Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unilateral posterior thigh (down to the posterolateral knee) pain during running
Quote | Reply
Greetings my fellow runners.

I am turning to you for help as I have exhausted practically everything I can (from doctors to chyropractors) and I don't know what to do anymore so I am kinda hoping someone here may have gone through the same thing and could help me.

So, I've been running 5-7k 3-4 times a week recreationally for about 5 years now (all trail, no concrete roads) without any trouble (oh, I am 28 years old, played basketball since I was 6 and never had any injury). So this January I started noticing a pain that has been building up gradually over a course of 2-3 weeks to a point where I stopped running altogether because it was too much (the right leg was completely completely good). The last 2 months I have not done any sports and for a month I have been using NSAID (etoricoxib for 3 weeks and ibuprofen for 1 week).

The characteristics of the pain:

Location: in my posterior lower thigh, popliteal fossa and laterally at the knee. I can't localise the pain to a precise point of maximal pain, neither there is any pain on palpation. The pain is kind of like a mild cramp and it is migrating among the locations I've written above. The most accurate term I can give is that I feel like my leg is rotting. The right leg is completely completely fine.
I must stress that I have no physical clinical signs - there is no tenderness on palpation whatsoever, no redness, no swelling, no varicose veins.
It is present solely during running and perhaps few hours after running (but gradually less of course, it's kind of like weaning down). In ''normal'' situations I have no pain or at least very seldomly I can feel something briefly but I feel this may be my mind playing with me since I am constantly ''listening'' the leg in my head for any pain..
Before the 2 month rest, I also did some walkings of a few kms and at about the 4km mark the leg started to hurt.
During the 2nd month of the 2 months rest, I did walkings of about the same distance and didn't really feel any pain so I guess this can be counted as a minor improvement.

Yesterday I went for a run to see how is the leg. If I quantify the feeling I would say that the pain is milder for only about 20-30% and that I can last about 2 km (before the 2 month rest the pain came up really quickly, shortly after the run was commenced so I guess this counts as a mild improvement) before having to stop, stretch, walk a bit and then continue. After stretching and walking the pain is temporarily better but then it quite quickly builds up again.

I visited two chyropractors. One told me that from I'm told him, he's 99% sure that the ischiadic nerve is compressed somewhere in its path – possibly by the piriformis. Did some manual manuevering but I doubt this helped much…perhaps I should've gone to him more times but even then the corona situation quite quickly prohibited me from doing that…
The other one didn't really listen to me as much and just did some acupuncture on my hamstring as according to him, this was surely a hamstring strain…needless to say things didn't get any better.

Since the pain is presenting during running only, my GP thought about neurogenic claudication so I did an MR of the lumbar spine to exclude potential foraminal/spinal stenosis - only a minor L4-L5 central hernia was found which wouldn't explain my problems. I also have to stress that I have no pain whatsoever, not during rest and not during activity in my lower back, buttocks, anteromedial left thigh, from the left knee downwards and the whole right leg. I have not felt any tingles going down my left leg or in my toes whatsoever.

On MR of the knee a high signal at the insertion of the popliteal tendon was described - ala possible popliteal tendinopathy but the second opinion that I retrieved was it can easily also be a magic angle artefact which is common with this tendon cause it curves at the angle of 45 degrees to its femoral insertion. Also my symptoms and the fact the pain is still here after 2 months of rest and 1 months of NSAID talk against inflammatory etiology.

So if you read this you can now see why I am desperate. The pain isn't going away and running through forests and meadows means EVERYTHING to me. I am miserable and desperate.

So I was thinking some more and remembered that I have switched running shoes at the beginning of the January and I was using them for about a month before the pain finally became too severe to handle so I was kinda hoping this could be the reason for my troubles?? I went from Salomon X-scream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GusQBNoWzk4) to La Sportiva Tempesta GTX. Of course, yday I used the previous Salomon ones when I went for my first run after 2 months and as I wrote there was a mild improvement but still far far from sufficient. I do not intend to stop running now. I have rested for 2 months and I will not rest anymore especially with all the beautiful days outside. I will run through the pain and hope it goes away. The pain I think is even more pronounced because all I think about during the run is if the leg is hurting so I hope eventually this will also go away. I can't envisage my life without trail running.

How long till the pain should go away after ditching the ''guilty'' shoes in your experience?

The only thing I am doing right now is stretching.
I am doing the 3 exercises mentioned in this article - https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20858939/back-in-balance/, this exercise - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh3gioc_x4I and then when I lie on the back and straighten my leg up high with an elastic band (basically the Lasegue sciatica test - speaking of that, I notice that the lateral part of my left knee starts burning at a certain angle (quite high one, like 70 degrees) but I don’t feel that in the right leg (there isn’t any other symptoms on left so as far as I know this isn’t a sign of a positive Lasegue test since that would mean I should feel tingling going to my toes at a much lower angle, I think it just means that my right leg is more flexible?...just thought I’d mention it if it lightens up someone’s brain :))

Also, I thought about if this could be a consequence of imbalance of my legs but I can't grasp the concept. Is my right leg *too weak* so the left works more and thus hurts or is the left leg the weaker one and thus hurts? Which one should I stretch more, the left or right one?

If anyone went through anything similar, I would BEG for your advice.

Thank you, regards Mike
Last edited by: Mihel: Apr 4, 20 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Unilateral posterior thigh (down to the posterolateral knee) pain during running [Mihel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that you don't have a solid diagnosis it is difficult to provide much useful advice. I'll try though...

Note, I'm not a medical professional. Just a lifelong runner who used to suffer his fair share of running related injuries. All I can offer is my own experience in dealing with similar-Ish situations. Again, it's hard to know how applicable any of this might be... Since you don't know what's wrong. Most of what follows is most applicable to soft tissue injuries. Less so for nerve impingement, expecially if those are from spinal compression.

I've had my share of mystery problems, tho. It's frustrating bring the "interesting" patient. I'd rather have boring, run of the mill issues. Mild inflammation is hard to see on an MRI. I've had so many negative or questionable MRI, I lost count 20 years ago.

First, I almost never take nsaids, or really any pain meds. I only take them strictly to manage acute pain, and get off them as quickly as possible. If I do take nsaids then, no matter what I DO NOT RUN. I only run pain free, drug free. No exceptions. I have done otherwise many times in 40 years... Never with good result.

Given what you've said, it seems prudent to return to your previous shoes that have been working up until now. Maybe the news shoes are involved, maybe not. But, best to return to a known good baseline until this is resolved.

Were there any other changes in your training leading up to the start of this? Volume, frequency, intensity? More hills? Etc?

Ok, on to how I'd approach trying to return to running:

NEVER run through pain. NEVER. If you keep doing that it will never go away. I spent 10 years down and out, because I did that. It WILL eventually reach a level of pain that you are not capable of ignoring, and no amount of drugs can mask.

Find what your limit is and stay within it and slowly work to extend what that is. Absolute rest usually isn't the solution. So, sitting on the couch isn't advised.

If walking is OK for some time period, then I would start there...as it sounds you already have. I would walk in environments that do not aggravate it. Trails with elevation changes may NOT be compatible with your initial rehab. A treadmill or road, or at least a flat soft trail is probably a better choice.

Once you have an established baseline of walking that doesn't aggravate it. I would introduce a very small amount of running. Maybe 1 minute per 5-10...this is hard for me to judge, but that is about the ball park I'd be thinking... Not 10, 20,or 30. Something stupid small that has almost no chance of inducing pain. And a very small duty cycle. Lots of rest.

Initially, I'd probably only try the running every other day... And just walk the other days. I'd also take at least two days completely off. On a weekly schedule you should work to increase the run duration by a small amount (eg 1 minute). Also you can work to increase the days per week that you run/walk... That should be based on how you feel after the run and in thd days that follow. Favor excess recovery over trying to accelerate too quickly.

All of this is very conservative, no question. It's possible you can get away with something less so. You're young and no doubt fit and strong. But, you've spent months running through and aggravating this injury. It's going to take a while to get out from it. Generally, my rule of thumb after 40 years, is twice as many weeks as you've spent aggravating it (one day counts as a week).

I would also recommend a general mobility and stabilizer strengthening routine. In your case, I'd particularly focus on your various hip stabilizers and core strength in all planes of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: Unilateral posterior thigh (down to the posterolateral knee) pain during running [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings!

Thank you for a quick reply.

To answer the question you've asked me - if I look back, I may have upped the mileage for about 2 or 3 kilometers but that's it. The hills, the intensity etc stayed the same. The pain developed and progressed quite quickly - in 14 days it has gone from developing to becoming so severe I've stopped running so I guess that means 14 weeks of recovering :(

Thank you for all the advice, I will try what you propose :)

Do you perhaps have any specific stretches, exercises in mind that you know are effective? Cause the internet is full of these and I don't know which ones to do...
Quote Reply
Re: Unilateral posterior thigh (down to the posterolateral knee) pain during running [Mihel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do have a set. I've posted them here before. I was going to add them, but I have to go find them. I post a fair bit, so it may take a while to look through the archives and locate the previous post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What luck! The search function actually worked.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7035462#p7035462
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike, how is the injury recovery going?

I have been using the search function to find my symptoms and I have been experiencing something pretty similar. In my case, it ended up being my back even though my back felt fine. I still can't shake the knee and thigh stuff though. Anything help you?
Quote Reply