Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uneven shoe wear. Physiological or form problem?
Quote | Reply
My daily driver shoes happened to be upside down this morning when I went to put them on and I noticed how uneven the wear is on the outer forefoot between my left and right shoe. I think I've never noticed it before because I replace my shoes faster than the outsole wears down, but the Kswiss blade lights seem to be wearing really fast. I had some Brooks green silence's that seemed to be wearing similarly, but I quit wearing them before the uneven wear pattern became obvious. FWIW, I'm a midfoot striker and slight supinator.

I've always had problems with my left leg since I was a teenager. I had a bone spur removed from the front of my left ankle about 9 years ago. A ligament would snap on it if my ankle pivoted certain ways and it was extremely painful. I also had medial meniscus tear about 4mm trimmed 3 years ago. During the meniscus surgery, he also found cartilage damage to the back side of my kneecap that he cleaned/smoothed over. (Orthopede described the cartilage as looking like crabmeat, it was jagged and rough). The cartilage on the bottom of my femur also has some rough spots. 25 years of competitive soccer isn't good on your knees. ;) The knee has been bothering me for a while, so I just had an MRI done last month to see if there was any new damage and he said the knee looked good, at least no worse than it did right after the scope 3 years ago. No new damage. He said it was inflamed and looked like classic arthritis in it's earlier stages. I just finished my 4 rounds of orthovisc injections and the knee does feel better, although it aches after hard runs.

Considering my left knee history, after looking at my right shoe and its excessive wear, I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with my form. Like maybe I'm overcompensating on the ride side due to my left knee issues. A chiropractor measured my legs a while ago and said they were the same length and seemed to be symmetrical.

Does anyone else have radically different wear patterns on their shoes or know if it is generally caused by specific things?

Thanks!

Quote Reply