from switching from 5+ to 5+ with cover, 9+ or a wide disc
--I think Tom A found that there were very few (if no) flat discs that are faster than a disc cover
--Kona and IM Cozumel, Honolulu 70.3 and most? draft legal races do not allow discs
--A disc cover is less hassle than you probably think it is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the helmet, it comes down to whether or not it is within your budget and if you are going to overheat or not. The time saved between an aerohead and a Batista will only be in the seconds considering you are already riding sub 2:30 for the bike.
As for the wheels, since you have the Jet 5 in the rear, you can go with a disc option since for non-disc legal races you still have an option to ride a deep section if they don't allow the disc wheel.
There are very few races that does not allow discs in the United States and even fewer races where a disc will be a disadvantage over a deep section wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:
--Latex tubes --A disc cover is less hassle than you probably think it is

I've found covers are easy to work with if you leave it on all the time. No way is it worth taking off and on during the season. Time could be better spent on other things. That said, put it on, leave it on and treat it just like a disc and it's no hassle.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
For the helmet, it comes down to whether or not it is within your budget and if you are going to overheat or not. The time saved between an aerohead and a Batista will only be in the seconds considering you are already riding sub 2:30 for the bike.
As for the wheels, since you have the Jet 5 in the rear, you can go with a disc option since for non-disc legal races you still have an option to ride a deep section if they don't allow the disc wheel.
There are very few races that does not allow discs in the United States and even fewer races where a disc will be a disadvantage over a deep section wheel.

I have tested a couple dozen helmets now, finding the right one is worth a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that the moment you put your head down with the aerohead you have absolutely no airflow going to your head. It is a great helmet but I would not use it for really hot races like Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never said it was the right helmet, just that the right helmet will be well worth it over the Ballista.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
I find that the moment you put your head down with the aerohead you have absolutely no airflow going to your head. It is a great helmet but I would not use it for really hot races like Kona.

I bought the Aerohead and returned it... hated it. My neck died by mile 75 and I felt far more comfortable in an A2 with Oakley prizm lenses. Whatever 'seconds' I would have theoretically saved were long gone simply because of comfort. N=1

To the OP -- get rid of the Ballista and get an A2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to what everyone else posted, maybe an aero front brake like a tririg? Agreed, at 2:18 you are probably looking at not much gain aero-wise

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a pic from a local tt a few weeks before St George. I didn’t want to do a cover cause I do race a lot of local cycling races with those wheels. And I do have a Tririg brake.
Last edited by: TriEnduro: May 8, 18 14:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tilt arms up a bit to around 12 degrees, get a real aero helmet, lose the socks, get a disc. What trisuit are you wearing? That jacket looks terribly un aero. Also can you get your head down, probably some gains there for sure.

TriEnduro wrote:
Here is a pic from a local tt a few weeks before St George. I didn’t want to do a cover cause I do race a lot of local cycling races with those wheels. And I do have a Tririg brake.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 8, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]Tilt arms up a bit to around 12 degrees[/quote]

No

More reach though.
Aero helmet
race kit
deeper front wheel
disc wheel

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!

desert dude wrote:
[quote]Tilt arms up a bit to around 12 degrees[/quote]

No
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure go up 12degrees. Just be aware the odds are in your favor that you'll actually be slower more of the time.

But each his own. You stick w/ what you think I'll stick w/what I've seen in 60+ wind tunnel tests

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
Tilt arms up a bit to around 12 degrees

More reach though.

Out of interest, what would that do? Would frontal area still be the same? Just a weight distribution thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is why when certain people talk, I listen--as should others. It goes without saying that certain set-ups, gear etc. may--or may not be--faster for any given individual. Like the vast majority of triathletes, I don't ever plan to spend one minute in a wind tunnel, so I play the odds. When Desert Dude provides nuggets of information based on oodles of wind tunnel experience, its about as good as it gets short of your own personal testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a much better pic from St. George, that was a bad pic to post as I just using regular cycling clothes due to the cold.

I’ve always just tried to keep things simple with my set up and avoided have to use 2 differ stem lengths, extenders and etc. However where flo came out with there time saving data, I went with shallower wheels cause there wasn’t that big of a savings (only a few seconds) compared to the price of the deeper wheels. Would 40 mm extra be worth the price difference?

Most tt helmets have visors, but I need to ride with my RX glasses cause of my eye sight and worried that I’ll have problems with contacts if I tried them (my dad uses contacts and has had a few problems).

I use a Epix sleeve suit for triathlon racing. Thanks for all the info so far.
Last edited by: TriEnduro: May 9, 18 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrades worth it [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Ero article attached. Dessert Dude is one opinion.

http://www.ero-sports.com/...r-more-comfort-speed

That said I agree Dessert Dude provides tons of insight. Ultimately it’s your call whether it will be faster for you and until you test no one knows. But when Ero writes an article about it and provides real data rather than anecdotal commentary, I’m siding with Ero.

DFW_Tri wrote:
this is why when certain people talk, I listen--as should others. It goes without saying that certain set-ups, gear etc. may--or may not be--faster for any given individual. Like the vast majority of triathletes, I don't ever plan to spend one minute in a wind tunnel, so I play the odds. When Desert Dude provides nuggets of information based on oodles of wind tunnel experience, its about as good as it gets short of your own personal testing.
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 9, 18 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Enduro, I’m in the same boat with prescription glasses. I suggest getting some circular rimless glassses which you can rest higher on your nose, the Aerohead and Lg p09 both have room for glasses to be worn under the visor. This should really help with your pariscoping head which I used to have to do to see through my actual lenses. Your head will save you many more Watts. Wheels are one of the last upgrades given their high cost. Pm me if you can’t find good glassses, eye buy direct has a ton of $50 dollar pairs.

TriEnduro wrote:
Here is a much better pic from St. George, that was a bad pic to post as I just using regular cycling clothes due to the cold.

I’ve always just tried to keep things simple with my set up and avoided have to use 2 differ stem lengths, extenders and etc. However where flo came out with there time saving data, I went with shallower wheels cause there wasn’t that big of a savings (only a few seconds) compared to the price of the deeper wheels. Would 40 mm extra be worth the price difference?

Most tt helmets have visors, but I need to ride with my RX glasses cause of my eye sight and worried that I’ll have problems with contacts if I tried them (my dad uses contacts and has had a few problems).

I use a Epix sleeve suit for triathlon racing. Thanks for all the info so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or go to a flat IM, sit in a draft pack, and sit up with your hands on the base bar and get the same effect for free.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use contacts, never had any problems. As long as you're careful swimming and keep everything clean you'll be fine. It's really quite freeing.
Quote Reply