Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Underrated Products [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Real chain wax.

I used to spend a lot of time constantly cleaning my drivetrain and re-applying drip lube. Wet or dry.

Then the huge mess of black tar everywhere. Gross. Inefficient. Hard to clean.

The time investment in ultrasonic and a crock pot to cook chains has been a game changer on the bike.

No more "Cat 5 racer chainring tattoos". No more nasty stains on bike clothes or door handles. Constantly cleaner and equally (or more) wattage savings.

I think people see the up-front time investment as moronic. I've argued this into the ground with some roadie clubbies who like to constantly re-clean and top off on drip lube. They just don't believe you. But will constantly talk about re-cleaning and see them top-up lube before every ride.

I bought a spare chain for each bike type and have it ready to roll.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Body Glide
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK Jason you are a legitimately real swimmer and I should have qualified my statement that it need not apply to real swimmers ;)

But for us fakers pacing and stroke rate..... the struggle is real! This little beeper can address both needs.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Everything DeSoto but especially the 2 piece wetsuit. Why more people don't try it I will never know.
Many great products from DeSoto but bike shorts are not one of them. Their 400 mile bibs are terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
AFAIK Jason you are a legitimately real swimmer and I should have qualified my statement that it need not apply to real swimmers ;)

But for us fakers pacing and stroke rate..... the struggle is real! This little beeper can address both needs.

RealAB is a much better swimmer than I am, and I know he uses the tempo trainer. And Olympic medalist Cody Miller has talked about using one in his vlog. So I agree that they are useful, I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to use it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Another vote for 105. The newest series (R7000) is excellent
- TriSlide

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Many great products from DeSoto but bike shorts are not one of them. Their 400 mile bibs are terrible.

hmm, I like my 400 mile bike shorts (not bibs). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Real chain wax.

I used to spend a lot of time constantly cleaning my drivetrain and re-applying drip lube. Wet or dry.

Then the huge mess of black tar everywhere. Gross. Inefficient. Hard to clean.

The time investment in ultrasonic and a crock pot to cook chains has been a game changer on the bike.

No more "Cat 5 racer chainring tattoos". No more nasty stains on bike clothes or door handles. Constantly cleaner and equally (or more) wattage savings.

I think people see the up-front time investment as moronic. I've argued this into the ground with some roadie clubbies who like to constantly re-clean and top off on drip lube. They just don't believe you. But will constantly talk about re-cleaning and see them top-up lube before every ride.

I bought a spare chain for each bike type and have it ready to roll.

+1 on the wax (vs lube) chain. Best bike wrench/maintenance/upkeep move I've ever made on my bike.

If you wrench your own bike, I'd go so far as to say this is a MUST-do. You will be able to mess with everything full out, and never have to worry about permanent grease stains. Rendered the entire gallon+ of orange degreaser and my ultrasonic cleaner obsolete. Costs <$25 in total startup costs excluding the chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sweatband

cheap wireless bluetooth earbuds - link below

recovery shakes

lasco blower fans - link below

8 port usb "power strip" - link below

and I'll agree with previous posters nominations of speedplay pedals & Nike vaporfly 4%

https://www.amazon.com/...9QCCS3Z38VVP8SZZFSKW

https://www.amazon.com/...5016019425&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To go along with the proper bike work stand, which is essential, two underrated items to supplement it are
  • Nitrile gloves for bike maintenance
  • Parts washer and ultrasonic cleaner

Having worked in a shop, I can say the level of improper maintenance/repair going on by riders (not just apathy, but actually f*cking things up) is astonishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xtenex laces. So superior to any other speed lace I've seen that it still surprises me that anyone uses any other type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finis agility paddles are the best paddles I've ever had. I also had strokemakers and the Sporti paddles, which I really liked. I currently also have the Tyr snorkel.

I'm wearing a Tyr polymesh square-bottom suit.

Swedish goggles and the Hind Compy (and clones) are the simplest and most efficient goggles I've ever used. Lose one? No problem!! For the $4/each, you can buy many more!

In fact, I'd say goggles are THE single most important thing to happen to swimming and triathlon, EVER. Go ahead, flame me.
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Xtenex laces. So superior to any other speed lace I've seen that it still surprises me that anyone uses any other type.

+1. I really love mine and found they are the best of all speed laces I've tried (a lot)

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Continental Ultra Sport II tires.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Shimano Sora.

Yeah it's that good. I'd run this forever if it weren't for.the intentional incompatibility with 11spd.

how's the shifting compare to 105?
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
Finis Tempo Trainer

It's been mentioned before but if you aren't using this thing you are doing yourself a major disservice especially if your bike is full of marginal gain stuff.

Yes. Just started using it about a month ago and required a little getting used to, but it has really helped me dial in varying effort levels and be consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
145mm cranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. New Balance Beacon shoes - Great for 70.3 and above
  2. Adidas Boston 7 shoes - Incredible for anything shorter than a 70.3
  3. Sweatband
  4. Cheap Senso Bluetooth ear buds
  5. Treadmills (no more than $2K) are awesome life changers
  6. Netflix and Hulu
  7. Pull Buoy - Biggest difference in my consistency in swim training
  8. Sprint Races - The funnest distance in Tri.
  9. IM Talk Podcast - Once you start understanding Bevan James' thick kiwi accent the podcast is great!
  10. Membership to a good Tri Club can be invaluable.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all the hype over zwift & smart trainers, the humble dumb trainer and/or rollers. They just work.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brake pads
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
In fact, I'd say goggles are THE single most important thing to happen to swimming and triathlon, EVER. Go ahead, flame me.

I dunno, I feel like I could do a triathlon without a goggles, but a bike on the other hand...

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Essentials:
Flip flops (I am NOT walking around the locker room in bare feet. No way)

Oh how I wish you could get this through the thick skull of my other half
Quote Reply
Re: Underrated Products [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velox canis wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Essentials:
Flip flops (I am NOT walking around the locker room in bare feet. No way)

Oh how I wish you could get this through the thick skull of my other half

Possibly the best $2 I've ever spent. I get them when they go on sale at Old Navy, a pair lasts about a year.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
In all the hype over zwift & smart trainers, the humble dumb trainer and/or rollers. They just work.

Funny, I was thinking of going back to dumb trainer. Big ring sets on a fluid pro will make you a hill climbing monster.

Adding: Skechers running. Razor 3s >>>>>> 4%
Quote Reply

Prev Next