Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thisgirl wrote:
I wrote that because you wrote "I was hoping she'd elaborate".

Personally, I don't see this as much different than a gambling problem, alcoholism. Yes, it may also have something to do with a mental state...being a narcissist, but all those are things that if, in my opinion, if someone is in a committed relationship and really loved the other person (not sure I could fall in love with a narcissist) should be worked through, or at least attempt to work through.
I'm one who engaged her, and probably shouldn't have posted anything. I just couldn't believe that IG post was left up, and it did not (and still does not) look good on her to be so closely associated with that. But that's her call. I've stood by loved ones through much worse.

I agree it's not her story to tell, but she's the one who said he had a story and at least implied he was innocent. But you're right, maybe the "story" isn't innocence but justification based on some mental state.

You know who else now has a story to tell? Joe Adriaens, cheated out of a Kona spot by this doper. I wonder how she feels about his story.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She seems to be unwilling to even admit that what he did was wrong. There is no back story that justifies racing on EPO. If he needed the drug there's no way he's racing. If it's about his sob story of hurting his back in basic training and overcoming it to be an Army Ranger and then triathlete.... well.... that would be an absurd excuse.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [sammydog1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sammydog1 wrote:
don’t remember crying about my times in my post. I’m sorry I ask the question that if this guy is doped up and still doesn’t win his age group maybe he’s not alone. If everybody is so clean, how come positives? This guy seems too fit the MO of a lot of people on here

don't know about this case in particular, but I agree in general that triathletes often seem quite naive about doping in their sport (at all levels).

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Racing2t2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I appreciate the guilt by association accusations and lovely comments I’ve been getting on instagram (not).... here are my results from the same night of being tested. I’m clean, I race clean, I train clean, and I don’t deserve people trashing me. However, that is the world we live in. So like I said on my Facebook post with my results, I will continue to train and race clean, USADA is more than welcome to test me at any time again.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s not the story nor the excuse. I will explain when I’m not working. I have a day job and I’ve been dealing with this since December. So while the gossip is new for all of you, the results, the accusations, the telling his athletes and the closing of the business is all things we’ve been dealing with for months now. So put whatever words in my mouth that you’d like to since that seems to be the case, but it’s not really appreciated. I’m not a jerk and I’d rather I not be treated like one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The suspension time is not based off of admitting it or not. Unless you go to court and plead your case & they lower the time. Otherwise it is based off of what exactly was in the results. The suspension START date & announcement can be delayed due to fighting it, requesting the second sample be tested etc.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Mskelly1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mskelly1234 wrote:
The suspension time is not based off of admitting it or not. Unless you go to court and plead your case & they lower the time. Otherwise it is based off of what exactly was in the results. The suspension START date & announcement can be delayed due to fighting it, requesting the second sample be tested etc.

Not true. There are several ways listed in the WADA code to reduce a period of ineligibility from the standard 4 years.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
sammydog1 wrote:
Shouldn’t we all be looking at ourselves also. We’re the ones that have made this fertile ground for dopers. Guys like this and a lot of the other busted athletes seem to all gravitate to coaching. They’re using their doped up results to draw clients. We fall for it every time. Wow!’ Look how fast he is. I’m sure he must know what he doing with those results. Then said doper has to keep improving those results to sustain his/her business and continue stroke their own ego. And if this guy was doped to the gills, what’s it say about the others he’s racing against?

Please continue......

Naivety isn't helpful when talking about doping. It's bad to say "those specific folks, by name, must be doping" , but it's not the same as saying "there are bound to be other dopers within the top tiers".

When you have amateurs also getting caught in sports, with both dope and motors, it's apparent that it is pretty widespread.

I mean shoot, you have a documentary on Netflix now about kids in college "doping" on adderal to be able to do better in school.

Another example, IMHO, there's no advantage to hiding your power for someone like a worldtour rider. Meters vary, people weigh different, etc...ad nauseum. So all the time when I see mysterious drops in usage of power from folks, it raises questions, for example. There's only so many watts per week you can gain. Jumping a bunch a few weeks right before and during a race would raise some eyebrows.

I'm interested in was it WADA the other day claimed they were starting an AI database program to trend people for more proactive testing? That sounds like a good thing.

You can't assume that the specific guy next to you is doing it, but you can't be naive and assume an entire sport is "clean".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mskelly1234 wrote:
That’s not the story nor the excuse. I will explain when I’m not working. I have a day job and I’ve been dealing with this since December. So while the gossip is new for all of you, the results, the accusations, the telling his athletes and the closing of the business is all things we’ve been dealing with for months now. So put whatever words in my mouth that you’d like to since that seems to be the case, but it’s not really appreciated. I’m not a jerk and I’d rather I not be treated like one.

We're all ears. And, meanwhile, congratulations on showing up here. Takes a lot of nerve with this crowd.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mskelly1234 wrote:

I'm not throwing any bricks -- at you. But I have no time for cheaters and cannot imagine any valid reason why EPO shows up in an AG triathlete gunning for Kona. You may be busy, but you had time to sign up for ST and make three posts so far, so this "explanation" must not be an easy one to articulate. When you are ready to post, I would suggest you thing twice and be careful not to damage your own credibility with some convoluted story on behalf of him. Apart from that, congrats on your fine performance while racing clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I’ll let you be the expert and I’ll just get back to training and minding my own business. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
sammydog1 wrote:
Shouldn’t we all be looking at ourselves also. We’re the ones that have made this fertile ground for dopers. Guys like this and a lot of the other busted athletes seem to all gravitate to coaching. They’re using their doped up results to draw clients. We fall for it every time. Wow!’ Look how fast he is. I’m sure he must know what he doing with those results. Then said doper has to keep improving those results to sustain his/her business and continue stroke their own ego. And if this guy was doped to the gills, what’s it say about the others he’s racing against?

no, we shouldn't. these clowns know what they're doing when they stick needles full of gear into their arms.

they're adults, knowinginly breaking the rules. don't put that shit on me. that's theirs to own and to live with.

-mike

Well put.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
It’s easy to deflect attention to the amateur level when there is an obvious issue at the top.

That is hard to say. Have there been any big names in triathlon that have tested positive? Why not? In this case the individual likely got greedy. I have no idea how long it takes to get the EPO out of your system, but it would seem this individual was either not very careful or was just so positive he would never be tested and rolled the dice and didn't care. Is the reason more big names don't test positive because they are more careful and choose to exploit the legal grey area of TUEs? Or is there another reason? The idea of whereabouts and ooc tests in these athletes is to make it harder to dope. Ideally a professional is under the assumption that they may be tested in-competition so they are likely to show up without anything they used in their system but may be more likely ooc and the ideal of ooc tests is to catch those. I don't have these answers, but in my personal opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if doping is a bigger problem in the amateur ranks, even if it is just an education issue, versus what happens in the pro ranks. Maybe I am naive but that is my opinion.

I agree with this. I do think there is some doping at the top of the sport. I don't know why no big names have been caught, but that's in line with most sports. But I think amateur ranks has a lot more doping, just as it has a lot more course cutting. I think it's a mix of ignorance of the rules, and the idea that nobody is watching, so you can get away with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mskelly1234 wrote:
Okay, I’ll let you be the expert and I’ll just get back to training and minding my own business. Sorry for the confusion.

Don't let the hate get to you. You tested clean, so those crying guilt by association need to shut up.

It does take a lot of courage to come on here and face the twitchfork toting mob, when you are ready to tell your/your SO's story, there are many of us here who are very interested to hear it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mskelly1234 wrote:
Although I appreciate the guilt by association accusations and lovely comments I’ve been getting on instagram (not).... here are my results from the same night of being tested. I’m clean, I race clean, I train clean, and I don’t deserve people trashing me. However, that is the world we live in. So like I said on my Facebook post with my results, I will continue to train and race clean, USADA is more than welcome to test me at any time again.
If I was guilty of "guilt by association" regarding you, I apologize. I assumed you were clean, and you've confirmed you are. I agree it's not about you, and I apologize for posting on your IG.

But that IG post that goes on and on about Nick's huge race goals, knowing all he could do was stay dedicated to the plan, how awesome his result was after digging deep, etc. It's quite nauseous at this point. I (along with others) mistakenly assumed you'd want to distance from it, but you corrected us and are standing by the post and all it says. That's your call.

Rather than come on here and tell us Nick's story for him, I'd prefer you spend any spare time you have petitioning Ironman to give the stolen Kona slot to Joe Adriaens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the courage to show up in slowtwitchverse. I believe you shouldn't waste your time debating a bunch of people who are sure to be ganging up on you, sadly because it will help them feel better. Do your thing, after all this is an American based website, here people are supposedly innocent until proven guilty. That doesn't seem like the case here. Unless anyone here has proof that Ms Kelly has broken the rules, I invite you all to be a bit more rational before making so many assumptions. I don't support doping and I also don't support bullying.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
My wife is from Queensbury and my mother in law just emailed and said he has closed up shop and has already moved to Florida. I am guessing the members of Patriot multisport did not take the news well. All of my interactions with the club were always very positive but I never met the owner.

Jesus. The fallout from this is spectacular and pretty depressing, if I'm honest. Thank god caffeine doesn't appear to be on their prohibited list. I drink more coffee than a large Norwegian family.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should not have had to sweat out that roll down.

Man, I never thought AG dudes were hitting the EPO. I wonder who and congratulate whoever snitched on him.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For someone who literally has triathlon as their business I simply don't understand the thought process here. Was there any? Were ramifications considered? I guess I could see an AGer taking a substance to get to the next level, but if triathlon is your business it simply seems like too much is on the line. Maybe he was so brazen as to think he'd never be tested??? I honestly hope this isn't the norm and that those who end up ahead of me at races are clean.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Post deleted by redwing [ In reply to ]
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [redwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redwing wrote:
Mr. Gough has been manipulating people since the day he opened Patriot Multisport. The business.....was a big web of lies.

He cheated in his own event(s). How can you conclusively say anything aside from that? How would EPO compromise his bike fitting, recovery advice, group workout sessions, etc? Everyone has the right to be pissed about this, but you might be getting a little ahead of your bike here.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by redwing [ In reply to ]
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
For someone who literally has triathlon as their business I simply don't understand the thought process here. Was there any? Were ramifications considered? I guess I could see an AGer taking a substance to get to the next level, but if triathlon is your business it simply seems like too much is on the line. Maybe he was so brazen as to think he'd never be tested??? I honestly hope this isn't the norm and that those who end up ahead of me at races are clean.

Of course he was. Almost nobody gets teste at this level. As an age grouper, the odds are much better that you'll get away with doping than get caught, even without putting any effort into avoiding detection.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redwing wrote:
Quote:

Ok maybe I got a little ahead of myself. But having a coaching business and not providing athletes with workouts in an acceptable time frame displays little integrity.

Oh, I didn't see any comments about his coaching practices.
I don't know why, I just tend to err on the side of sympathy....and this dude's life is in shambles at the moment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redwing wrote:
Quote:

Ok maybe I got a little ahead of myself. But having a coaching business and not providing athletes with workouts in an acceptable time frame displays little integrity.

hi, and welcome to slowtwitch. we have a rule here, and it's basically no "trial by internet", especially if you're a first time participant on the forum.

i have no idea how the subject ran his business. but as regards that part of the business, coaching, bike fitting, etc., i'd prefer if you let that alone because even the most reputable businessmen have disgruntled customers. you may have a righteous beef, but i have no way of knowing. thanks in advance for respecting the culture here.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next