Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"?
Quote | Reply
This is neither a troll post, nor an attempt at flaming patriotism or USA.

But, what is the US Marines doing sponsoring the 70.3 World Champs? And what is the WTC doing endorsing this companionship?

From an international view itīs both strange, out of place and quite frankly, disturbing to have a national military force being the title sponsor for an event supposedly marketing itself as an international championship.
In the "real" sporting world, outside of such self-proclaiming world championships seen in boxing, triathlon etc, it would be totally unacceptable to have such a political and polarizing sponsor hosting the event.

If WTC were hosting just an ordinary event it wouldnīt be a big deal. But if they are seriously intending to host international championships there will hopefully be many participants from all corners of the world. Iīm sure a lot of them donīt feel comfortable with the force fed patriotism and military prescence.

Sure, these events take place in the US but the actions by the WTC (this and much more) goes to show that they couldnīt care less about hosting championship that cater more to the athletes then to their own wallets. And that these events arenīt international events as much as American events organized in America with American values and patriotism at the forefront.

Iīm not saying that this patriotism is bad. You may be as patriotic and pro-Marine as you wish. I donīt judge or value this. But are the "world champs" the right place for it?

I know from experience that itīs almost futile and pointless to have a rational discussion about these topics. A lot of hot headed people rather let their red, white and blue cloud their ability to actually look at the point being made, than to offer an argumentative answer to the questions Iīve raised.

When I look at this situation Iīm VERY happy to have an organisation as the ITU in the world of triathlon!
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Brit, who was thinking of trying to qualify for Vegas next year, it seems a bit off. Makes me question whether they really want non-US athletes to race.
Last edited by: JamesTR: Sep 11, 11 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it has anything to do with patriotism. The Marines want the elite of America's youth and advertise via the UFC and IM, two extreme sports where young athletes that fit the Marine mold gravitate towards. I'm far from a patriotic American and that's how I see it.

We will never know, but my guess is the Marines offered the most money to sponsor the event, that is how things work in a free economy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are people going to get past the World Champs title that the WTC uses?

They are a for-profit company and they are going to do what they want to do, and that is accept money from who ever gives it to them.
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yeah, but what about racing a "world champs" in Israel with Mossad as main sponsor, or in Russia with Spetsnaz as the host?
Or why not in China with the Peoples Liberation Army as title sponsor?
Would that feel inviting or appropriate?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>with the force fed patriotism and military prescence.

The other post, with the guy wondering where all the Marines are, makes me think you are maybe dramatizing the presence a bit. Whatever you do, don't visit The Strip, if you're seeking to avoid force-feeding of American culture!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to point out the obvious but the date september 11 could be a factor
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
>with the force fed patriotism and military prescence.

The other post, with the guy wondering where all the Marines are, makes me think you are maybe dramatizing the presence a bit. Whatever you do, don't visit The Strip, if you're seeking to avoid force-feeding of American culture!

I love American culture! I love spending time in America!
This is not what Iīm writing about in my post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just think it is a waste of tax dollars. You think they would realize that "world champs" or not this sport is all about 35 plus year olds with too much time on their hands...all of whom are far too old to join the marines. On the bright side it likely did not cost us that much.

As for what you are complaining about what title sponsor would be appropriate in your opinion?
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [jimmys525] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmys525 wrote:
not to point out the obvious but the date september 11 could be a factor

Iīm fully aware of the national trauma from this day. I donīt dispute this at all.
Terrorist attacks happen all over the world though.
My question is what this have to do with a so-called World Championship in triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree with you. This is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:

Yeah, but what about racing a "world champs" in Israel with Mossad as main sponsor, or in Russia with Spetsnaz as the host?

Who cares who the primary sponsor is? Would you be less apt to qualify or race if Tampax were the title sponsor? As previously stated, WTC is a for-profit company and they're going to go with whomever is writing the largest check.

Now if you are an American tax payer I could see you wondering what the USMC was doing spending it's marketing budget on a "world championship" race when those funds may be better spent.

As a Marine I think the recruiting effort and funds could be better spent.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:

The main difference is that the other armys you mention all have the draft. The marines need to advertise to get volunteers to sign up. They also sponser a Nascar team and other sports.

Also, remember it is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I'm not sure whether this is a one time deal or not, but you may want to cut them some slack on the whole patriotism thing for this year.
Last edited by: sdmike: Sep 11, 11 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are always complaining about how the military spends it money. They argue rather than giving billions of dollars of aid to foreign nations that we should spend it on ourselves. I guess this is one small step towards that goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The navy sponsored kIna a few years ago. Not the title sponsor, but their name was all over the porta potties. Considering about every other month someone posts a question about joining the military on this site I think they are hitting a target market. Plus the tv coverage etc. Marketting/recruitment is a big budget item. It's the whole reason the blue angels and thunderbirds exist.

Not to mention the families of the participants. Kids of type A driven individuals. Getting an edge over the other services for name recognition to these guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that our Government has such a mess of a budget, this just seems like another bad idea. More waste of taxpayer dollars. I would love to know how much they paid for the sponsorship.

I saw a twitter post that said something to the effect that it was very weird to have a government institution as the title sponsor and "war is business?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an American I can actually agree with you. I would be a little turned off if it was held in another country and that countries military was the primary sponsor. At the same time though, the WTC is an American based company and it's a race taking place on America soil so I can also see how their a valid sponsor but again from a world perspective, it's a little off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
990 Athletes from the US, AUS and GB equal second with 77 (or was it 177) regardless hardly a WC???

In regards to Marines sponsoring a race, firstly I can understand why they would, advertising to some of the fittest people out there. The military (like in AUS) have big budgets they can use to recruit people. I know in AUS they sponsor an award in Australian Rules Football, but that is the award for most courageous player so I can get that.

Although (as said) I understand why they sponsor the race, it just feels...well..just a little bit off.

Quote | Reply
Jonas wrote:
But, what is the US Marines doing sponsoring the 70.3 World Champs? And what is the WTC doing endorsing this companionship?

Dont read into it. It's just marketing, we need to recruit, and obviously someone sees this as an appropriate market. For WTC, they need the $ to pay out the paychecks.

If WTC were hosting just an ordinary event it wouldnīt be a big deal. But if they are seriously intending to host international championships there will hopefully be many participants from all corners of the world. Iīm sure a lot of them donīt feel comfortable with the force fed patriotism and military prescence.

From what I heard there was little to no presence of the military there, so was it really force fed or just a name on a banner?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe next year, every one that doesnt like the Marines "wasting" the money to sponsor a race will complain about the Marines "wasting" money when they let Ironman use Camp Pendleton in So Cal.

Each service is given money for recruitment efforts. If you dont like it, call your congress prerson!

HOO YAH MARINES!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Marine Corps has been very friendly to this sport. Think of all the races that Camp Pendleton has hosted over the years, including full IM events and the current Oceanside 70.3. I am pretty critical of the WTC most of the time, but I think this is a genius partnership. I was a recruiter in the Marines a long time ago and I did not have any PR tools like this. It was just me talking up the virtue of being a Marine.

It is very good marketing for both the WTC and the Marine Corps. As far as gripes and complaints about 'taxpayer dollars' being spent for the USMC to be the title sponsor of this event, how much do you really think it costs? I think it is probably less than the $30 million grant the Feds give away to academics to study shrimps running on treadmills. There is far more wasteful spending going by the Feds than in this sponsorship.

And I don't think it is wasteful at all. I think it is brilliant. I also understand how you might not dig it from an ideological perspective. Just remember that Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton and the USN Coronado Base have been very accomodating to triathlon. They have stepped up repeatedly over the years to support this sport far more than any private entity I can think of.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant? Good Marketing? How does this hit their target demographic? I agree with this guy --

"You think they would realize that "world champs" or not this sport is all about 35 plus year olds with too much time on their hands...all of whom are far too old to join the marines"

Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A smart marketing person should know that it is a not a good idea to put 100% effort into one predefined target demographic without developing others. That's just basic. Good marketing is not static, it is developed outside of normalcy, which is to say that it is always adapting to changing circumstances.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> How does this hit their target demographic? I agree with this guy

You and the guy miss the point. It's not about recruiting, and the Marines don't sell anything. It's about branding. And the demographic for the Marine brand is the "free world."
Quote Reply
Re: US Marines sponsoring WTC "World Champs"? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with patriotism. The Marines want the elite of America's youth and advertise via the UFC and IM, two extreme sports where young athletes that fit the Marine mold gravitate towards. I'm far from a patriotic American and that's how I see it.

We will never know, but my guess is the Marines offered the most money to sponsor the event, that is how things work in a free economy.

Oh, really?

So, if for instance the Mormon Church wanted to spend a few million bucks to be the title sponsor, would that be OK? What about some creationist movement with a lot of dough? Or some extreme conservative right wing lobby group that wanted to state an anti-gay or anti-gender equal society? Still OK
What about if the KKK raised a shitload of cash? Iīm sure they also want to "recruit"...

Extreme exemples, yes, but where would the WTC draw the line for something being TOO political, to religious, to polarizing?
If itīs just about the money, itīs just a matter who would pay the most.

And I get the point why the Marines want to sponsor this! But the question remains unanswered if thatīs appropriate in a so-called World Champs? Whatīs next year? Letting the CIA sponsor the event? Iīm sure they could use some good press too...

If youīre an American and went to a World Champs in a foreign country, would you feel comfortable and at ease with the opposite scenario?
Quote Reply

Prev Next