Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Update: Masters Swimmer averages 14,000 yd/day for almost 10 years
Quote | Reply
Doug Allen of Woodlands Masters has now averaged 14,000 yd/day over the past 6 yrs. Allen has won the USMS "Go The Distance" (GTD) challenge each year from 2014 to 2022.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Oct 3, 23 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, just wow!

I wish I had that kind of time, although I'll assume he is retired, as well as his wife!

Looks like Dev, has some catching up to do!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one incredible feat!

I did some rudimentary math, which may not be correct. If he swims a 15 minute 1000, for 5.2 million yards, that works out to 3 hours and 45 minutes a day of swimming, 365 days a year, to get to those totals. Amazing!

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Wow, just wow!
I wish I had that kind of time, although I'll assume he is retired, as well as his wife!

He would not necessarily have to be retired per se but rather just needs a 40 hr/wk desk job and a very convenient pool. A person could say swim 5.30-7.30, work 8.00 to 4.30, swim 5.00 to 7.00, home by 7.45, eat a bunch, then in bed by 9 and up again to start over at 4.30. Then sleep extra on weekends b/c most people would need more than just 7.5 hr sleep if training 28 hr/wk. Very little time for socializing. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya but what does he swim a 100 in?? Actually looked it up, if it is the same guy looks like he would be around a 1;15 from the blocks 100 SCY guy. He swims just under 14 minutes for the 1000SCY it seems.

http://www.usms.org/...ge=50&highage=59

If it is him going back a decade or so, looks like he came to swimming later in life and is still improving. But seems to have no problem with chlorine poisoning though..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know Doug as I've been out of WMST for a number of years now. Haven't swam in 3+ years and before that I was swimming on my own for 2-3 years.

WMST is a great program with an average of 17 coached workouts per week including 4 on Tuesday/Thursday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost unbelievable time and distance in the pool! And I thought very much of myself while recovering from this morning's Masters workout until I read this ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he is coached then the coach is negligent for over training the guy
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ya but what does he swim a 100 in?? Actually looked it up, if it is the same guy looks like he would be around a 1;15 from the blocks 100 SCY guy. He swims just under 14 minutes for the 1000SCY it seems.
http://www.usms.org/...ge=50&highage=59
If it is him going back a decade or so, looks like he came to swimming later in life and is still improving. But seems to have no problem with chlorine poisoning though..(-;

Ya, i know he's not fast but simply swimming 100,000 yd/wk (14,300 yd/day) in 2017, and averaging 2740 mi/yr, or 13,200 yd/day, 365 days/yr, for the past 4 years is impressive to me regardless of his speed, espec for a 55-59 yr old guy. That kind of yardage would break most guys' shoulders after just 4 months, not 4 years.

Last edited by: ericmulk: Jan 14, 18 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good thing it's so early in 2018. I have a new swimming goal for this year.

I plan to swim at least 1/8 of that total distance this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
It's a good thing it's so early in 2018. I have a new swimming goal for this year.

I plan to swim at least 1/8 of that total distance this year.

I like about 1/4, or 25,000 yd/wk myself. I did that "Go The Distance" thing seriously in '13 and '14 and averaged about 50,000 yd/wk for those 2 years but it was just too much. I got faster during 2013 but the immediate jump back into '14 just burned me out and i got slower during the year. Took first 3 months off in '15 to try to recover. They should make it a 9-month challenge and give us the last 3 months to take it easy. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the GTD seriously for a few years. I was pretty much my own coach, and swimming with the masters team in Tulsa at meets. I had access to the pool right down the steps from my office, since I was the director of the center. 50m pool, with long course April-September. I did lots of 5000+ workouts in those years. I did over 1m meters at least one year. With the arrival of 140tritoddler, I cut back lots over the last two years. But, I'm picking it back up. I swim with the local masters team 2-3/week, and a few days on my own. They do a max of about 3500 on M and F, and a sprint day on W, with a total of less than 3000. With that schedule, ill have to go long on those other days.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"140tritoddler"...love that!!! Are you still married to 140triwife #1???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Leavitt wrote:
Wow, just wow!

He would not necessarily have to be retired per se but rather just needs a 40 hr/wk desk job and a very convenient pool. A person could say swim 5.30-7.30, work 8.00 to 4.30, swim 5.00 to 7.00, home by 7.45, eat a bunch, then in bed by 9 and up again to start over at 4.30. Then sleep extra on weekends b/c most people would need more than just 7.5 hr sleep if training 28 hr/wk. Very little time for socializing. :)

I like the 2 hour per day training plan....works out to ~ 14 hours per week but most years I end up at 750-800+ hours. Doing tri training this is easy....30 min bike commute each way to work, at lunch jog to the pool and back for 20 min and 40 min swim. Saturday 2ish our run, Sunday 4-4.5 hour ride and 30 min run....that brings you to 15 hours per week.

28 hours per week is a different animal. I've done that on work weeks several times, but it's basically 2 hours of training before work, 1 hour at lunch and 1 hour in the evening. My favourite 4 hour days would be XC skiing on the golf course before work for 90 min, run to work for 30 min, jog home in the evening for 30 min, coach my son's XC ski team which included 30-60 min of skiing intervals and warmups with them, and then getting on the spin bike afterwards....but I could only handle that 2x per week.

In terms of swimming training only, I can handle 90 min per day plus 30 min of weights, but this is my limit in terms of the need for variety. As it stands, I rarely swim more than 200m ever doing the same thing as I am constantly changing strokes, so that is keeping my sane!!!

This guy is is pretty darn focused cranking out 28 hours per week every week all year. That's double the 2 hours per day plan. Gotta hand it to him.

But, I would think that some college swimmers must come close?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in an interesting sort of dilemma. I'm reading about the race-pace stuff, and I've done some of it. I haven't done it consistently enough and with a sole focus on only that, but I do use it to get some pace work in. As it's been said: you've got to swim fast to swim fast.

OTOH, I came from the era of big volume, the era of the "animal lane," and 65k-80k weeks, and more. And, in the years after my college career as a distance swimmer, I've focused even more on distance. I ran 9 stand-alone marathons from 2001-2007, along with a few 70.3 in there, and then 3 IM from 2008-10. I had one 6-7 month break from all that running in 2006, to swim USMS Nationals and FINA Worlds, then back to the marathons. I started a greater focus on swimming in 2011-12, but was even seriously considering a 50-mile run in 2012. No fast-twitch fibers in me after all that, so I stuck with longer training and events (OWS, 10k pool swims, 1500m/1650 pool races). I'd like to go back to volume, but I'm getting bored with long swims. I think the fix is intervals and aerobic intensity on long days, and going in with a plan.

Yes, I'm still married to 140triwife. She gets that handle honestly, since her FIRST triathlon EVER was an Ironman. No joke. Not even a local sprint. Straight to the big stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Leavitt wrote:
Wow, just wow!

I like the 2 hour per day training plan....works out to ~ 14 hours per week but most years I end up at 750-800+ hours. Doing tri training this is easy....30 min bike commute each way to work, at lunch jog to the pool and back for 20 min and 40 min swim. Saturday 2ish our run, Sunday 4-4.5 hour ride and 30 min run....that brings you to 15 hours per week.

28 hours per week is a different animal. I've done that on work weeks several times, but it's basically 2 hours of training before work, 1 hour at lunch and 1 hour in the evening. My favourite 4 hour days would be XC skiing on the golf course before work for 90 min, run to work for 30 min, jog home in the evening for 30 min, coach my son's XC ski team which included 30-60 min of skiing intervals and warmups with them, and then getting on the spin bike afterwards....but I could only handle that 2x per week.

In terms of swimming training only, I can handle 90 min per day plus 30 min of weights, but this is my limit in terms of the need for variety. As it stands, I rarely swim more than 200m ever doing the same thing as I am constantly changing strokes, so that is keeping my sane!!!

This guy is is pretty darn focused cranking out 28 hours per week every week all year. That's double the 2 hours per day plan. Gotta hand it to him.

But, I would think that some college swimmers must come close?
Dev

Certainly college and pro swimmers do similar loads but they aren't in the 55-59 AG. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I waited a while to think about this and I'm seriously finding it difficult to believe that anyone swims that much per day. I was thinking that without data it didn't happen but if someone spends that much time at the pool or lake, their swimming buddies would be able to vouch for them cuz they'd be there 2 or 3 times a day and for quite a while.

