Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Gandalf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gandalf wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jackmott wrote:
I see the general slowtwitch hive mind has moved from "landis is a liar" and "he never failed a test" to the Mark McGuire "lets move on" defense.

Landis is a liar; that fact won't change. However, if they actually have testimony from Hincape, Levi and DZ then Lance is toast.

But if they had all that testimony from Hincapie, Leip and DZ then wouldn't the Feds have been able to prove exactly what they set out to prove in the first place. So why didn't they prosecute.

time will tell

statute of limitations has ran out in the Feds case, but there's not statute of limitation for USADA once it's established an athlete lied about doping?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Later!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crmurphy wrote:
x1

I Love Lance and him being dropped from WTC bothers me immensely.

Do I believe he doped, yes.

Do I think a vast majority of them doped, yes.

Should we single him out and punish him for doing what was rampant in order to be on a level playing field, no.

If none of the cyclists were doping, would he have been the best, yes.

Remember, the drugs don't do the hard work, they simply allow him to do more hard work more consistently. Even with the drug regime he was on, 99.9% of people wouldn't work as hard as he did and sacrifice as much as he did over time to win.

To the first bolded point:
So, you believe he doped. And, USADA claims his 2009/2010 blood is consistent with doping (this during the comeback during which he promised (but did not provide) such transparency that it would prove he was clean), so you should believe he doped as recently as 2010. Then, why do you believe his triathlon return is clean? Hell, if he was so audacious to dope and confident he could beat the tests during the biological passport era of cycling testing, why do you think he would not be so audacious to dope and confident he could beat the tests in triathlon with their nascent testing program and predictable testing schedule (event day). Why does it bother you immensely that WTC banned him when it is not at all unreasonable to assume that he continues to dope in his triathlon comeback? Is it because you personally would like to see what he would do at Kona, whether doped or not. For me, that's the case. I want the excitement of him racing there and to see what he would do there, but I know WTC made the right call. If there is reasonable chance he is cheating then they cannot let him at start line. Now, if he were to have done a David Millar, and come clean about his past but pled that he has seen the light and wants to make a comeback clean, then I would be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, we all know he has doped in the past, yet he denies, denies, denies. So, I cannot give him the benefit of the doubt that he is clean now.

To the second bolded point:
Who knows. No one will ever know. His pre-cancer career certainly does not indicate this.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Landis is a liar. That is undisputed, not to mention his hacking into various computers and other such nonsense.

Lance has not failed a test. And, let's move on.

If the USADA's job is to get dopers, seems like letting at least 5 guys go essentially free, to go after 1 guy is the definition of a witch hunt.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

To the second bolded point:
Who knows. No one will ever know. His pre-cancer career certainly does not indicate this.

to be fair, he was pretty damned good. Rainbow stripes at a 22, Fleche, & San Sebastian is nothing to scoff at.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
we can go on and on but we don't need to. i believe that you are "pro-WADA/USADA" because you sincerely want cycling to be the best sport it can. i dislike the orgs for the very same reason. despite our common objective, we have different opinions towards their behavior and their methods.

fair enough. I dont believe USADA/WADA or any other man made organization is perfect. I just believe its a lot better than nothing and being anti the only thing we have (and perhaps the only thing we might get based on all the forces against it) that is helping seems less than ideal, but we all have our opinions and being anti-doping is the most important part so im glad we share that
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
Landis is a liar. That is undisputed, not to mention his hacking into various computers and other such nonsense.

If the USADA's job is to get dopers, seems like letting at least 5 guys go essentially free, to go after 1 guy is the definition of a witch hunt.

you are seventy some posts late. Up all night to devise a new PR strategy for your patron?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [JRenfro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:

Landis is a liar - however, this does not mean that every word he utters is a lie.

LOTS of dopers did not fail a test. Yet, they were still busted for doping (by other means). Thankfully.
Not failing a test does NOT = never doped. Not sure why you fail to get this, after all this time.

