Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Updates on Matt Russell?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any updates? Last I heard (Twitter) he was hit by a van on the run and went through the window. Cut his neck and isn't in the best of conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Hope he's okay. That's nuts.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just what i've seen on twitter -- serious condition.

https://twitter.com/...s/919396289317543936
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
Anyone have any updates? Last I heard (Twitter) he was hit by a van on the run and went through the window. Cut his neck and isn't in the best of conditions.

Another thread said he biked into a car that somebody allowed to cross the course or something like that. I wonder which it is?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike crash

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awful...hope he is okay.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last update I received was he was in surgery. Possibly will be flown to hospital in Honolulu. In serious condition

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine was there and said a policeman allowed a car to cross the road. Matt biked straight into the car. I can not believe this can happen during an event like Kona, totally unnecessary. My thoughts are with Matt, hopefully we'll get some good news soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really Terrible news. I hope it’s not as serious as it sounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No update and I wish Matt (and Tim) speedy recoveries. It’s rather sickening that at even at this, the pinnacle event, we’re seeing this type of news throughout the race week. It makes one pause and consider what’s the point of it if at even a race of this caliber one is dealing with the same day to day fears that drives people to the trainer.

Be safe out there everyone.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTC needs to step up. You don't see athletes in other sports having to deal with traffic or unnecessary hazards during the competition of all competitions. Shameful
Last edited by: Yeti racer: Oct 15, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
WTC needs to step up. You don't see athletes in other sports having to deal with traffic or unnecessary hazards during the competition of all competitions. Shameful

It seems there have been an increasing number of bike/car incidents at WTC races the past few years. They need to figure this out. You shouldn't have athletes getting hit by cars during a race, especially on a closed course like Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly could WTC have done differently? It sounds like it was a controlled intersection and all blame should be on the police officer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeti racer wrote:

"Step up" how? Sounds like the police officer either didn't see the rider or made a poor judgement on his closing speed. I'm not sure how that's WTC's fault.

Short of building their own venue, WTC has to give some accommodation to locals who have no vested interest in the race and need to be able to get from place to place. I'd imagine demands to close the route to cross traffic too could very well be met with a reply of "thanks for the memories, you can take your race somewhere else."

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 15, 17 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rally car racing, desert racing. Fans have been known to build traps to make cars crash

Baseball, easy for a fan to interfere with a play (curse of the Cubs)

Not to say races cant do better but plenty of sports have issues that the athletes have to deal with that they shouldn't have to

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came across this through a friend of a friend. I assume it’s allowed on the forum? Apologies if not. Donation to help his family with medical bills and associated expenses.

https://www.youcaring.com/...ction_ref_map=%5B%5D
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
Rally car racing, desert racing. Fans have been known to build traps to make cars crash

Baseball, easy for a fan to interfere with a play (curse of the Cubs)

Not to say races cant do better but plenty of sports have issues that the athletes have to deal with that they shouldn't have to

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here; are you saying someone deliberately drove into Matt Russell?
If not, that's an extraordinarily inappropriate set of examples to use.
Last edited by: awenborn: Oct 15, 17 9:19
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
especially on a closed course like Kona.

The entire Kona bike course is definitely NOT closed to traffic. I see people say this a lot, but it's not true. I remember several non-race official cars and pickup trucks driving down the middle of the road on the course past Kawaihae when I raced it. I saw a semi-truck on the course during the coverage yesterday.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Lubby2004] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lubby2004 wrote:
Came across this through a friend of a friend. I assume it’s allowed on the forum? Apologies if not. Donation to help his family with medical bills and associated expenses.

https://www.youcaring.com/...ction_ref_map=%5B%5D

I would very much like to help out Matt and his family. Can anyone confirm the legitimacy of this campaign?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Blue_Quest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was given to me from another pro, who is personal friends with Matt. Feel free to shoot me a PM and maybe I can get you guys in touch if you have any concerns!
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeti Racer was saying Ironman needs to step up because only triathletes need to deal with traffic or outside issues which is not accurate. Heck look at UCI level cycling. Just recently a rider hit a parked car that should not have been on the course.

Does course safety need to improve, yes, in a lot of sports.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has there been anymore updates?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:

This is exactly the type of crash that put me on the infinite (not indefinite, infinite) disabled list a number of years ago. Hope his head is OK. As bad as the cuts in his neck and the potentially broken neck are, once those heal he'll be good to go. If his head was hurt as well (subdural haematoma or similar) he could be in for the long haul.

Don't know him, but wish him all the best.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to THIS local report the accident happened out at Waikoloa. That's where the big Marriott, Hilton resorts are, Hanu swim/start/trans/finish and the helicopters sit beside the Queen K. Segments of the Queen K are closed during the race and there are signed up all over stating this - I even found that the entire course (including the swim) popped up on my GoogleMaps app on my phone. But there are some segments that have to remain open - half a dozen or more flights come and go from the airport during the race and there is a 400m section where cars merge across cyclists during the race. The cops were super sharp when my Lyft driver took me to the airport at 10am - but accidents happen.

I'm for sure going to give to gofundme page linked above.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Updates on Matt Russell? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
What exactly could WTC have done differently? It sounds like it was a controlled intersection and all blame should be on the police officer...

I think everybody could do better with this stuff. My son was racing in Texas on Saturday and the cop directing traffic at the intersection had no idea which way cyclists should go when some racers asked him. They'd say, "Do we go straight or turn right?" And he said, "I got no idea, lady!" Well, having an idea if a bike is going straight or turning right makes a BIG DIFFERENCE when you're letting a car cross the intersection. Jesus.

Having the cops directing traffic meet with the race company to get some more involved instruction would go a long way.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next