Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra vs 105 cassette
Quote | Reply
Are there any performance advantages to going with an Ultegra cassette vs a 105 other than weight?
Im setting up a new rear HED Jet disc to have as another race option other than my HED Jet 9 rear which at the moment has an Ultegra cassette but for half the price I can get a 105.
Cuss and discuss......
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra vs 105 cassette [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably mostly weight and some improved shifting quality. I have all three levels, and I think my Ultegra shifts better than my 105, but it could be psychological. My DA definitely shifts better than my others, but it also has the advantage of very close ratios (11-23).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a collection of 105 and Ultegra cassettes. The only difference I can measure is weight.

They shift the same for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been able to tell the difference, SRAM or Shimano, mountain or road.

I usually choose based on availability and gear ratios (the steps on SRAM are sometimes different than Shimano)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a Dura-Ace cassette?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want some extra beer money?

Honestly 105 is so good these days it's hard to go wrong with it. The bling factor is there with ultegra comparatively. I prefer to worry about performance vs bling though.

I have a mix of Da, Ult and 105 cassettes. It's really hard to tell which is which with my ultegra FD & RD. I want to say there's a huge difference and I race with my DA cassette usually, but I've also put on the 105 cassette and not realized it until post race.

ETA: I switched to a SRAM cassette that now lives permanently on my disc wheel bc it has a 16 in it. I'm also thinking of switching to one for my training wheel since I do love me a 16 in the back

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 4, 20 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra vs 105 cassette [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think, 11-23 or 11-28. Non of my races are very hilly so I may like the closer gear ratio of the 11-23.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered 12-25?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
What do you think, 11-23 or 11-28. Non of my races are very hilly so I may like the closer gear ratio of the 11-23.

go 11-25 maybe & split the difference? or a 12-23 or 12-25 if you rarely use the 11. I'd figure out the 3-4 cogs I use the most and make sure that is in there and worry less about the ends of the cassette. maybe optimize for the straightest possible chain line?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 4, 20 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dura-Ace CS-R9100 12-25T might be your best bet: 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might not be the comment you're looking for... but just in case... I just put on a no-namer CHEAP 11/28 cassette from Amazon on a direct mount smart trainer. Works like a charm.
Quote Reply