Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Underrated Products [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fluid trainer doesn't have enough resistance for big gear, low cadence sets though :P
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elite Fly bottles for $8: big nozzle for great flow and weighs 40g less than a standard water bottle. It's funny seeing people spend $50 on a carbon cage to save 10g and then put a regular heavy water bottle in it

CycleOps hammer: the thing is so solid, made in the US, and I just don't see why Wahoo has such a large market share.

Nike React Odyssey: Almost as comfy as Adidas Ultraboost, springier than the Peg Turbo, and costs 30% less.

Eklind, Klein, SK, CDI and other quality tools: For non-bike specific tools, go with trusted professional brands, not bike tool brands. There seems to be a mark-up and quality reduction when it's bike specific. Park Tools and others are great for bike-specific stuff but wrenches, for example, use super soft metal that warps too easily with use. Same goes for torque wrenches
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
To go along with the proper bike work stand, which is essential, two underrated items to supplement it are
  • Nitrile gloves for bike maintenance
  • Parts washer and ultrasonic cleaner

Having worked in a shop, I can say the level of improper maintenance/repair going on by riders (not just apathy, but actually f*cking things up) is astonishing.

If we all wrench our bikes perfectly there’d be even less work for bike shops. I try to do much of my own maintenance now, but when I get stuck I just take it in and let them known I probably f***d some stuff up.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that fan. Get it angle just right and it’s perfect
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
In all the hype over zwift & smart trainers, the humble dumb trainer and/or rollers. They just work.

I’ve never used rollers. But still have my dumb trainer as a backup. Nothing wrong with it. I do like my smart trainer but the simplicity of the dumb trainer was always nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
  1. New Balance Beacon shoes - Great for 70.3 and above
  2. Adidas Boston 7 shoes - Incredible for anything shorter than a 70.3
  3. Sweatband
  4. Cheap Senso Bluetooth ear buds
  5. Treadmills (no more than $2K) are awesome life changers
  6. Netflix and Hulu
  7. Pull Buoy - Biggest difference in my consistency in swim training
  8. Sprint Races - The funnest distance in Tri.
  9. IM Talk Podcast - Once you start understanding Bevan James' thick kiwi accent the podcast is great!
  10. Membership to a good Tri Club can be invaluable.

New balance beacon. I’d never heard of those. I wear the new balance zantes. The beacon looks nice.

Sprint distance. Yes! So much fun. I think part of it is so many new triathletes and people not taking it so serious as nobody is qualifying for kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also going to add shaving products marketed to women. I can shave my legs with wild abandon and get nary a nick with Gillette Venus razors (with replaceable heads!) and some shaving cream. Never tried it on my armpits, I have to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
I'm also going to add shaving products marketed to women. I can shave my legs with wild abandon and get nary a nick with Gillette Venus razors (with replaceable heads!) and some shaving cream. Never tried it on my armpits, I have to say.

wild abandon! Sounds like a party at your house. Just make sure you agree on a safe word beforehand.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Shimano 105 - way better than it gets credit for
Felt B14 - competent frame with Ultegra for a song
Bell Javelin / Giro Advantage helmets
Wahoo Bolt
Kirt Kinetic Road Machine

Missed it my first read through, but I'm excited to see the B14 on your list. I bought one as my first TT bike a few months ago and honestly haven't been able to find much information about how people like it. I rode it 2-3 times per week through the winter on the trainer and have only taken it outside for 2 rides. So far I love it, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
  3. Sweatband
  6. Netflix and Hulu
  9. IM Talk Podcast - Once you start understanding Bevan James' thick kiwi accent the podcast is great!

New balance beacon. I’d never heard of those. I wear the new balance zantes. The beacon looks nice.

Sprint distance. Yes! So much fun. I think part of it is so many new triathletes and people not taking it so serious as nobody is qualifying for kona

I'm a long-time Zante fan but I think the Beacons might be better. They're lighter and the cushioning is amazing. Not sure if I'd race in them as I prefer something a little more responsive, but as everyday trainers they are pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tanzbodeli wrote:
Missed it my first read through, but I'm excited to see the B14 on your list. I bought one as my first TT bike a few months ago and honestly haven't been able to find much information about how people like it. I rode it 2-3 times per week through the winter on the trainer and have only taken it outside for 2 rides. So far I love it, but I don't have anything to compare it to.
No kidding. I am amazed that the B14 does not get more praise; it is an incredible value. By contrast, the Cervelo P2 is $800 more. I have never seen a side-by-side B14 and P2 comparison, but it is hard to fathom that the P2 is faster out of the box with its cruddy cockpit and dirty cable routing (and that rear brake). It seems like it would take another few hundred dollars of P2 upgrades to get it on par with a B14 out of the box, and then you still have a 105 bike-- a very expensive 105 bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Dude.

That's THE Dude to you, thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
mickison wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
  3. Sweatband
  6. Netflix and Hulu

I'm a long-time Zante fan but I think the Beacons might be better. They're lighter and the cushioning is amazing. Not sure if I'd race in them as I prefer something a little more responsive, but as everyday trainers they are pretty awesome.

I just ordered a pair of the beacons. $100 isn’t bad. I doubt I’ll hate them. My only IM I used the Hoka conquests which they don’t make anymore. Hoka’s are okay they just feel clunky to me. The zantes are nice but now I’ve seen they’ve sort of split it into different models
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never tried them, but already two professional marathoners sponsored by other brands have been caught with disguised 4%s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel bike, Road bike, MTB.... n+1; because riding the tri bike all the time is boring
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chamois cream!
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rancilio Silvia
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree about the Beacons. One of my favorite shoes right now. My only gripe with them, was the insole sliding around. I've since glued mine and never had the issue again. I just hope they don't go changing anything if they make a V2
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Tall_Coffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will. They always do. Load up on V1 when it goes on sale after V2 comes out.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Everything DeSoto but especially the 2 piece wetsuit. Why more people don't try it I will never know.

Only thing I can think of as well, amazing wetsuit. 'Underrated' due to those that haven't tried it. Tried Roka Maverick, B70 Helix, Huub, always ended up back with my Desoto T1. Shoulder freedom and ease of putting on and taken off is way ahead of the others.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha. i put a helmet, goggles, and an old speedo in a bag in my trunk. it stays there. whatever i might forget (i won't forget my bike) on race day, i'll always be able to race.

Quote | Reply
oddbudman wrote:
Rancilio Silvia

This... đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old inner tube I use as a band for swimming.

A Good bottle cage/bottle combo that hangs on to bottles perfectly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this really counts as a “product”, swimming pools with lane lines installed at the correct height. A couple of years ago my pool replaced the bulkhead. The original one had anchor points that were about 4-6 inches above the water surface, I’d constantly be hitting my hands on the lanelines especially doing fly. Ouch.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next