Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [jacknine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going for a run. You're right. The weather couldn't be more perfect!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have fun and stay safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In Reply To
Why is my sig line offensive, when it is a request not to apply a phrase to me?

FWTW, I don't believe you started the argument with House but then didn't let it go either.[/reply]
But if your English, Irish or Scotish (EDIT to add Welsh) are you not also British? Of course European geography is not my strong suit. But I can find Michigan on a world map."

--------

Technically Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not Great Britain....but who is splitting hairs? I happen to agree with the point of your post AND find the signature to be both offensive and bizarre....

Unless of course Julian is in posesson of a unique "English" passport? I'm sure he also refuses to support GB in the Olympic games and would opt to not represent GB in the Triathlon World Championships...

God knows what he thinks of Simon Lessing, Andrew Johns, Leanda Cave et al who are all British but neither English, Scottish or Welsh.

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Last edited by: t2k: Sep 23, 07 17:29
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you enjoy being called a North American?"

last time i checked there was no such nationality.

Serious Question: do you own a passport and which country was it issued by?

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Knowing the history of oppression and tyranny that the Welsh, Scottish and Irish suffered at the hands of the English throughout centuries, Julian's little "innocent" and "personal" remark is clearly a xenophobe affirmation. He is either stupid or ignorant enough to believe that it's not offensive, or maybe he thinks that we are stupid or ignorant."

Thank you Paulo. This is precisely why I take offence to the signature and I am also English/British (and FWIW, I'm not a pompous twat either :-).

(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Do you enjoy being called a North American?

I really don't care what people call me.

But since I am an Earthling, Northern Hemispherion, North American, United States of American, Michigander, troll, Oakland Countian, Noivite. I would not tell someone not to call me any of these which are all accurate and correct.

Now if you called me a Norwegian, British, English, Danish, I would also not be offended because my ancestors came from those regions, along with others I can not recall at the moment.

Oh and If you want to call me Canadian, thats fine to they have a cool flag, you would be wrong but thats ok with me.

Ya know the more I think about it I would like to be called North American (if we all started that it would be one step closer to uniting with Canada (hey aer money is on even exchange now)

As a fellow Englishman to Julian, I support all of his comments 100%....similarly, I am English, not British, but I am a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Having said that, what I cannot understand is why DavHamm (not to single you out, but simply for example) would want to be called anything but American, as that is his nationality. I do not understand the American infactuation with being anything but American.....I don't know how many times an American has told me they are Polish or German etc.....never American.

Also DavHamm, a correction on the above, should it not be Novi-ite?

Lastly, for clarification, Ireland has nothing to do with Britain, Great Britain, United Kingdom etc. Northern Ireland does, but not the Republic of Ireland...an entirely separate entity.
Well, if you look I do have American in there and thats fine to me. What makes up your Nationality Whats on your Passport, Then I am American and I believe you are British. If it is the country of my forefathers they were not from this country. If we go back 1 or 2 generations I am American, 3 Nope no longer Then i am part Dane. After about 5 generations back I have no American in my genealogy.

So I am proud to be an American, but if you ask my my nationality I would usually respond with my genetic make up from the old country, why cause thats what most people over here mean when asking that, they know I was born in this country and that makes my citizenship American. From Wiki: Generally, nationality is established at birth by a child's place of birth (jus soli) and/or bloodline (jus sanguinis). So most Americans, assume people know there jus soli, and are telling their jus sanquinis. It appears both are correct.

Novi-ite, Novian? Michiganian Michigander? Whatever you want. Of course I was born in Detroit, raised In Dearborn and Dearborn Heights, so maybe I should include those Oh ya my first yr of life was in Warren. Like I said it really is meaningless to me what people want to call me, its just a label.

Ya I admit mentioning Ireland was proof of my ignorance in world geography, though further research did show it is a point of contention.

Now if I can ask you a question without offending you, why do you want to deny that England is part of Great B**. I really don't know or understand, and it appears to be to sensitive for Julian to explain. If you are uncomfortable answering thats fine I will ask my neighbor or some of my Co-workers who are from your country. Hopefully that won't hit me.

Thanks

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we put an end to this lameness once and for all by simply refering to you as a POM?

Also, special thanks for sending Lady Sovereign. Our people will be forever grateful.
Last edited by: Learn: Sep 23, 07 19:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michiganian Michigander?

Apparently it depends on whether or not you originated from Canada.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Now if I can ask you a question without offending you, why do you want to deny that England is part of Great B**. I really don't know or understand, and it appears to be to sensitive for Julian to explain. If you are uncomfortable answering thats fine I will ask my neighbor or some of my Co-workers who are from your country. Hopefully that won't hit me.

Thanks

Dave,

no offence taken, it takes a wise man to ask and understand more. I am a native of the country known as England. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc etc etc are members of the United Kingdom of Great Britain....not a country, a group linked by sovereignty. Now, to confuse items greatly, IF you were a national of a member of the Commonwealth, you used to be able to carry a British Passport in that case also....I am not informed enough to know if that is still an option. So, the country to which I have allegience is England.

I must point to this fact regarding your comments on being American. From the English view, Americans appear very proud of being American, from watching sports events growing up, to putting a hand on the heart during the national anthem......very proud. YET, when you experience America, no-one is American, everyone is Polish, Danish, a Swede, etc. It seems strange that people have a great affinity to something they never knew, and not something they are.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YET, when you experience America, no-one is American, everyone is Polish, Danish, a Swede, etc. It seems strange that people have a great affinity to something they never knew, and not something they are.

Oddly I think this is what makes America, uniquely American. We want, even encourage, other culture to some degree. However that culture falls second to the well being of the country as a whole, or at least in most cases. It really is more like a family structure. Each culture fights with the other (sibling rivalry) but when someone attacks your brother (other culture or country) we become a very supportive and solid family.

Unfortunately I'd say this applied very strong 20-30+ years and seems to apply less and less each day.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Unfortunately I'd say this applied very strong 20-30+ years and seems to apply less and less each day.

~Matt

Could not agree more.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did ask a co-worker but he left there when he was 13 but he didn't get it.

So I think what your saying is some people do not want to be identified as part of the sovereignty (even though acurate) and want to be identified by there local nation.

I think then the similiarity would be for me to say I am a Michiganian/ Michigander and dont call me an American. Granted over time our States have acted less as Nations but State really did come from Nations (as in The heads of State).

But the part I am missing is the why I get that relationship (sovereignty to nation) but whats so bad about being called British? (most Americans think British is English, English is British) Is being called European or Earthling offensive? Thats the part I am missing.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Completely agree. I remember very clearly when I was about 9 or 10 years old. It was pretty obvious that my dad was proud of his Finnish heritage, so I asked him one day, "Are we Finnish?". And he said, "no, we are Americans". I think that's how it should be...proud of your heritage, but at the end of the day, you are an American. Notably, he did not say that we are "Finnish-Americans".

Spot

Quote | Reply
From Pulp Fiction (if you forgot, Butch is played by Bruce Willis)

Esmeralda:
What is your name?
Butch: Butch.
Esmeralda: What does it mean?
Butch: I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

~Matt

Could not agree more.
30 years ago americans were just as unhappy and wishful for 30 years ago as you are today. Be here and realize that this is the best time because it is now.

hey, hey, hey, don't forget- Stan Yablonsky never cold cocked no woman.
Last edited by: RP McMurphy: Sep 27, 07 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But the part I am missing is the why I get that relationship (sovereignty to nation) but whats so bad about being called British? (most Americans think British is English, English is British) Is being called European or Earthling offensive? Thats the part I am missing.

I'm English and couldn't care less whether you call me English, British, Pom, Rosbeef or whatever, and I would guess most English people think the same.
But then I left 14 years ago so maybe I lost touch...
Just to add confusion the English xenophobic far right wing political party is called the BRITISH national party. Work that one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Technically Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom but not Great Britain....but who is splitting hairs? I happen to agree with the point of your post AND find the signature to be both offensive and bizarre....

Unless of course Julian is in posesson of a unique "English" passport? I'm sure he also refuses to support GB in the Olympic games and would opt to not represent GB in the Triathlon World Championships...

God knows what he thinks of Simon Lessing, Andrew Johns, Leanda Cave et al who are all British but neither English, Scottish or Welsh.

Man, I cannot believe how much traction this stupid little remark has generated. So I'm just going to toss in my favourite quote on the subject:

ALL. He is an Englishman!
BOAT. He is an Englishman!
For he himself has said it,
And it's greatly to his credit,
That he is an Englishman!
ALL. That he is an Englishman!
BOAT. For he might have been a Roosian,
A French, or Turk, or Proosian,
Or perhaps Itali-an!
ALL. Or perhaps Itali-an!
BOAT. But in spite of all temptations
To belong to other nations,
He remains an Englishman!
ALL. For in spite of all temptations, etc.

ALL. For he is an Englishman,
And he himself hath said it,
And it's greatly to his credit
That he is an Englishman!

Gilbert & Sullivan - HMS Pinafore

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [masdesfleurs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you leave for Provence, like many Brits? I would definitely understand...
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Provence via Germany. Now doing the same as just about every other Brit here and setting up a b&b...
Who can blame us Brits for moving somewhere with great food, mountains, sun, great biking etc etc
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

God knows what he thinks of Simon Lessing, Andrew Johns, Leanda Cave et al who are all British but neither English, Scottish or Welsh.[/reply]

actually, Leanda Cave is Welsh...Lessing is born in South Africa...Johns born in the UK but raced for both OZ and the UK...interesting choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luberon by any chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vence (06), but in a house right on the IM Nice bike course up in the hills :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a bad choice at all! Actually, Joel here is from Vence I believe...or maybe St-Paul de Vence...either way, nice area...i'm jealous.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll one up you, you English k-niggit:
[King Arthur music] [clop clop clop] ARTHUR: Halt! [horn] Hallo! [pause] Hallo! FRENCH GUARD: Allo! Who is eet? ARTHUR: It is King Arthur, and these are my Knights of the Round Table. Whose castle is this? FRENCH GUARD: This is the castle of my master, Guy de Loimbard. ARTHUR: Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail. FRENCH GUARD: Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see. ARTHUR: What? GALAHAD: He says they've already got one! ARTHUR: Are you sure he's got one? FRENCH GUARD: Oh, yes. It's very nice-a. (I told him we already got one.) FRENCH GUARDS: [chuckling] ARTHUR: Well, u-- um, can we come up and have a look? FRENCH GUARD: Of course not! You are English types-a! ARTHUR: Well, what are you, then? FRENCH GUARD: I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king-a?! GALAHAD: What are you doing in England? FRENCH GUARD: Mind your own business! ARTHUR: If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force! FRENCH GUARD: You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt! GALAHAD: What a strange person. ARTHUR: Now look here, my good man-- FRENCH GUARD: I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! GALAHAD: Is there someone else up there we could talk to? FRENCH GUARD: No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a! [sniff] ARTHUR: Now, this is your last chance. I've been more than reasonable. FRENCH GUARD: (Fetchez la vache.) OTHER FRENCH GUARD: Quoi? FRENCH GUARD: (Fetchez la vache!) [mooo] ARTHUR: If you do not agree to my commands, then I shall-- [twong] [mooooooo] Jesus Christ! KNIGHTS: Christ! [thud] Ah! Ohh! ARTHUR: Right! Charge! KNIGHTS: Charge! [mayhem] FRENCH GUARD: Hey, this one is for your mother! There you go. [mayhem] FRENCH GUARD: And this one's for your dad! ARTHUR: Run away! KNIGHTS: Run away! FRENCH GUARD: Thppppt! FRENCH GUARDS: [taunting] LAUNCELOT: Fiends! I'll tear them apart! ARTHUR: No, no. No, no. BEDEVERE: Sir! I have a plan, sir.
[later]
[wind] [saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw saw] [clunk] [bang] [rewr!] [squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak] [rrrr rrrr rrrr] [drilllll] [sawwwww] [clunk] [crash] [clang] [squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak...] [creak] FRENCH GUARDS: [whispering] C'est un lapin, lapin de bois. Quoi? Un cadeau. What? A present. Oh, un cadeau. Oui, oui. Hurry. What? Let's go. Oh. On y va. Bon magne. Over here... [squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak...] [clllank] ARTHUR: What happens now? BEDEVERE: Well, now, uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French, uh, by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed! ARTHUR: Who leaps out? BEDEVERE: U-- u-- uh, Launcelot, Galahad, and I, uh, leap out of the rabbit, uh, and uh... ARTHUR: Ohh. BEDEVERE: Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger-- [clank] [twong] ARTHUR: Run away! KNIGHTS: Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! Run away! [CRASH] FRENCH GUARDS: Oh, haw haw haw haw! Haw! Haw haw heh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very insightful. We used to celebrate what we had in common. Now we we emphasize the differences to the point where we have to put down what we have in common so that no one feels offended.
Quote Reply

Prev Next