You ever play chess? The goal is to get the king. You sacrifice pawns and other lesser pieces to do this.
It's also how many drug rings get busted - start w/ the little fish, work your way to the top.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jackmott wrote:
I see the general slowtwitch hive mind has moved from "landis is a liar" and "he never failed a test" to the Mark McGuire "lets move on" defense.

Landis is a liar; that fact won't change. However, if they actually have testimony from Hincape, Levi and DZ then Lance is toast.

But if they had all that testimony from Hincapie, Leip and DZ then wouldn't the Feds have been able to prove exactly what they set out to prove in the first place. So why didn't they prosecute.

time will tell

statute of limitations has ran out in the Feds case, but there's not statute of limitation for USADA once it's established an athlete lied about doping?

Wouldn't it be an easy argument to make that every athlete that doped lied about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole notion of an anti-doping organization hurts not only pro sports, but recreational athletes as well.

By making various performance enhancing drugs illegal, the Anti-doping authorities have curtailed research into creating restorative and regenerative medicines that may help improve tissue repair and recovery, improve performance in the work place and in other activities of general life, artificially increased the costs of potentially life-style improving drugs, artificially reduced R&D in making such drugs safer, and R&D in general.

OVerall, this is net negative to society as a whole.

Moreover, WADA and the USADA have failed in their mission. They do not catch dopers before hand, and can only retroactively correct the record, but teh vast majority don't give a shit about that. At the end of the day, Barry Bonds still hit the homers, Lance still won the TdF 7 times, etc. Coming after people way after the fact, just doesn't work or curtail any future PED use.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [chemsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chemsmith wrote:

Wouldn't suprise me if they don't test athletes for cocaine or other harmful street drugs.

They do http://www.usatoday.com/...n-cocaine-test_N.htm
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jackmott wrote:

time will tell

Actually the statute of limitations in the Feds case had not run out. For whatever reason they decided to drop the case (it was a much different case than a "simple" doping case). However, the statute of limitation on doping is 8 years. So if the guys named here say, "I doped", they shouldn't have to serve any time at all. Most of them left US Postal/Discovery before 2005. George is the only exception to this.

Think back to when all the Telekom guys came out. It was past 8 years and all of them continued without suspension and many of them are directors now.

My guess was that this was "leaked" in an effort to put some pressure on people who are assumed, and maybe rightly so, involved in the case. I don't think anyone inside of USADA did it, or it would have already come out by now.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:

Ah... No...

In short they are letting the 5 - 10 little fish (users) get a lighter sentence to go after the big fish (pushers)

The USADA case is not just that Lance used, but he, along with the doctors and managers were INSTRUMENTAL in promoting, distributing and covering up the doping.

Only 1 of the 7 charges against Lance are about using, the other 6 are basically distribution / covering up.

This is akin to cutting a deal with the junkie to go after the drug dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
policy-wise, i do not like the testing for non-PED drugs such as marijuana. but that's all i've got off the top of my head.

I can see if you believe in legalizing pot, or whatever other street drugs, but there are drugs that shouldnt be taken in the peloton regardless of legality. A perfect example is todays sprint stage at the tour. Crashes happen instantly, and if you are on any drug that can cause you to react more slowly you put not just yourself but other riders at additional risk. Same for drugs that cause you to be more "twitchy" can lead to crashes. those reason are enough to make them off limits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess they wanted to make cycling more of the fore front of the Sports news in the US....they did the only rational thing - Drama and a Witch hunt of alleged drug use...what was their other option? Prove that Football (US) all in all is mindless?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I can articulate exactly whay I think Lance is a jerk. He comes across as arrogant and he probably cheated and probably lied about it over and over again and he just seems like a jerk. I would probably say the same thing about a lot of other athletes (Lebron James, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods). There are also plenty of athletes who don't seem like jerks and seem humble and likeable (George Hincapie, David Zabriskie, Jack Niclaus, all of the Michigan State basketball and football players and none of the University of Michigan football players except I have to admit the Denard Robinson really really seems like a nice kid and is hard to dislike).

But then I can flip completely around and say that I really like Lance and I really hope that he did not dope (and I am hopeful that it would not be proved that he did) and I am really thankful that his inspiration actually made my life better. On one hand I say he's a jerk (which is probably a stupid thing to say) and on the other hand, if I was doing a triathlon and saw him lined up near me before a triathlon swim start or going the other way during the out and back of a run, I would probably scream inside like a teenage girl seeing a boy band.

So, not sure why I called him a jerk - probably a dumb thing to say. But I think there are a lot of totally pro-Lance people, and a lot of totally anti-Lance people, and a lot of people like me who are somehow both at once.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crmurphy wrote:
x1

I Love Lance and him being dropped from WTC bothers me immensely.

Do I believe he doped, yes.

Do I think a vast majority of them doped, yes.

Should we single him out and punish him for doing what was rampant in order to be on a level playing field, no.

If none of the cyclists were doping, would he have been the best, yes.

Remember, the drugs don't do the hard work, they simply allow him to do more hard work more consistently. Even with the drug regime he was on, 99.9% of people wouldn't work as hard as he did and sacrifice as much as he did over time to win.

To this point: Vaughters has made a career from doping, whether participating in it or being against it. He's like the Paula Dean of cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are so worried about safety during the peloton, let's legalize drugs that make people more alert and reactive. How about some stimulants?
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sooooo, without a positive drug test, just what can Landis say to "convict" LA of doping? "I saw LA take EPO"? Oh, really, and did you have that sample tested by a USADA approved lab?

LOL! This is not going to be pretty but I'm having a very hard time believing all of these witnesses, none of whom operates a USADA drug lab, will be impressive. 5 x 0, as I've said several times already, is still zero.

IF USADA is giving 6 month only suspensions to a small group of pros, it suggests that their case is very weak indeed and they need every single bit of lousy testimony they can muster. I've never been impressed with eye witnesses who, for instance, swear the defendant was at a party and drunk when the murder went down. In criminal cases one hears that sort of testimony all the time, and juries and judges are very reluctant to give it any credibility. I suspect this case will be an object lesson in over-reaching and how not to try a drug complaint.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
To this point: Vaughters has made a career from doping, whether participating in it or being against it. He's like the Paula Dean of cycling.

Wow, highest of fives, that's genius.
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because is wife Love Lance more,
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Landis is a liar - however, this does not mean that every word he utters is a lie.

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TriRaceBook.com
Hawaii Qualification Analysis
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
The only confessed doper I put a step above any of the other is Frankie. He did it, he admitted it with no compulsion by anyone, and he has never tried to cash in on it.

I have vaughters on that list too. Not only has he admitted it (although not in as public a light as frankie) he then went about making a concerted effort inside cycling to work against doping
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JRenfro wrote:
By making various performance enhancing drugs illegal, the Anti-doping authorities have curtailed research into creating restorative and regenerative medicines that may help improve tissue repair and recovery, improve performance in the work place and in other activities of general life, artificially increased the costs of potentially life-style improving drugs, artificially reduced R&D in making such drugs safer, and R&D in general.

OVerall, this is net negative to society as a whole.

hahaha, this is great.

last i heard, Epogen, Procrit, and Aranesp are still widely used for dialysis patients and cancer patients
JRenfro wrote:
Moreover, WADA and the USADA have failed in their mission. They do not catch dopers before hand, and can only retroactively correct the record, but teh vast majority don't give a shit about that. At the end of the day, Barry Bonds still hit the homers, Lance still won the TdF 7 times, etc. Coming after people way after the fact, just doesn't work or curtail any future PED use.

All those dopers caught doing CERA were thinking of the same thing, until they got busted b/c Roche actively worked with WADA

but don't let facts deter you from your nonsensical rambling. It's making this place quite interesting
Quote Reply
Re: USDA has a deal with Levi Leipheimer, George Hincapie, David Zabriskie and Christian Vande Velde according to a paper [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Credible or not, all these guys are just trying to save their own asses.

USADA appears to be leading a witch hunt against Armstrong instead of convicting these current pros for their actions. A 6 month ban in the offseason seems pretty light.
Quote Reply

Prev Next