Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Upgrade P2
Quote | Reply
So I have a roughly 10 year old P2. I love it. I have completed 2 Ironman races and a dozen halfs with it. I am looking for something newer and better, but I am not sure what to move to. I feel like my cervelo fits me very well- so I was thinking of sticking with maybe another p series... it is just that it is super heavy. My road bike is a specialized tarmac and just so much lighter. Is there anything similar to a cervelo p series that is under, say, 19 pounds?
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P3 are a pretty good value proposition, if you put the right wheels on it and then Didn’t load it up with too much junk, I think you’d find the weight more favorable. The base bar should already be carbon, but you could get a carbon stem and Carbon extensions that would save a little bit of weight there.

I also run a tarmac pro as my main road bike, so I feel like we are in a similar position here.

From everything I’ve been reading though a couple pounds on the bike is not really that important compared to the aero advantage though. Do you tend to do really hilly races? It’s quite possible there’s nothing wrong with your current P2 and you’re leaving speed on the table in other places besides weight - but 10 years also seems like a reasonable amount of time to think about an upgrade for the sake of having something newer If you really love it

Clubs/Affiliations: The Rippers / Charles River Wheelers / Cambridge Sports Union
Last edited by: adoucett: Jul 11, 20 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing if your P2 was a 48, 61 or anything in between it's difficult to give you a recommendation on anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 [adoucett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adoucett wrote:
From everything I’ve been reading though a couple pounds on the bike is not really that important compared to the aero advantage though.

This. Don't worry about the weight of the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok,

As others have said a light weight bike is sweet but doesn’t trump aero.

Having said that a P2 is a very light bike for its time.

Check out this article on a P3 under 15 pounds, at most the frame/fork p2 was only 200grams heavier.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...e_Preparer_7196.html

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently have a 51 Cervelo p2- I believe a 2011 model. It is quick on the flats where weight does not matter as much but it is Very heavy to schlep up big, steep hills where I live and train and where weight makes more of a difference. It is also heavy to hang in my garage overhead- so there’s that too. I’ve always been a little irritated by the weight- but now that I also have the Tarmac- I’m like holy Christ that cervelo is really a beast.
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade P2 [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Ok,

Check out this article on a P3 under 15 pounds, at most the frame/fork p2 was only 200grams heavier.

Maurice

The article is very, very helpful- Thanks! It sounds like they were able to get a P3 with a Zipp 808 up front and a full disk in the rear down to 14.4 pounds- which is amazing. Like I said- I am starting at over 20 pounds- so I feel like there is a lot of room so go down in weight. But I don’t have a full time bike mechanic to make a zillion modifications. Does anyone know the weight of 51 P3 is out of the box- and what would be the easiest modifications to drop weight on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Ok,

Maurice

The article is very, very helpful- Thanks! It sounds like they were able to get a P3 with a Zipp 808 up front and a full disk in the rear down to 14.4 pounds- which is amazing. Like I said- I am starting at over 20 pounds- so I feel like there is a lot of room so go down in weight. But I don’t have a full time bike mechanic to make a zillion modifications. Does anyone know the weight of 51 P3 is out of the box- and what would be the easiest modifications to drop weight on it?

I have a 2013 P2 and 2011 P3

Had. It thought if them being heavy
How much do you weigh?

I’m 200lbs so maybe that is why
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Ok,

Maurice

Lol,

How much money do you have? Basically post your budget and some detailed pictures of your bike.

If you are OK with tubulars we can save you 1.5 pounds just on wheels and 500$ used....sram red used 10 speed, some tri-rig brakes etc.

At a certain point you will have to look at this as a fun project....you will never get your money back.

Maurice
Quote Reply