Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the word in upstate NY right now??

Brandes wrote:
Thats him...

asellerg wrote:
Is this the Nick Gough of Patriot Multisport or another?

http://poststar.com/...df-033e44ec4c8b.html

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Racing2t2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He beat me at IMLOU 2015. Passed me on the bike going a little too close, a little too fast and with no “on your left” which kind of pissed me off.

He went 9:30 that year and did not get a KQ.

Looks like 10:06>9:54>9:30>9:03 progression over the IM distance (2014-2017). I wonder at what point he decided to get “help”.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I think that 10.2.3 gives an out: it establishes a requirement of intent.

Quote:
As used in Articles 10.2 and 10.3, the term “intentional” is meant to identify those Athletes who cheat. The term, therefore, requires that the Athlete or other Person engaged in conduct which he or she knew constituted an anti-doping rule violation or knew that there was a significant risk that the conduct might constitute or result in an anti-doping rule violation and manifestly disregarded that risk.
Which then under 10.3, provides guidelines for the reduction in bans from four years to two years. The introduction of evidence with regard to therapeutic use under the guidelines of a physician could help establish that intent.

You would be amazed at how many people are truly in the dark with regard to this. Whether that's being willfully ignorant or simply unaware is a judgment best left for others.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
I believe that there should be a new "category" created. Anyone that tests positive, or wants to take any illegal/band substances can compete in that category, no Kona slots, no Worlds slots, no AG Nats, but they can still "race". Not sure what is holding up something like this, many people (especially the 'older' crowd) are wanting to continue to enjoy the sport and still enjoy the "other" benefits of life.

Yeah,a "recreational athlete" category, with no Kona/World Slots, and no awards (overall, age group, or "recreational athlete" category ranking) other than a finisher medal. You don't say "drugs are legal" in this group, but you let it be known that testing resources will be focused on the pro and "competitive age group" categories.

I wouldn’t hold your breath. There’s a few of us saying this for years. It’s a reason running has blown up like it has and triathlon has moved down. Some people don’t want all the stupid little rules that triathlon has if you just want to go do one. Bike with your friends nope can’t do it, run with head phones, nope. Race with someone in a different age group, probably not going to happen, etc.

Running, you can go out run with headphones, run with you friends, and the people who want to race the race are ahead of you and don’t bother anyone else. Running has it figured out for some reason we can’t.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
For Julie Rosiek, they only gave her a 2 year suspension - I guess that was done under the "prompt admission" exception?

It seems there have been a lot of doping bans in recent months of AG triathletes that have not been discussed on here:

Bill Beyer was dinged in January for testosterone and had apparently been using for 8 years. 2 year ban, I suppose also because he admitted it.

Jenna Blandford was caught in possession and use of hgH, Oxandralone and testosterone. 4 year ban. Caught in late November.

Lisa Roberts - at doping control declared use of a banned substance vilanterol trifenatate (Breo inhaler) prior to the test. Then she tested positive for it. She got a public warning and previous results vacated.

That's just the last 5 months. The number of mixed martial arts positive tests is staggering. https://www.usada.org/...g/results/sanctions/

Damn RandMart... double letter theory is being blown to bits right now... save for one of the above

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw him on the bike course and wouldn't describe his riding as drafting. I passed him around mile 40 solo and then around mile 55 he repassed me and was solo. I know there were 4 guys I caught around mile 65 that were blatantly drafting and not letting anyone go when they passed them. If you saw him after mile 55 he was probably caught up in their shenanigans. He was crushing the run though.

If they held a virtual roll down and it made it to me, I'd definitely go.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could do it like ASADA:

https://www.asada.gov.au/retroactive-tue

Focus goes where it needs to and Ag still held to account
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess EPO doesn’t help you swim? /pink

Someone had to tip them off, right? Was anyone else tested at IMFL?
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Julie on the other hand messaged me right away, and started telling me about her "story" and what had happened.

I don't know. She's competed at age group nationals (2012), and was taking an anabolic steroid, aka. "the good stuff." I have a difficult time accepting the ignorance excuse.

The two ways we've seen out-of-competition stuff happen is:

1) tip line
2) a shady business gets in trouble with criminal law enforcement (e.g. DEA) and law enforcement turns over "patient" records to USADA

Neither of those, on the surface, reflect well on the person who was tested.

Maybe there's a 3rd way. I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:

Someone had to tip them off, right? ?

apparently he trains with or trained with a "known quantity", so that could be part of it

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate defending dopers, Julie is not a “close friend” or anything. Just someone in my previous Tri club that tested positive for something she had no idea was illegal.

Doesn’t everyone “qualify” for AGNats? ;) /pink

Not sure if this helps you believe her, but she opt’d to wear a wetsuit at IMTX this year, not Kona slot eligible and no AG awards..........

Like I said, I viewed these 2 cases very differently.

I would challenge you to go ask peers in your Tri club if they know they need a TUE for T, if their doctor gives it to them for lowT. More so, ask your MOP/BOP club members, think you will be surprised by the lack of knowledge out there.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
As the guy who finished right behind him in the AG (1:43)..... I'm speechless right now.

That really sucks. Age Group doping really is the lowest of the low. Apart from anything else what is it doing to your health, and what sort of message does it send out to younger athletes??? Especially somebody like him who is 'coaching' - and lets use that term loosely here.

Age group doping is not only defrauding your fellow athletes, its promoting something that could harm or kill. There are plenty of cases of cyclists having heart attacks from using EPO - what the hell does an age grouper get out of it????

Mind-blowing. I hope IM give you the recognition you deserve - bet they don't though. I am sure they would rather sweep this under the carpet and look the other way. Doping just sucks all round really.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Douche. Bag.

He posted a photo of his bike on the beach plus this on the day he was tested:

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
think you will be surprised by the lack of knowledge out there.

Yeah, I accept that my view could not be typical. I'm not a triathlete - bike racer. And all us bike racers are subject matter experts on all things doping. Either because we're doper-haters or dopers. Not much middle ground.

I just have a hard time. I think the educational stuff out there is decent. There are easy-to-find phone numbers and support emails for people who have questions.

Maybe it could be made better, and I'm all for that.

I'm also all for adding a recreational class of athlete who is held to less anti-doping scrutiny in exchange for forgoing anything but the most utilitarian recognition of results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see where a recreational category could make sense. Education will still be requried to get the MOP/BOPers who take T for lifestyle reasons, or people who don't want the hassle of getting a TUE for their asthma med or switching to an approved one to know that they need to sign up for the category.

The people who purposely dope to enhance performance will just continue to enter the competitive category and cheat, because they are in it for the ego.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its super confusing. My daughter requires a TUE for swimming. The paperwork requirements are insane. Its for an ADHD drug and they want letters from her doctor, her, me(parent) and teachers documenting her problems fighting the illness and why its necessary and extensive medical records and documentation of all the diagnostic testing she has done I brought the paperwork to the doctor last week and I read him the requirements and we all unanimously decided she could stop medicating a couple days instead since its only banned in competition. I had email exchanges with usada and ngb people trying to figure out how to go about compliance but in the end we got scared off doing all the work required. So I have to ask if the patient is better or worse of from all this. I still have no idea which competitions she must discontinue use. Its not published anywhere. I cant imagine and AG triathlon person going to the problem of compliance with something they get in the course of being treated by their physician.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
Its super confusing. My daughter requires a TUE for swimming. The paperwork requirements are insane. Its for an ADHD drug and they want letters from her doctor, her, me(parent) and teachers documenting her problems fighting the illness and why its necessary and extensive medical records and documentation of all the diagnostic testing she has done I brought the paperwork to the doctor last week and I read him the requirements and we all unanimously decided she could stop medicating a couple days instead since its only banned in competition. I had email exchanges with usada and ngb people trying to figure out how to go about compliance but in the end we got scared off doing all the work required. So I have to ask if the patient is better or worse of from all this. I still have no idea which competitions she must discontinue use. Its not published anywhere. I cant imagine and AG triathlon person going to the problem of compliance with something they get in the course of being treated by their physician.

Weren't you the guy in an earlier thread saying that you just stopped using T and how much slower you got and how that sucked? And now you do not understand why there needs to be AG doping controls?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...P6572911-2/#p6573292

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 2, 18 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Douche. Bag.

He posted a photo of his bike on the beach plus this on the day he was tested:

• patriotmultisportThe dictionary defines "ready" as being prepared mentally or physically for some experience or action. Are you ever AS ready as you'd like before a race? I know I'm not, because I look forward to the opportunity to learn lessons and improve myself and my performance for future events. Tomorrow as I toe the line with 2,500+ stories, goals and reasons for being in the sand I hope to find out something new about myself, perhaps a corner I've never peered into before. Good luck to everyone racing and thank you in advance to every volunteer and spectator making the day possible. To the loyal family of Patriots and Patriettes, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the support and encouragement leading up to this day.
Odd that he'd leave that one up after obviously scrubbing the rest, as there's not one post-race photo about his podium, KQ, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, being banned “in competition” doesn’t mean banned from taking at a competition, but from being in your system at a competition. So unless you know how the drug metabolizes, and how long it’s in the system, just get the TUE. It’s a hassle for a reason.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually I didnt say I got slower. I was complaining that my recovery sucked because now i go home and have to take a nap and before I had energy for the rest of the day. that is not an athletic performance issue but rather a quality of life issue and hinders my ability to earn a living so hence I workout in the evening and on weekends now. I fully understand the why of doping control but I am saying the complexity of the current system as well as a lack information available is a pushing people to just ignore the rule and hope they don't get caught. With my daughter we made an honest attempt to comply and gave up and took the easy way out and AGers the easy way out is to just ignore the rules and hope they dont get tested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn’t there a post/thread from a coach about a female AG athlete taking testosterone and that he told her the rules etc, but she ignored him?

I’m trying to figure out how she would be out of (or in) competition tested and the only thing I can think of is someone called the tip line
Quote Reply
Re: US Athlete tests Positive [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Also, being banned “in competition” doesn’t mean banned from taking at a competition, but from being in your system at a competition. So unless you know how the drug metabolizes, and how long it’s in the system, just get the TUE. It’s a hassle for a reason.

Leaving aside the conundrum of how someone could possibly take a drug in-competition without it being in their system in-compeition, I don't believe that is good information.

From the WADA code this is a no-no:

Quote:
Possession by an Athlete In-Competition of any Prohibited Substance or any Prohibited Method, or Possession by an Athlete Out-of-Competition of any Prohibited Substance or any Prohibited Method which is prohibited Out-of-Competition unless the Athlete establishes that the Possession is consistent with a Therapeutic Use Exemption (“TUE”) granted in accordance with Article 4.4 or other acceptable justification.

The way I read that is you can't possess *any* any doping substance in-competition, but out-of-competition it's OK to possess the that only banned in-competition.

E.g. you can carry around your weed stash outside the race course. Step onto the race course, no weed stash allowed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:
Julie on the other hand messaged me right away, and started telling me about her "story" and what had happened.

I don't know. She's competed at age group nationals (2012), and was taking an anabolic steroid, aka. "the good stuff." I have a difficult time accepting the ignorance excuse.

The two ways we've seen out-of-competition stuff happen is:

1) tip line
2) a shady business gets in trouble with criminal law enforcement (e.g. DEA) and law enforcement turns over "patient" records to USADA

Neither of those, on the surface, reflect well on the person who was tested.

Maybe there's a 3rd way. I don't know.

Based on her Facebook post, she doesn't seem too bothered...and will be back after her suspension. Her and her pals are upset that someone turned her in???

In the grand scheme of life it's a hobby. It's not stripping me of anything other than getting on a start line.
I look at it as a door closed for a season (or two) and explore other options. Already been approached to be a part of a group that does endurance rides that are not sanctioned ♡

What one intends for harm He can make good ♡
Quote Reply

Prev Next