Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Philbert
Last edited by: Philbert: Feb 8, 03 10:25
Re: Recommendation for running shoe for a 220 lb, flat footed runner... [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil,

I have been gaining weight for a while now, and am 205ish.

I am in the Nike Shox (the original) and they are REALLY comfortable. They are also coming out with a new shox, the TZ or something like that that has a shock the whole way through.

They are the most comfortable shoe ive ever run in, relatively light weight, and look cool. They arent cheap though.

Oh, i also supinate (from the sounds of it, you do as well, not over pronate if you wear the outside of your shoe a lot)

-Kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for running shoe for a 220 lb, flat footed runner... [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to Asics shoes. That said, give the Asics Gel Koji DS a try. A good friend of mine weighs about 230 and is about 6'4''. He swears by these bad boys. Is there a specialty running store near you? One about 200 miles from me has a treadmill and video system. You run for them and they analyze your stride. It is well worth the trip for me. My stride changed in the last year since I have been working on the Pose method pretty hard.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics Gel foundation
Asics Koji
Brooks Beast

By all means go to ao runnign specialty store. You likely need something in motion control and a straight last. But satying your shoes wear on the outsisde might mean you are supinator, it depends.

Running store is where you need to be. Drive right on by the sports mega warehouse and don't bother with foot locker. Head to a runnign store.

I'm a 250 pounder and wear the foundations in a 13 4E
Quote Reply
I'm 5'11" and 156 and also where the [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foundation or the Gel MC Plus by Asics.

Best place to purchase either of these is Holabird sports where both can be had for approximately 55 bucks at any time.

They are for big people of chronic over pronators.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an individual choice. Shoe fitting can be almost as technical as bike fitting. If I were you I would go to a real running store, have an analysis done by an expert, and buy the shoes they recommend. The analysis should at least include a look at your bare feet, a look at your existing running shoes, and a look at your running technique. It should probably include you trying on a couple different pair and running on them, again while being watched by the expert. If you still like the shoes after a month or two, go back and buy three or four pair of the exact same shoe because they the manufacturer will find a way to screw them up with a future release.

-MK
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Philbert [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a good, reputable running or multisport store and get fitted. They will be able to tell you how collapsed your arches are and find the right range of shoes for you. Once you do that, you will be given a selection of shoes to try on and jog around in. Choose the ones that feel the most comfortable for the $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started running I was 300lbs @ 6'1". I bought a pair of Asics Gel MC Plus and they held up for a year. I'm now 205 and I've found that I like a cushioned shoe better. The MC Plus is a little firm. The MC Plus also has motion control features, so it sounds like it would fit the bill for you quite well. I've heard the new Nike shox previously mentioned in this post is a good cushioned shoe, and I'm going to look into them after my current pair of running shoes wear out.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
The best running stores in Chicago are in order [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Fleet Feet North Avenue, Dave and his staff are really good, have video and treadmill also watch you run outside.

2)Universal Sole (?) I can remember if this is Uni Sole downtown or the diagonal street that crosses Webster by the Webster movie comple (goddam I only left three months ago and I cant remember, yes I can it's Clybourne)

3) New Fleet feet, same owners, on North Lincoln, up close to Foster I think.

4) New store I think on Damen, poor variety in Bucktown.

FF on North Avenue has the largest range with prehaps the store's on Clybourne and downtown on Mich giving them a close run for their money.

Personally I bought all my shoes and Misc S**t from FF because they are nice, guys, know their stuff and one of the guy's in their actually does the running shoe reviews for IT if you put any stock in that.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: The best running stores in Chicago are in order [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update on the shoe quest:

Went down to fleet feet, and had someone watch me run and make some suggestions. So here are the interesting facts I learned.

1) ALL shoes wear on the outside first, and it does not nessecarily matter if you over or underpronate (supinate). Someone needs to watch you run and see how your foot/ankle rolls while you are doing it. You can make a rough guess by looking at some shoes with lots of miles on them and seeing if the upper portion is getting mashed inwards or outwards.

2) In my case, I supinate...I carry more weight on the outside of my foot. However, most people who do that also have a high arch. Mine collapses when I run, and my foot spills inward. This is a problem :^)

So, we ended up deciding to put me in a supinator shoe, and to see how that goes. IF it doesn't work out, the fix is an arch support or custom made orthotic. I ended up with a saucony grid shadow. I liked the new balance 1022 better, but their size 15 is too small and they don't make a 16 :^(

Anyway, thanks for all suggestions.

Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply