Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do not start a discussion about supper, dinner, tea time and such. It is no where near what it is in North America. Very complicated in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian, the Watford gap is jsut the motorway services not a town. The town of Watford is MILES south of there, which just makes it even funnier. But you are right we had better get off the subject so that DavHamm can continue to taunt me ;-).

Good night.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey it is before Midnight there, why you going to be so early?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry forgot to mention. Now I get why the argue about it being more south. I am going to tell them that it is Watford Gap and not the town and get back to work the next time they bring it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you are saying england and wales are the same country?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are these people calling you things you don't like to be called?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thank you Brian for explaining the difference. The Hawaiian analogy is very good, most true Hawaiians are proudly Hawaiian and would not be happy to be called American as is the case you explained with the Irish and Scots in your post, I just can't see why it should be SO difficult for people to respect my request and refer to me at English and not a Brit. I can't talk with authority on things happening in or how people in those other countries of the British Isles feel only that of England.

Do you enjoy being called a North American?

I'm sure this won't lie down as some people just like to pick at scabs. It's hard to believe that I have had this sig line for nearly a year!

I don't mind being called North American at all, but it's not exactly the same thing. N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England are all part of the same sovereign nation. A closer analogy would be asking me if I liked being called American instead of Texan. The answer would be that I don't really care as I'm obviously both. If you are discussing something and you mean to include Mexicans, Canadians, Americans, etc... then naturally you would use the term North Americans. Would you be ok with someone using the term British if they were intending to include people from the entire UK?

Understand, I'm not trying to be an ass here, I just find this kind of stuff rather facinating.

And I don't at all mind referring to you as English if that's what you prefer. I'm just curious why you mind being called British. Do you have a problem being linked with the Welsh, Scots, and N. Irish? Knowing what little I do about the history, I guess I could see why a Scot, for example, might not like to be referred to as British, but not being from there I don't have a true understanding as to why you don't like the term British.

If any of this has offended you, I'm sorry as it wasn't my intention. Like I said, I'm just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any other 2 year old threads you can dig up? It appears people can keep adding to them even after the main discussion is long over?

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Knowing the history of oppression and tyranny that the Welsh, Scottish and Irish suffered at the hands of the English throughout centuries, Julian's little "innocent" and "personal" remark is clearly a xenophobe affirmation. He is either stupid or ignorant enough to believe that it's not offensive, or maybe he thinks that we are stupid or ignorant.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shut it you!

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is that not a case of the pot calling the kettle black
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [antiroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is alright because anything that Paulo does or says is acceptable behavior in ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before we let you leave, your commander must cross that field, present himself before this army, put his head between his legs, and kiss his own arse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Knowing the history of oppression and tyranny that the Welsh, Scottish and Irish suffered at the hands of the English throughout centuries, Julian's little "innocent" and "personal" remark is clearly a xenophobe affirmation. He is either stupid or ignorant enough to believe that it's not offensive, or maybe he thinks that we are stupid or ignorant.
Ya Paulo! I got to break out my Wolfe Tones' CD's now. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jaylew, Sorry If I caused offense, and If you prefer to be called by the E name as apposed to the B name thats fine I will probably just refer to you as JulianInEngland.

The part I don't get is the first part of your sig seems to contradict fact, It may be a fact your don't want to be reminded of but of course you bring it up every time you read one of your posts.

Jullian --- Hopefully this does not spoil your toad in the hole.

For what ever reason our neighborhood is populated with lots of English folks, including my neighbor. So I will have to have this discussion with them and maybe they can better explain whatever it is I am missing.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to retire early as I am marshalling a middle distance race this morning and have to leave home for 0615!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAve, I merely put it there to TRY unsuccessfully to stop people refering to me as British which I do not consider myself to be. Nothing more intended (dispite Paulo's continued barrage of insults) but it seems people like yourself will not allow me that minor courtesy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ae right on one point, I do think you are ignorant but not on geographical matters but in how to conduct yourself and how you treat other people. I am no more responsible for the events of 1500 years ago any more than you are of your nation in the 15/16th century nor do I bear malice to the Scandanavian people for invading England and the ensuing rape and pillage.

Since there is no sign of your treating me (or many other STers) with any common courtesy I shall revert to neither reading your offensive posts or responding to them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well said Julian. I think the best thing to do is not sink down to Paulo's level when responding to his replies to posts. If everyone does the same in every thread that he posts in then maybe the moderators will see that it is just Paulo being this way and they will do something about it.

Maybe the moderators can set up in the User profile or Display settings a place that you can type in a persons user name and just block the posts they make from appearing on your screen. Just a thought.
Last edited by: Bman: Sep 23, 07 9:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
..... I am no more responsible for the events of 1500 years ago any more than you are of your nation in the 15/16th century nor do I bear malice to the Scandanavian people for invading England and the ensuing rape and pillage. ...

See now for me this is a very close to the heart subject because my Dad's Ancestors (Scandinavian) use to rape and and pillage my Mom's ancestors (Uhm errr citizens of the big islands off the coast of France, you know the one across that channel thats connect by the chunnel)

And I think its things like the above that make Americans (the great melting pot) so nonchalant about it all.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am no more responsible for the events of 1500 years ago any more than you are of your nation in the 15/16th century nor do I bear malice to the Scandanavian people for invading England and the ensuing rape and pillage.
I am sure no american that posts here ever owned any slaves, but that doesn't entitle them to use the n-word EVER. Your signature file is an offensive xenophobe remark and your personal attacks to me don't change that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mom's ancestors (Uhm errr citizens of the big islands off the coast of France, you know the one across that channel thats connect by the chunnel)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, that's funny, Dave. I like that, very good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the moderators can set up in the User profile or Display settings a place that you can type in a persons user name and just block the posts they make from appearing on your screen. Just a thought.

==============================================================

What a lovely idea. Watch yourself though you could be next on Paulo's (s)hit list by association.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply] Your signature file is an offensive xenophobe remark and your personal attacks to me don't change that.[/reply]

You've been in the US too long obviously...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is expressing that he is English rather than British Xenophobic and that he is proud of that Xenophobic? You complaining of personal attacks is somewhat rich.
Quote Reply

Prev Next