Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people
Quote | Reply
Why is it that every time I find a nice bike path I see a large sign saying "Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times" and then on my ride encounter hordes of unleashed, excited dogs that give chase and cause lots of near accidents/ stress? The other day a really scary pit bull was in my way and almost everyone ignores the sign - don't dog people have any sense that loose dogs chasing cyclists is a really bad idea from a safety standpoint? I told one negligent owner to leash her 3 huge dogs that caused me to stop my ride for a while and she was all defensive and said "they are on a leash" and quickly leashed them.

I am tempted to become an unleashed dog cop who throws rocks at any unleashed dogs I come across - I was bitten by a doberman as a kid and dont trust dogs at all - why can't owners understand that dogs look like large predators to homo sapiens who don't know them and keep them locked up?

Also if I do get bitten what should I do? Ask the owner for their contact information so I can sue them? Attack the owner back as I bleed to death? I can't believe dogs are legal.
Quote Reply
Re: Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people [ictheostega] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't believe dogs are legal.
Here we go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can't believe dogs are legal."

Give me a break. Here's an idea: Find a different place to ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hear you about dogs. i don't care for them either. but this might as well be called dogtwitch.com so you are not going to find many supporters here

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EVERY bike path I've EVER ridden on has had waay too many loose dogs running around on it - why are they called bike paths?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Also if I do get bitten what should I do? "
Just lie there and die quietly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You actually ride on bike path?

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
April Fool's Day was yesterday. No one is this dumb.

Right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. You're one of those people. Don't you know what dog is spelled backwards.

If you weren't such a Sally when confronted with a dog, they would likely leave you alone. When confronted with a dog, I recommend wiping the "I look like I am going to wet my pants look" off your face and speak to the dog in a stern tone. It is also helpful to stick your hand out at the dog gently with your fingers down and palm open. Once the little bugger smells your hand it will likely leave you alone.

I confronted a dog on a long run the other week and did the foregoing; in fact, the dog went on with me for 2 or 3 more miles until I looped around and brought him back home.

When I read posts like this it makes me wonder why being moronic is not illegal.

P.S. Get over yourself; As evidence that you can, note that a feisty German Shepard left its canine teeth marks in my ass when I was a kid riding my banana seat bike.

P.P.S. When my dog bites you, and you ask for my info, you can kiss the spot when the German Shepard bit me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're not, they're called multi use paths.

And who actually rides their bike on one anyway? Are you training on a Hybrid?

Quote | Reply
Best wishes on setting your Bike Path Personal Best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, are you sure it was a pitbull?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I empathize with you.
I hit an unleashed dog several years ago (on a suburban street). The dog scampered off and I took a nasty spill in which I nearly pulled my hamstring out of its distal attachments. I threatened the owner with a nasty lawsuit. Never followed through, but I probably should have.

Many dog owners think their animals are human. Why else would they give them human names and put sweaters on them?

I have come to a simple and reliable conclusion: Owners of untrained, uncontrolled and aggressive dogs are idiots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some Direct Stop citronella spray. You can get it at Petco, Petsmart etc.

Quote | Reply
sorry to hear about this experience, both past and present!

there are alot of selfish people out there...dog owners included.

a friend of mine built a high powered water pistol to use for such occasions.
Quote Reply
Re: Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people [Comaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many dog owners think their animals are human. Why else would they give them human names and put sweaters on them?

hey! i represent that comment!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you were bitten by a dog. That sucks. On behalf of the canine community, my dog Kona says 'we're sorry'.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.personalarms.com/self_defense/dog_pepper.htm

A little seasoning goes a long way.

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Stuff that rocks: <fawning links here>
Quote Reply
Re: Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I recommend wiping the "I look like I am going to wet my pants look" off your face and speak to the dog in a stern tone. It is also helpful to stick your hand out at the dog gently with your fingers down and palm open. Once the little bugger smells your hand it will likely leave you alone."

The problem with this strategy is that when the dog licks my hand I get a rash where his saliva touches my skin as I am highly allergic. Also I know how to not look scared but it requires stopping and making peace with the dog - if you fly by at 20 miles an hour the dog gives chase and its unnerving if the dog is of considerable size. The bike path in question is a 70 mile long hard pack trail frequented by mountain bikers and dog lovers who find it amusing to watch the poor homo sapiens face an old predator over an over again and watch the fear in strangers.

I think its like me bringing my pet shark to the swimming pool when I swim laps. If you've ever been bitten by a doberman which has 2000 pounds per square inch bite pressure and can easily take a pound or two or flesh you would be scared of dogs too.

