Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we pretty much agree, I just don't think there needs to be a solution as there is already one....follow the rules. In essence nothing needs to change UNLESS people insist on being dumbasses. In which case the only thing that can and or will change is ST will cease to exist.

"but it's more of a business than a house."

I have a tendency to disagree with this. for the most part I suspect that Dan is merely "breaking even" on this forum and certainly is not putting up with the BS here for all the cash he's making. I suspect also that he's probably well off enough that whatever pitance he may make here is of little concern to him.

He has this forum because he enjoy's tri's and the people accosated with this activity. IOW he invited us all over to hang out out, not to sell us stuff. Of course all of this is specualtion on my part.

But other than that I think we agree.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU, I WAS GETTING TO THE POINT OF SKIPPING OVER MOST OF THE FORUM BECAUSE OF THE SUBJECT MATTER
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Personally I like the Rome we call ST....and currently the Ceaser is kinda pissed so let it go. There will be time enough later for feeding christians to the lions."

Man, that got me laughing...

I think of it this way -- we're on probation for an indefinite period. Personally, I'm (pleasantly) surprised that Dan puts up with as much as he does. I think I would have thrown in the towel long ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan,

I came here for the community and the sharing of tri-related info. But as of late I have found the balance between topic and off topic to be skewed out of balance.

Thank You for steering the ship

Tom Price
Triumph Multisport
http://www.triumph-multisport.com
tom@triumph-multisport.com
tomp_imc@yahoo.com

24 Ironman length races and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"want to voice my opinion that things remain loosely moderated"

you won't have to worry about that. i believe the govt that governs best governs least. i'll be the least amount intrusive here as i can. there will always be only the sparest of rules here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I have to agree with Tibbs. I don't know where this new policy making is coming from. [/reply]

And that my friend is the problem with your argument. For those who did not see the mess, It was VERY bad, and yes it was near the level of another tri-websites historic Very bad.

I think alot of the "OT" are somehow multisport related. But a few are clearly not and personal relationships are clearly way OT.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the contrary, I saw the whole thing. Everyone knew based on Slowman's OLD policy, in place since I've been around, what was going to happen. I suspect the perpetrator himself knew. It was unfortunate that it went on as long as it did, but that was due to extenuating circumstances.

Based on what Slowman has said and how he has handled things the past few days, I know this will remain the best forum (related to any subject) there is. I shouldn't have worried, he's proven himself to be a pretty sharp guy and right in tune with the way to run things.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

you won't have to worry about that. i believe the govt that governs best governs least. i'll be the least amount intrusive here as i can. there will always be only the sparest of rules here.[/reply]

this is what makes this site great, including the lavender room. everyone knows when something is obviously over the line. just follow the golden rule and we'll all be fine.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences on the passing of your friend, Dan.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tibbs: Given these posts, it would seem you are challenging Slowman to ban you--trolling him, as it were--baiting everyone on the forum. You must feel that this would be the best thing for you. Maybe you should get out and ride the P3.

Anyone ever cheated on their spouse? Mr. Tibbs 359 7 Dec 12, 2005, 9:19 AM (hasbeenswimmer)

Mr. Tibbs

Dec 12, 2005, 9:08 AM

Thanks Monk for posting my good name along side Tibbs post about cheating. Great!

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was 3 pages deep...bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You saved the day Flogganagain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan,

I haven't been posting much lately (damn I hate when work is busy).

While I like a risque discussion as much as the next guy, and I repeatedly get hauled up for calling a spade a spade, I wholeheartedly agree with your (for lack of better term) censorship. I'm generally against censorship, but as your rules tend to align pretty closely with mine, it's hard to argue with you.

Besides, life is too short to be hurtful to others. Best just to leave them alone, but some people don't seem to have figured out that concept and are just plain mean. Best to keep them off the forum and leave it for those of us that generally know how to behave.

Intereseting that you pointed out the issue of ones self importance. (and a posters relative value to ST) After you, I thought I was the most important one here, but I suspect that might be just my own overblown feelings of self importance.:-) Please feel free to ban me if I get stupid or out of hand (and I promise to try to NOT be offensive or mean to anyone)

Long live Slowtwitch!

Regards

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just checking...I guess I wasn't banished.

Hey, wasn't anybody training or racing last weekend? I was, and I guess I missed all the fun here.
Same here. Damn, you blink, you miss the action! Quite right anyway Slowman.Thanks for being the Guardian. Where is Francois when you need him? ;-)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol

this thread was made a year and a half ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But seems some have yet to read and implement. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

Condolences on the loss of your friend.
Thank you for opening your doors to us.

Personally, I was away for the weekend and missed all of the hubub - and I'm not particularly sorry that I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
lol

lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[...]
For the rest of you, this Forum has grown large, and has done so in certain measure because of its free-flowing exchange of ideas, absent of overmuch strong interference from me.
[..]
This is a triathlon forum. It is not a singles site, a personals site, and/or a place to exercise one's libertine or personally experimental tendencies. It is not a place to embarrass people, to engage in trial by internet, it is not a tool for your personal use as a way to harm others you don't like.

Accordingly, here's your warning. I don't care who you are, how long you've been here, how often you've posted, or in what sort of high regard you think you are among others on this Forum. Should you cross the line into the sort of behavior I describe above, you'll not be allowed to post here any longer. No warnings, no second chances, no apologies accepted. The great, great majority of people here are here for the right reasons, which is (of course) to talk about things relating to multisport.
[..]

Slowman, this music to my ears. This guy has some thoughts on the 'ecology of forums and social networks' written down here The relevant bit:

......."While Im up on my high horse, let me add some historical context. Social networks are not new. Go back 20 years to CompuServe and UseNet groups and then chat rooms. They all cycled through the same way. They were fun and exciting when you found people with like interests. People found the forum, group or room usually via referral. People involved learned, were educated, were entertained, whatever the forum offered. Then if the forum grew, as in any group, some participants became more popular than others, and others tried, but failed to become popular. Still, they tried to dominate conversations, and when they couldn't they tried different ways to game or sabotage the system. That pushed out the "purists" and original posters.

Then the spammers came. When the forum reaches the point where no one has a strong connection, the spammers and people trying to game the forum take over till the forum dies. Its what has become "The Ecology of Forums and Social Networks" . When a forum is open to everyone, eventually everyone shows up and the original attraction of the forum is lost. Someone has got to take responsibility for any open social network or the network will die........."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol

What the heck! I've just about read this entire thread and wondering what I missed this last weekend in September of 07!
Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [bosco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude, I just did the same thing! I was so confused.
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got into it with a few folks about 2 weeks ago. I was relieved when he said the mess all happened over the weekend.....then I saw the date and realized it was a weekend 16 months ago. Again, I'm sure I wasn't one of the culprits.

Glad I stopped reading! ; ^ )

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is kinda funny how people are still saying "Yeh good on ya" 16 months later though :-). I hope Slowman doesn't see this resurrection and put another smackdown on.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Unacceptable Forum behavior [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah the memories... That was a good weekend;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next