Over the years nobody has called him out so that leads me to believe the record is real.

I suppose out of the 7.5 billion people on earth some 58 year old guy could do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He swum approximately 13050m every day.

Metric, for the benefit of everyone else.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope it is a 50m Pool at least, otherwise that's a lot of flip-turns....
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm less concerned about whether he's able to do it and more about why anyone would want to!
That's a hell of a lot of time spent on one pursuit. I find 10hrs split mostly between cycling and running with a little swimming demanding enough on both my body, my social/work life and general sense of well-being. The most I've done is still under 15hrs/wk and I don't think I've ever done more than 12hrs/week for more than a month at a time. 25hrs+ on a single pursuit smacks of obsession, and not in a good way. But of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he treats it as meditation of sorts, rather than training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes my body hurt just thinking about it. A guy that runs in the area where I live posted that he had jogged almost 7,300 miles in 2017 and did not take a single day off which seems just as crazy although I have no clue which one would actually be harder to complete. I wonder what the equivalent to either of these would be for biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I'm less concerned about whether he's able to do it and more about why anyone would want to!
That's a hell of a lot of time spent on one pursuit. I find 10hrs split mostly between cycling and running with a little swimming demanding enough on both my body, my social/work life and general sense of well-being. The most I've done is still under 15hrs/wk and I don't think I've ever done more than 12hrs/week for more than a month at a time. 25hrs+ on a single pursuit smacks of obsession, and not in a good way. But of course, I could be wrong. Maybe he treats it as meditation of sorts, rather than training.

Somone will look at us training say 14 hours per week (or in your case 10 hours) and say what we are doing smacks of obsession and not in a good way.

One person's personal challenge is viewed by the outside as an unhealthy pursuit of something stupid. I look at the guy who is picking weeds out of his lawn when I leave for a 4 hour ride and then when I return he is still picking at them....I'm looking at him like he is an idiot for wasting a beautiful sunny day hunched over weeds....he's looking at me as an idiot for spending the same day hunched over a carbon fiber top tube and looking at a powermeter and coming back to the same spot I left from....see the different perspectives.

At the end of the day, he takes pride in his beautiful lawn. I got off hitting 195W average for that ride instead of 193W and think I am a hero because of a number on a screen that is going to be uploaded to Garmin Connect when I hit wifi and then I'll send the link to my buddies and we'll analyse my hill climb numbers mid ride till we are blue in the face....so who is obsessed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Somone will look at us training say 14 hours per week (or in your case 10 hours) and say what we are doing smacks of obsession and not in a good way.

One person's personal challenge is viewed by the outside as an unhealthy pursuit of something stupid. I look at the guy who is picking weeds out of his lawn when I leave for a 4 hour ride and then when I return he is still picking at them....I'm looking at him like he is an idiot for wasting a beautiful sunny day hunched over weeds....he's looking at me as an idiot for spending the same day hunched over a carbon fiber top tube and looking at a powermeter and coming back to the same spot I left from....see the different perspectives.

At the end of the day, he takes pride in his beautiful lawn. I got off hitting 195W average for that ride instead of 193W and think I am a hero because of a number on a screen that is going to be uploaded to Garmin Connect when I hit wifi and then I'll send the link to my buddies and we'll analyse my hill climb numbers mid ride till we are blue in the face....so who is obsessed?
It's you and him, I'm fine ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimmer averages 100,000 yd/wk in 2017 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

It's you and him, I'm fine ;)

LOL...yeah, this is how it works. I am normal, everyone else is screwed up and has no priorities ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of a training plan, 100K per week every week all year is not a good one. So, to everyone who did not match this guy's totals, you all are on the right track ;-)

I had the misfortune of being a distance swimmer in the period when distance trumped all in training and I definitely had periods where I was doing over 100K+ per week. But we also did not start the season at that volume and had tapers and 2 "off season" breaks of a couple weeks during the year so I never got close to the yearly total this guy did (and, I still got faster later in my career when the volume came down a bit . . . . ).

There are literally no competitive swimmers currently matching this guy's yearly volume and there probably never has been. Still - having actually done 100K weeks, very very impressive to do that for 52 straight!
Quote Reply

Prev Next