Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ?
Quote | Reply
Hi !

I own a Stinger 9 2019 front, last gen with full black design and carbon hub. On the rear i ride a tubeless disc wheel with GP5000 TL for peace of mind an better CRR, and won't ride Corsa Speed because i don't trust their grip in the rain and their flat protection. If you win 3 seconds on straight lines, but lose them on wet sharp turn, i prefer to ride GP5000.

You can read everywhere that tubular generate an aero penalty against clincher, and that's easy to understand for the same width when you look at the edge of a tubuler vs clincher rim, but nobody say how much : 1w, 3w ??? So does some of you had the opportunity to test in a tunnel if there is an aero penalty with a 22mm tubular on a Stinger 9 (or 808 FC, shape is close) against a 25mm (26-27 real width) clincher or tubeless on a Jet 9+ ? I ride short TT and sometimes short Triathlons in relay with friends, and average betwen 25 and 28 mph depending the profile.

I have searched everywhere, and can not find such a test, or very old post from 2012 with older Hed jet 23mm. I know that tubulars are coming from another decade ;-) but would like to be sure before changing what i think is one of the most aero front wheel ever done. I speak only about aero, not CRR.I ride my Stinger 9 with Continental Podium TT pro ltd tubulars with latex inner tube (pro team edition), so the CRR is really close to a GP5000 (test have been done with the competion pro ltd slick and it was like a GP5000 with butyl tube, the podium is 225gr instead of 285, so should be faster and very close to the GP5000+latex).

Thank for those who will take the time to answer !!
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [Veyron40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure those with more knowledge will chime in, but, I'm not sure there is much of an aero penalty as long as the tubular tire you choose properly matches the width of the rim.

I know you mentioned CRR, but that is in fact prob where you might end up losing watts. For a tubular, you not only need it glued straight with no bounces (like commonly at the valve area), but you need it glued very well - lots of glue, to have the lowest rolling resistance. Down side to that is you'll have a hell of a time getting the tire off the rim in a race should you flat (ask Norman Stadler, lol). Again I realize you know this, but still...

After 20 years or so of using tubulars (road racing, then tri), I switch to clinchers just because it was so easy to change them, swap on a new race tire, compared to tubies, and they always go on perfect, straight. And as well top of the line clincher is half the price of a top tubular.

Outside of all that, the only advantage I see with a tubular is that you can usually sort of safely ride on a flat tire if needed. And, of course, nostalgia. Even the old excuse of tubular's comfort is probably no longer valid given wider, lower pressure, high quality clinchers now.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: May 11, 21 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank's for the answer.

I glue my tubular will a lot of care and straight, so don't think it will affect a lot the crr, and to be honest, i don't remember my last flat on the front wheel, this is why i'm still riding my Stinger in front, and tubeless on rear because i had one or two per year on the rear. My only doubt is will i earn aero gains with a 25mm tire flush with the Jet+ 9 rim against my 22mm in the Stinger 9.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [Veyron40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you are very detailed with the front and how you are prepared for your races.

If it is something that you can afford, than I would do it. Then you will be able to carry the same tube (extender needed for front) for both wheels. You should be able to minimize the cost when you sell your stinger.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can afford the jet 9+, but i travel a lot with my bike so i am little bit affraid with the hybrid alloy + thin carbon construction. So will change only if the aero gain is true, this is why i try to find some test everywhere but did not find.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubular tires are very easy to remove with a razor blade.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Tubular tires are very easy to remove with a razor blade.

Sometimes. Sometimes if they are glued on too tight, you can slice it with a razor, the rest of it still doesn't pull off that easy. Last tubie I removed was a veloflex carbon from a mavic cosmic carbone rim, I sliced her open, it still took me forever to wrestle that fucker off!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you cut across the tire and stick your finger inside it?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade Stinger 9 2019 to Jet+ 9 because of tubular aero penalty ? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Did you cut across the tire and stick your finger inside it?

Honestly, I did! And I didn't even have -that- much glue on it. About 2/3rd to 3/4 of one tube of glue at most, one layer on the rim, none on the base of the new tire. Conti glue I think. It was stuck hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just push little by little on each side of the tubular to unlock it on 20cm, and he will go off easely. I don't have pb to mount or unmount tubulars on my Stinger, and i ride "tight" continental podium tt pro ltd 22mm with conti orange glue, just want to know if they are less aero than a 25 clincher and if, by how much ;-)
Quote Reply