Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uberman - Let's discuss
Quote | Reply
I ran into this today. Wanted the ST clan to have a gander at it?

Am I mistaken that the organizer wants to the racers to do the Channel swim solo? Cause that would 1. Dumb 2. Suicide.

http://www.uberman1.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [t daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, I though this was going to be a twitch hunt about a guy who cut the course by using Uber.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know that I have the sheer force of will to be an uberman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The field will be limited to 20 athletes. This is a self-supported event. You, and you alone, are responsible for your own safety. You are expected to complete the route under your own power. Please consider your own physical abilities and navigation skills as there will be no assistance provided. This is not an organized or sanctioned event.

if its not organized, then how can there be a limit on athletes.

My guess is that this was not permitted through NPS/Death Valley National Park. I'd guess they will not be too keen on this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this not Arch to Arc, Enduroman?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
Is this not Arch to Arc, Enduroman?

Same idea it seems, but 'merica.
Also wayyyyyy longer and more miserable bike and run (because 'merica).

This is kinda like the original IM in its genesis. "hey, if we ride our bikes from the finish of the Catalina Island Swim to the start of the Badwater Ultramarathon...."
So in that essence it's pretty cool. Absolutely insane, but adventurous in a cool way.

IG: idking90
Last edited by: iank: Sep 16, 15 15:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
t daddy wrote:
Am I mistaken that the organizer wants to the racers to do the Channel swim solo? Cause that would 1. Dumb 2. Suicide. http://www.uberman1.com/

When they say "solo", I think they mean each swimmer provides his/her own support boat, or at least that is my understanding of standard practice for long solo OW swims. Not that i have any plans to sign up but, JOOC, i looked at the Web site. Anyone else notice the estimated times of completion??? They seem to be waaaaaay off as they've estimated the 21.2 mile swim at 3:36:36, which comes out to averaging around 35 sec/100 yd; i've seen some strong currents but wow that takes the cake. Acc to the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation Web site (http://swimcatalina.com/...ul-swims/individuals) the record for the Channel swim, going from the island to the mainland ("CM" in the records chart) is 7:27, so i think the Uberman organizers are way, way off base with the 3:36 estimate:)

And then, on the bike, they estimate 49:18 for the 500 miles and 16,559 ft elevation gain, which comes out to about 10 mph. Sure, this is a very tough ride and you've already swum for likely 12 hrs or more, but surely one could at least average 12 mph.

On the run, another ludicrous estimate: 25:54 for 152.4 mi and 14,441 ft elevation gain, in atrociously hot conditions. This implies 10:12/mile which is clearly absurd; that pace would be hard even if you had not already done th S and B.

It is strange that the Web site says about 4 or 5 times that "this is not an organized or sanctioned event" but yet says "the field will be limited to 20 athletes".

Anyway, very challenging race:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
t daddy wrote:
Am I mistaken that the organizer wants to the racers to do the Channel swim solo? Cause that would 1. Dumb 2. Suicide. http://www.uberman1.com/

When they say "solo", I think they mean each swimmer provides his/her own support boat, or at least that is my understanding of standard practice for long solo OW swims. Not that i have any plans to sign up but, JOOC, i looked at the Web site. Anyone else notice the estimated times of completion??? They seem to be waaaaaay off as they've estimated the 21.2 mile swim at 3:36:36, which comes out to averaging around 35 sec/100 yd; i've seen some strong currents but wow that takes the cake. Acc to the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation Web site (http://swimcatalina.com/...ul-swims/individuals) the record for the Channel swim, going from the island to the mainland ("CM" in the records chart) is 7:27, so i think the Uberman organizers are way, way off base with the 3:36 estimate:)

And then, on the bike, they estimate 49:18 for the 500 miles and 16,559 ft elevation gain, which comes out to about 10 mph. Sure, this is a very tough ride and you've already swum for likely 12 hrs or more, but surely one could at least average 12 mph.

On the run, another ludicrous estimate: 25:54 for 152.4 mi and 14,441 ft elevation gain, in atrociously hot conditions. This implies 10:12/mile which is clearly absurd; that pace would be hard even if you had not already done th S and B.

It is strange that the Web site says about 4 or 5 times that "this is not an organized or sanctioned event" but yet says "the field will be limited to 20 athletes".

Those are routes created with Strava, so they are more just kind of included in the screenshot as a Strava feature and aren't really the organizer's specific estimate. You can't create a "Swim" route so that is really an estimate for a 21mi run. Note they are estimated MOVING time. Also, it's based on the 4 week average pace in that discipline for whoever took the screenshots https://strava.zendesk.com/...-for-a-Strava-Route-. Does not factor in huge distance, heat, etc...

What's with the out-and-back on the bike? 465 or whatever was not enough? Had to round up? Jesus
Last edited by: mcnnr27: Sep 17, 15 0:06
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a better race idea. Called ultra-uber-Iron Man.

Swim from the shores of California to China, ride to England, swim from England to NYC, then run to California from there.

That oughta do it. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [NavEEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean something like this?

http://www.danmartinextreme.com/home.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will there be a timing mat at mile 200 of the bike (that nice little out and back)?

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running up the thousand switchback trail and the last 1/2 mile across the summit ridge..... Hope no-one falls off, that ridge trail is pretty non technical in the absence of either snow or hallucinations, but there are some big drops.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [TriMeSBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will IronCowboy be signing up?
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [mcnnr27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnnr27 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
t daddy wrote:

Those are routes created with Strava, so they are more just kind of included in the screenshot as a Strava feature and aren't really the organizer's specific estimate. You can't create a "Swim" route so that is really an estimate for a 21mi run. Note they are estimated MOVING time. Also, it's based on the 4 week average pace in that discipline for whoever took the screen shots https://strava.zendesk.com/...-for-a-Strava-Route-. Does not factor in huge distance, heat, etc...
What's with the out-and-back on the bike? 465 or whatever was not enough? Had to round up? Jesus

Ah, Strava...as you might guess, i've never used it but now that you explain it, this makes sense. I did not notice that out-and-back section, you're right, 465 mi should be plenty:)

TBH, i'll bet there are very few people who could even finish this "race" w/o taking several breaks during it, e.g. maybe a few could finish in 5 days or so. The swim alone narrows the number down a lot, espec since you almost have to train exclusively on your swim to be able to swim 21 miles, which will likely end up being 25 or so, what with current changes, etc.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Todd you wimp! I've already signed us up for next year. Time to get your nutrition dialed in
Last edited by: BayouBobby: Sep 17, 15 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [BayouBobby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bayou Bobby, aka Eric, you're not supposed to be trolling these waters. Stay over on the Let'sRun boards. These talks are for REAL MEN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it seems like this happened, but the website is short on details. Anyone know more?
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my joke involving an elliptical, a dildo, and Jenna Bush would have been much funnier but you stole the moment the with your half-baked attempt. Total loss for the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Uberman - Let's discuss [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let's hear the joke then
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see 2 people finished it out of the 3 that started this year.

And finally a woman has finished it.

She broke the course record too. 136 hours

Not something I'd ever think about doing but well done to them.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply