Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unlikely places to find good gear.
Quote | Reply
Was picking up a couple of things at the local dollar store (string of lights, thank you cards) and happened to notice a MP dome cap on the hooks. 4 bucks. Specialty swim gear at the dollar store, who’d a thunk it??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Was picking up a couple of things at the local dollar store (string of lights, thank you cards) and happened to notice a MP dome cap on the hooks. 4 bucks. Specialty swim gear at the dollar store, who’d a thunk it??

I used to pick up my rimless sunglasses from Home Depot, $9. Awesome pair made by 3m but discontinued many moons ago.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day I found an Adidas pursuit skinsuit at TJ Maxx for $29.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For night time riding I still like to have on glasses for debris kicked up by the pack on our hammer rides.

Perfect thing is the "sport" look clear safety glasses handed out like candy for free at work.

Also, in terms of "unlikely".......you can sometimes score good gear cheap if you're super patient and can think of all the mis-spelled words for things you can.

Ebay is better than CL about suggesting mis-spelled products so they don't go hidden. But sometimes you find a gem or two where the person doesn't realize it and you score.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten some decent bike jerseys at the thrift store for a dollar or two

Not my club, didn't do that ride, don't drink that beer, but who gives a shit?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep hearing about Aldi randomly having this bike repair stand for $30 or so that is pretty good value (works as well as the ones that are much more expensive). But I have yet to see one in the wild to check out when I've been to an Aldi location (which is a pretty rare occasion for me honestly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sounds like a rip-off for $4, seeing as that's 4 times their normal prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have zoot shirts, and sugoi cycling shorts, tri tops and cycling jerseys that I've found in the past at Winners of all places, cheap too... I think I still have 2 tri tops with the tags still on them that were $14.99 or something like that...
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Sounds like a rip-off for $4, seeing as that's 4 times their normal prices.

lol. You can hardly find anything there for a dollar anymore...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I came across a Tyr transition pack for $29 at Marshall's

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not ‘gear’ but have found great nutrition deals at Bed Bath & Beyond. They sometimes mark down their bars that are about to expire to 50% off - couple that with 20% coupons, and I’ve gotten multiple boxes of 12 Cliff Bars for around $3.50 each.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
I have zoot shirts, and sugoi cycling shorts, tri tops and cycling jerseys that I've found in the past at Winners of all places, cheap too... I think I still have 2 tri tops with the tags still on them that were $14.99 or something like that...

another vote for winners - i've found some great stuff (including shoes) there over the years.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I used to pick up my rimless sunglasses from Home Depot, $9. Awesome pair made by 3m but discontinued many moons ago.

But I'm a triathlete, and there has to be an M-Dot, or it has to say "Rudy Project" or at least have a USAT logo. Otherwise, people will just have to guess I'm a triathlete from my tattoo, tri suit, compression socks, aero helmet, and scared-eyes.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could just tell them that you do triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Costco for winter gear:
Cold base-layer shirts for ~10 bucks.
Running Gloves for ~10-15 bucks
skiing goggles for super cold days on the bike
winter sports helmet to keep head warm 20-30 bucks

TJ maxx for running tops and shorts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Transition.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REI Garage Sale. I've scored at least 6 smart trainers for less than half of the current going rate. This summer they had so many I think they just said screw it and had them marked for 75% off. I got my Kickr Core for $270. The return excuse on the label was that it was missing the cassette. Yup, that is how they come! I've also had good luck with shoes, bike accessories and tools, bike computers, watches, sunglasses, Aftershokz and hydration packs when it comes to triathlon related stuff then there is all the regular outdoorsy stuff that I like too.
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [driftin'by] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
driftin'by wrote:
REI Garage Sale. ... I got my Kickr Core for $270. ...

I'm never going to miss another REI garage sale. That's an amazing deal.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkRebuck wrote:
driftin'by wrote:
REI Garage Sale. ... I got my Kickr Core for $270. ...

I'm never going to miss another REI garage sale. That's an amazing deal.

x2!!

Ok, I seriously have never been to one of their garage sales, but might hit one up at the end of the month. How does it work? Any tips?
Quote Reply
Re: Unlikely places to find good gear. [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweep any bumpy IM course - I could not believe the amount of gear on the roads during CT 70.3 this year.
Quote Reply