Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :)
Quote | Reply
I've been riding bikes a lot this year. With racing essentially cancelled I literally got my Rift Iceland "Fire and Ice" themed Domane finished up the day before the race cancelled. Ouch. I'm at ~9300 miles ytd for 2020. I have lots of testing on this new setup and I'm back to 2x for the time being...at least until someone drops a 12 speed 40 cog :)

History for me is I did DK and DAMn (240) last year with 1 x 11. It was fine but I want that 10 cog. Then for Gravel Worlds I went back to 2x. I fell in love with synchro shift and man...man...it's sweet having all those gears and never physically shifting the front. For 2020 I am running an experiment. I'm currently running 52-36 and 11-28 with the regular 8050 RD, but GRX FD. It's been 100% flawless though according to Shimano this is not an appropriate application.

Why GRX? It gives me more tire clearance. I can put a 40MM with good clearance on the Domane SLR. So I've got a very solid road contender and a very solid gravel contender. Yep...it's not a dump truck for courses with terrible stuff. DK has terrible stuff. It's probably not an adventure type rig according to the masses, but 40 is a big tire and 99% of what I ride is road or mostly hero gravel with a little minimum maintenance stuff. I don't have a want for a dump truck type bike for the 1% of the time I need it :)

This 180 mile ride I did Friday was probably the most epic ride I've done in the upper midwest and easily harder than any gravel ride I've done. 15,500' in 180 miles. And hard climbs. 24 of them. The shifting was flawless, but yes....yes....52-36 was a big gear even at 145#. LOL. If you are ever in the area looking for the ultimate gravel (~50%) gravel challenge in Coulee Country look no further. This was a gem.

100% self supported. No stops. 3 bottles. I ate a lot including 15 ounces of Maple Syrup and 8 Clif bars...ha...and no I'm not sponsored by Clif. I sponsor them! I am sponsored by Anderson's Maple syrup! Thank goodness.

So if you are looking for the little extra tire clearance and currently running the 8050 FD do not hesitate to swap to the GRX. It's flawless. At least until SRAM drops a 40-10 then I'll likely never own another FD ever again!

FINISH LINE!!!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: May 18, 20 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an amazing ride!

Did you need to use a spacer or something on the chainset? I've read the GRX chainline has an offset of 2.5 mm I think?

I'm thinking in building a gravel/all-road frame with GRX, and I would like to have 165mm crank arms and at least 48 teeth, but Shimano somehow doesn't like this setup, because:
RX600 crankset has 165mm arms, but only goes to 46/30, and RX810 crankset has 48/31, but the crank arms start at 170mm... With a 105/Ultegra crank I can easily find 52/36 with 165mm arms...

I'm still trying to find if I can use the RX810 chainrings fit on RX600, but from what I could gather on the website, it does not....

Other options would be Rotor Aldhu, but for that I would need to increase my budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is if you do that ride again this summer, stop by that blueberry farm in Maiden Rock for a good pit stop. Rush Produce is the name I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 10+ hours on only 3 bottles? Yikes! Otherwise looks like a fun route.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero issues. All I did was set the limit on the FD correctly for initial setup. Yep I was a little nervous using something other than for its intended purpose could be bad. It's not the first time I've done that with Shimano. That said I've never had a problem going out of spec with anything Shimano. It's flawless. The 8050 RD is also flawless. Zero chain jumps and auto shifting.

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
So 10+ hours on only 3 bottles? Yikes! Otherwise looks like a fun route.

Thinking the same thing, sounds awfully thirsty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, impressive ride and mileage total.

Not a surprise the GXR FD works well. I've been riding a 1x setup with Ultegra Di2 shifters and XTR RD for a couple years, and it works flawlessly.

I'm lusting after a new Domane, that looks like a wicked good rig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a pretty awesome setup for Gravel! I like the gearing choice. I just setup my boone with 50/34 crankset with ultegra di2 FD and GRX di2 rear der with 11/40 XT cassette and the shifting is flawless. It gives me 535% range and enough gearing for the steep gravel climbs I encounter in my area. Plan on doing some big gravel rides this summer....should be fun!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually used that same 1x setup last year due to your posting the success you've had with it. There is only one thing missing there for me and that's the 10 cog and 12th gear :) Once we can get that 40T with a 10 and 12 speeds I'm in!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the 10t changes the game for smaller front ring. Wish Shimano would roll one out, and also 12spd.

How do you like the Domane? Are you riding as just a gravel rig or daily driver? Thought I saw you state somewhere that you fit 40s on it?

Your big ride is lighting the flame to go out and do something epic. Motivation (and life) has been in the way the past few weeks but stuff like that gets me thinking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I am sponsored by Anderson's Maple syrup!

Hook a brother up!
Anderson's is actually pretty good and relatively inexpensive.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lsousa wrote:
That's an amazing ride!

Did you need to use a spacer or something on the chainset? I've read the GRX chainline has an offset of 2.5 mm I think?

I'm thinking in building a gravel/all-road frame with GRX, and I would like to have 165mm crank arms and at least 48 teeth, but Shimano somehow doesn't like this setup, because:
RX600 crankset has 165mm arms, but only goes to 46/30, and RX810 crankset has 48/31, but the crank arms start at 170mm... With a 105/Ultegra crank I can easily find 52/36 with 165mm arms...

I'm still trying to find if I can use the RX810 chainrings fit on RX600, but from what I could gather on the website, it does not....

Other options would be Rotor Aldhu, but for that I would need to increase my budget.

Rotor now offers the Vegast crank arms in a 165mm arm length; both a 30mm axle version and a 24mm axle. Should be ~$150 cheaper than the Aldhu, maybe 40 grams heavier? I don't think the 24mm axle version is showing on Rotor-America's website yet, but it's on the international site here: https://rotorbike.com/...ast-cranks-1563.html . No "offset road axle" option for the 24mm version, though (Aldhu or Vegast).

OP, that's a beautiful bike, and an epic ride! My wife and I did a couple of SCCA National Tour Road Rallies (Time/Speed/Distance style) in that area back in the late 2000's. It feels like I'd imagine the Alpine foothills to be (without the Alps in the background, of course!). Lovely scenery, lots of switch-back climbs and descents, charming little towns in the valleys.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: May 21, 20 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fire and ice theme was completed ONE DAY before I found out Rift was cancelled. :( Yes I might still go...and yes I might still ride the race if I can on race day (if safe to do so).

The Domane is the best all around bike I've ridden period. The SLR and iso speed is sweet. I have the identical paint themed Madone in the same white and blue. Don't tell anyone, but without doing legit aerolab type testing I cannot find a difference in speed between the bikes. Yes the Domane feels a bit more slack. I don't think that's a bad thing. The Madone feels slightly stiffer out of the saddle, but I'm not sure that makes it faster. The Domane is an incredible "quiver killer." Yes I'll be riding it at DK.

And yep...with the GRX FD or no FD it clears an actual 40 all day long.

Epic is just starting. Once I hit 10K (about Tue next week) I'm planning to do some stupid stuff. I have Everesting something dumb like Evans on my mind. Hoping riding a bit few miles, but bigger / epic rides.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What tires you running there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Domane is the best all around bike I've ridden period.

Damn it, that's what I was afraid of. My buddy and I did a 150-mile 15k ride called the Sierra foothills called Uber Monster, and rode by all kinds of dirt roads that'll be revisited this summer. It's the year of make your own adventure for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it looks good!

If anyone reads this and have the same issue, another option that I found out is the Praxis ZAYANTE AL, seems the cheapest (probably weights more as well) but they are compatible with 4iiii powermeters. The off-road offset might not be as problematic as it seems according with reports. Worst case scenario I replace the FR for a "standard" road. I'm going to be honest, the only thing that makes me ignore the 105/Ultegra crankset is because I prefer the looks of GRX/Praxis/Rotor on a gravel biker, lol. On my road and TT bike I have 105 and I couldn't be happier.

I think for now I'll try to spend as less as I can on the crankset, and along the way maybe invest in a Power2Max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lsousa wrote:
I think for now I'll try to spend as less as I can on the crankset, and along the way maybe invest in a Power2Max.

Power2Max are supposedly on the verge of offering an NG/NGeco spider with smaller bcd's for mounting gravel-friendly chainring sizes. Given that they've partnered with Rotor for their own-brand crank arms, I suspect that Rotor Direct Mount will be at least one of the spider options for this gravel power meter.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my 1x setup last year I used Force 1 with a Wolf Tooth ring and P2M power meter. It was a brilliant zero hassle setup. I just can't say enough good about Power2Max. I don't recall a single glitch ever.

Contrast that to I think I'm on about my 8th set of Vector 3's. They take care of me when issues arise, but I'm patiently waiting for Vector 4's to solve all the issues with the 3's :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's terrific. thanks for sharing that here.

you put a 40mm tire on a domane? i didn't realize a domane could handle a tire that big. i'm running 10-50 1x and i have no complaints. but i think i have hills a lot steeper and longer than what you might have where you are, so i need that 42x50. the only thing about 1x, i find that i have better luck with longer chainstays. i probably won't put a 1x on a bike with a chainstay shorter than 415mm.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same experience with P2M, I have a Type S Rotor 3D on my road bike and it has been rock solid, and no need to zero-offset every ride since it will do automatic whenever I stop pedaling, is really nice.

As always the issue is budget, so no powermeter or expensive crank for now :) I already doubled my starting budget for my N+1, was going for an aluminium cyclocross bike, and now I'm on the verge on getting an "all-road" steel frameset and build it myself. It'll be my first build... let's see if I don't need to pick everything and go to a LBS to build it :) I really like the idea of a road bike with extra tire clearance, it may not be a pure speed aero machine, but it's really versatile :)
Last edited by: lsousa: May 21, 20 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate 2x gravel. Self-support. No stops :) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan I'm confirming there is adequate clearance with a 40 actual. That's as in the Bontrager GR1 on the Vanquish Rim. That tire actually hit the 8050 FD. I believe the minimum clearance anywhere on my bike with the GRX FD is 4-5mm.

I also did mock up a Challenge Gravel Grinder 42. That tire cleared, but you wouldn't want to run that on any icky surface as clearance is 1-2mm. I know guys that have done that with success over very long races, but it's not for me.

My go to tires are generally Panaracer slicks. So Panaracer not offering a 40mm slick I have a ton....ton of clearance with the 38....that measures 38.

See pic attached of GR1 40mm (actual)....lots of daylight and yep there's lots of daylight to the BB when the pic is taken from the correct also. I believe this slid a 5mm allen key through everywhere no issues.

Last edited by: cmscat50: May 22, 20 6:40
Quote Reply