Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Unbreakable Runner and Crossfit Endurance
Quote | Reply
So I recently have added crossfit to my training as part of a 6-week training program with a local gym. I've already told everyone I'm a triathlete so I needed something new to tell people about myself at parties. Anyways I am about 3 weeks in and really enjoying adding a strength component to my regimen, and feel like my legs are responding well on both the bike and run. While I know that strength training is a hot bed of debate in the ST forum I wanted to dive in and see what I could find out about others who have tried to blend the two into the very least a successful short course program and that is how I stumbled upon the
"Unbreakable Runner" by Brian Mackenzie. It seems that he started a "Crossfit Endurance" program which peaked my interest, but it seems that has now transformed into "Power, Strength, Endurance." Which looks kind of just like another endurance coaching platform.

Overall my dive into the subject has really just resulted in what seems like people frustrated with a group pushing "products" and crossfit vs. a functional blending of the two, but I have no idea. Did I miss the entire movement? Has it come and gone and been proven wrong or was the appetite from the triathlon/endurance community just not there at the time? I guess I wasn't plugged into either community at the time of the release so 4 years later here I am trying to make sense of how it played out and wondering if anyone has seen success following some of the training plans the book provides? Or on the flip side found that it was a waste of time. I'm going to continue to do what I enjoy but just was curious as I finish up the book.
Quote Reply
Re: Unbreakable Runner and Crossfit Endurance [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With just a modicum of searching you should be able to find that the ST consensus opinion is that approach is complete hokum. I thought it was already in the graveyard of failed training ideologies but here you are. Do it if you enjoy it but not if you want to get faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Unbreakable Runner and Crossfit Endurance [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
With just a modicum of searching you should be able to find that the ST consensus opinion is that approach is complete hokum. I thought it was already in the graveyard of failed training ideologies but here you are. Do it if you enjoy it but not if you want to get faster.
+1
I believe there are also articles that explain the physiological contradictions between both sports.....

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Unbreakable Runner and Crossfit Endurance [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i guess id ask "is Crossfit a strength program?"

I see TONS of WOD's with ZERO strength to them.

Lots or rowing, or running or burpees, etc.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply