Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
The whole notion of an anti-doping organization hurts not only pro sports, but recreational athletes as well.

By making various performance enhancing drugs illegal, the Anti-doping authorities have curtailed research into creating restorative and regenerative medicines that may help improve tissue repair and recovery, improve performance in the work place and in other activities of general life, artificially increased the costs of potentially life-style improving drugs, artificially reduced R&D in making such drugs safer, and R&D in general.

OVerall, this is net negative to society as a whole.

Moreover, WADA and the USADA have failed in their mission. They do not catch dopers before hand, and can only retroactively correct the record, but teh vast majority don't give a shit about that. At the end of the day, Barry Bonds still hit the homers, Lance still won the TdF 7 times, etc. Coming after people way after the fact, just doesn't work or curtail any future PED use.

I have to say I did not see this coming... You go from defending Lance to the death to let's just legalize everything which would of course get him off.. I appreciate that it looks like you are finally conceding to the inevitable. However, the argument that restricting drugs in sports hurts society, well and truly blows my mind...

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
If you are so worried about safety during the peloton, let's legalize drugs that make people more alert and reactive. How about some stimulants?

some mild stimulants like caffeine are legal. Your attempt to misdirect my opinion has failed. And clearly you didnt read the whole point. Stimulants taken too far are just as dangerous
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank Schleck also got busted for paying a known doping Dr almost 20k for "training plans" he didn't remember receiving....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
If you are so worried about safety during the peloton, let's legalize drugs that make people more alert and reactive. How about some stimulants?

You are right, it has helped Tom Simpsons quite a bit. It sped things up for him so much that he lived through his life fast and died of stimulants
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cidewar wrote:
Frank Schleck also got busted for paying a known doping Dr almost 20k for "training plans" he didn't remember receiving....

Luxembourg: Tax cheats and drug cheats welcome
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gandalf wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jackmott wrote:
I see the general slowtwitch hive mind has moved from "landis is a liar" and "he never failed a test" to the Mark McGuire "lets move on" defense.

Landis is a liar; that fact won't change. However, if they actually have testimony from Hincape, Levi and DZ then Lance is toast.

But if they had all that testimony from Hincapie, Leip and DZ then wouldn't the Feds have been able to prove exactly what they set out to prove in the first place. So why didn't they prosecute.

time will tell

No. just because they can prove doping doesnt mean the feds can prove which money was used to pay for it. Was it USPS money or was it money from selling bikes, public appearances, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response to my question. I asked because I was wondering if you had an actual example. Sounds like it's a gut feeling you have.

Lance actually seems like a nice person to me.

Again, thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
styrrell wrote:

The only confessed doper I put a step above any of the other is Frankie. He did it, he admitted it with no compulsion by anyone, and he has never tried to cash in on it.

I have vaughters on that list too. Not only has he admitted it (although not in as public a light as frankie) he then went about making a concerted effort inside cycling to work against doping

You do Frankie a disservice by putting Vaughters on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
Landis is a liar. That is undisputed, not to mention his hacking into various computers and other such nonsense.

Lance has not failed a test. And, let's move on.

If the USADA's job is to get dopers, seems like letting at least 5 guys go essentially free, to go after 1 guy is the definition of a witch hunt.

your myopic view of this situation is a bit sad IMO.

Have you never read of mob criminal cases? Get the small fish to squeel on the big fish for a reduced sentence on their crime? As you love to push whenever it suits you, Lance is not some cyclist, he was the GC winnner and leader of the team. If the entire point of doping during racing was to support his ambitions and actions, then yes, he's to be held to a higher standard. Its not a witch hunt, its not old news, its what happens when you entice people to break the law for your own gain (if they can indeed prove he did).

Hincampie didnt fail a test. What will you say if he testifies that he indeed with Lances help doped?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
kny wrote:

To the second bolded point:
Who knows. No one will ever know. His pre-cancer career certainly does not indicate this.

to be fair, he was pretty damned good. Rainbow stripes at a 22, Fleche, & San Sebastian is nothing to scoff at.

Do we know he wasnt doping at 22?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see,

Lance has never tested positive and now they are going after him after the fact. So either he didn't do it, like I believe, or he did it and wasn't caught. And he is being retroactively being punished.

Ben Johnson wasn't stopped from racing in the Olympics, he was only caught after the fact. Barry Bonds still hit all his homers, and was never caught until after the fact. Not to mention all the other people who have never been caught and are still racing. Did doping controls stop the East Germans from winning all those medals.

Doping controls simply do not work.

Please show the research of various PEDs in regards to tissue repair and regeneration. Please also include EPO in that. Do a Pubmed search.

EPO, Procrit, etc. are used by athletes not because of research into their performance enhancing abilities, but rather because of the side effect of improving performance in endurance sports.

So echappist, get a clue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
The whole notion of an anti-doping organization hurts not only pro sports, but recreational athletes as well.

By making various performance enhancing drugs illegal, the Anti-doping authorities have curtailed research into creating restorative and regenerative medicines that may help improve tissue repair and recovery, improve performance in the work place and in other activities of general life, artificially increased the costs of potentially life-style improving drugs, artificially reduced R&D in making such drugs safer, and R&D in general.

OVerall, this is net negative to society as a whole.

Moreover, WADA and the USADA have failed in their mission. They do not catch dopers before hand, and can only retroactively correct the record, but teh vast majority don't give a shit about that. At the end of the day, Barry Bonds still hit the homers, Lance still won the TdF 7 times, etc. Coming after people way after the fact, just doesn't work or curtail any future PED use.

Wow if ever a post pretty much straight up indicated a paid for opinion from organized talking points, this is pretty much it.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stimulants didn't seem to hurt, Eddy Merckx, or most baseball players who were taking "greenies". Didn't seem to hurt Paul Erdos, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
Stimulants didn't seem to hurt, Eddy Merckx, or most baseball players who were taking "greenies". Didn't seem to hurt Paul Erdos, either.

Except for those guys who died from them.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Landis is a liar - however, this does not mean that every word he utters is a lie.

Agreed, however it does make his testimony moot as you can't possibly find him credible in any way.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro, it is people like you that are ruining bike racing and triathlons and why we continue to see more and more masters racers taking up doping. I'm sorry you don't seem to understand the concept of fairness in sport.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before you hammer me and lump me in with JRenfro... I do think that if they have Hincapie, Leipheimer and Zabriskie then Lance is toast. What to do with his 7 tour wins is another matter.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:

this point by you is total crap. Now you're trying to say its fine these people used drugs? I don't respect Merckx for doping, or any of the baseball players, either. We dont know what long term affects those drugs had. and baseball players arent travelling 20+ MPH in tight packs either
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I am looking forward to Jan Ulrich and Ivan Basso being awarded a few of the titles because they were definitely clean.

Fixed that for you ;-)

why?

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
pick6 wrote:
styrrell wrote:

The only confessed doper I put a step above any of the other is Frankie. He did it, he admitted it with no compulsion by anyone, and he has never tried to cash in on it.

I have vaughters on that list too. Not only has he admitted it (although not in as public a light as frankie) he then went about making a concerted effort inside cycling to work against doping

You do Frankie a disservice by putting Vaughters on that list.

how so? Frankie is still making a living in cycling and aside from coming clean and testifying against lance, what is he doing to make the sport cleaner? He's a DS, what are the anti-doping rules for his conti team?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:
Lance doped. So did many others. We can argue about how severe it is in each case and what kind of punishments should be meted out.

But one thing seems certain: The USADA wants to punish Armstrong far more than everyone else and with a much harsher penalty (lifetime ban). And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not Armstrong is more guilty or not. It seems to be something else. A vendetta, or maybe because Armstrong is more popular or because he won the biggest prize seven times. Or to make an "example" of him. I don't know. But it's suspicious. No matter how much Armstrong doped, there's no reason to believe he doped MORE, or longer, or was a bigger bad guy than the others. We're seeing people get 1-2 year suspensions, or less. But they want a lifetime ban for Lance.

Actually, depending on what you believe there is a case that Armstrong, Johan and company took doping to a whole new level. And where much better at it than the others. So yes they where bigger badder guys. The guys who got caught were just amateurs at the doping game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe these drugs had no long terms effects, other than to make these people better at what they do.

You ever consider that.

Except, that because of the stigma and outlawing of these drugs, such studies aren't done or can be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know. If I ever find out that Jens Voigt was doping I'm going to be very very sad.
Ive ridden with lance, I lived in Austin and now Dallas for many years, and he's an amazing cyclist. But , to me and solely my opinion, was a jerk. But JENS he's a damn cool guy. Don't DOPE Jens. Maybe that's how he has 6 Kids!?!?

Socks
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdmike wrote:
chemsmith wrote:
Lance doped. So did many others. We can argue about how severe it is in each case and what kind of punishments should be meted out.

But one thing seems certain: The USADA wants to punish Armstrong far more than everyone else and with a much harsher penalty (lifetime ban). And it doesn't seem to matter whether or not Armstrong is more guilty or not. It seems to be something else. A vendetta, or maybe because Armstrong is more popular or because he won the biggest prize seven times. Or to make an "example" of him. I don't know. But it's suspicious. No matter how much Armstrong doped, there's no reason to believe he doped MORE, or longer, or was a bigger bad guy than the others. We're seeing people get 1-2 year suspensions, or less. But they want a lifetime ban for Lance.

Actually, depending on what you believe there is a case that Armstrong, Johan and company took doping to a whole new level. And where much better at it than the others. So yes they where bigger badder guys. The guys who got caught were just amateurs at the doping game.

This smacks of just an opinion, with no substantiation. Armstrong may have doped to the hilt, but I'm not sure that proves others didn't as well. I just would like to see some kind of equal treatment for all offenders and I'm not convinced I am right now. It smacks of a witch hunt when we find out others are going to get wrist slaps so that Armstrong can be taken down.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Shortsocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shortsocks wrote:
You know. If I ever find out that Jens Voigt was doping I'm going to be very very sad.
Ive ridden with lance, I lived in Austin and now Dallas for many years, and he's an amazing cyclist. But , to me and solely my opinion, was a jerk. But JENS he's a damn cool guy. Don't DOPE Jens. Maybe that's how he has 6 Kids!?!?

Socks

i hope not, but nothing about the athletes from that era would surprise me. The good thing is that despite coming from Germany (particularly East Germany), his name has never been linked to the likes of Zabel and Ullrich.
Quote Reply

Prev Next