If I was bitten and the owner refused to give me their contact information I would probably loose my cool (I would have already lost it in the confrontation with the hound already) and would probably beat the crap out of the owner untill I had inflicted about the same amount of damage to their person as was inflicted to me by their weapon (err dog).

If you think about it getting bit by a dog could cost you a lot of money in medical expenses - I had to have stomach-needle rabies shots since they didn't have the arm ones and that was not fun and the whole thing was very expensive. If you refuse to provide contact information you are in effect committing a crime no? What are the laws on this - I want to know in case this ever happens to me again.

Last edited by: ictheostega: Apr 2, 07 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you riding on a paved trail? I can't say I ever see dogs off leash on a paved trail. I can't imagine letting my dogs off leash on a paved bike path for fear of them getting hit by someone like you.

Now extendable leashes on a paved trail with heavy bike traffic, now that might be another story that I might agree on. No reason to get clotheslined.

And your fear/ hate of dogs is one of those cyclical things. Dog sense fear and thus will harass you more. The more they read that you are 'cool with them' the more likely they are to leave you alone/ not bite you, etc.

If it is a huge problem, and you really fear being bitten, take a page from my UPS man's book and go buy a box of dog treats and put some in your jersey pockets when you ride. Food/ treats are often the fastest way to a dog heart. In fact, you could probably toss the treat away from you and the dog will run away temporarily...of course, then you may have made a best friend... who knows, that may make owners leash their dogs to keep them from running off with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Unleashed Dogs - for all you dog people [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so if you put your dog in sweaters, what do you wear, KittyKat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a veterinarian, a triathlete, and a dog owner, I, too, hate to see unleashed dogs. I don't want the dog to get hurt, and I don't want to run into one on the bike or have myself or my dog bitten by one, either. I love dogs, but many dog owners just don't think about the consequences of allowing their dog to run off-leash.

A firm "NO" or "HEY" will stop a lot of them in their tracks. A good squirt from your bike bottle works, too. I haven't seen the Direct Stop but it seems like a good idea.

If you are merely harassed by an unleashed dog (or if one causes you to crash) you probably have no legal recourse. However, if the dog bites you, no matter how hard, that dog and dog owner are in for a lot of trouble. Certainly get the person's address and phone number, the name and number of their vet, and, if possible, the dog's vaccination history. In Houston any dog that bites someone is subject to a mandatory 10-day Rabies quarantine. At the very least I would think that the dog owner would be responsible for your medical bills caused by the bite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe if I'll spend the money on dog treats I will buy some nice tasty rat poison to go with it to stop the nuisance of having to break up my ride/ heart rate etc every couple of minutes to appease the predators.

Seriously though what are the laws about dogs - lawyers please chime in...

If I throw a rock at a loose pit bull running straight at me with an evil look in his eye and I sense danger and am doing it in self defense what then?

I want to know where I stand legally out there and what laws exist to protect humans from predation.

But really there are lots of parks etc where you can play with your dog - why do people have to take herds of them out running - its really disruptive/ annoying - whenever I get into a rhthym it seems around the next corner theres some lonely antisocial weirdo with like 6 dogs unleashed creating a roadblock that takes like 5 minutes to get around cause you have to make sure all the dogs are friendly and cool before you turn your back on them.
Last edited by: ictheostega: Apr 2, 07 18:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should of pursued. My wife was run into by a dog last year that was unleashed and she had a pretty bad spill that necessitated an operation. We sued and have just recently received a very nice compensation... I love dogs but not owners who don't take their responsibilities...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two dogs that I love very much. They were both rescues and I would take in more if I had room. They stay in the house, I take them with me many places and they are almost always kept on a leash when out of my yard. I think that anyone who takes an unleashed dog to a multi use path or openspace area where leash requirements are clearly marked is both criminal and liable for anything that may happen as a result. I'm sick and tired of having unleashed dogs running at me with teeth bared while their lazy owner shouts "don't worry, he won't bite". This is even more alarming when I have my dogs with me on leash, as a leashed dog often goes into near panic when a loose dog approaches. Why do so many people think that they and their dogs are the exception to all of the rules and laws? Here in Boulder there are designated areas where dogs are not allowed at all, where dogs must be leashed, and where dogs are allowed off leash, and most people respect the rules. Also, in order to have a dog off leash even in allowed areas, the owner must view a video outlining the rules and obtain a tag showing that their dog is allowed off leash. To be off leash, the dog must respond immediately to voice and sight commands by the owner and must be close enough to the owner at all times to do so. We all love our pets, and we think that ours are the best in the world, but we also should have respect for those who aren't as comfortable around 100lbs of unknown animal running after them.

Quote Reply

Prev Next