Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USA Triathlon
Quote | Reply
USA Triathlon (our national governing body) is holding its national elections. This directly and substantially impacts each and every one of you. The USAT makes decisions regarding race rules; triathlete discipline; licensing dues; national rankings; insurance; and much much more. USAT is run by directors and we, the triathletes, are represented before the USAT via our athlete representatives.

Jim Girand is the current athlete representative for the western region. Jim is currently up for re-election. I can't say enough about Jim and how supportive he has been for all triathletes. Jim was recently actively involved in the amending of the USAT rules regarding triathlete discipline. Jim help launch the Arthritis Foundation/USAT program. Jim has personally assisted members of his region in hearings before the USAT. Jim Girand, in my opinion, absolutely deserves your support for re-election. Not convinced? Speak with Jim yourself - ask him questions and find out his positions: Jim@girand.com.

In addition, the current USAT president, Val Gattis is running for election of an at-large rep position. Again, Val has exhibited dedication to all triathlete's concerns and has been very open and cooperative in dealings between triathletes and the USAT. If you are in the western region, you are entitled to vote for one individual in the western region and one at-large candidate. I am offering you my personal endorsements for Jim and Val (all regions can vote for an at-large candidate - make Val your choice).

You can read more about these candidates at the USAT website (link below).

Go to http://www.usatriathlon.org (Go to center of the page)

2003 Board of Directors Elections (Bottom of that page). Here you can read about the process and the candidates.

or - just go here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/Elections/ballot.pdf for the ballot.

You can use the pre-paid form and mail to Waugh and Associates PC, 4595 Hilton PKWY STE 210, Colorado Springs, CO 80907-9854 (this address is already pre-printed on the ballot). It is postage-pre-paid to Waugh and Associates using the back of the ballot, so you have no excuse :)

REMEMBER: You MUST sign your ballot; make sure your USAT membership is current and fully complete the ballot.

Alan

Quote Reply
Re: USA Triathlon [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know anything about the candidates from the other regions, or any of the other at-large candidates? I read their statements on the web site, but would be interested in hearing from people who have met or worked with the candidates.

Lee
Quote Reply
Re: USA Triathlon [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be nice if USAT provided its members with more info about the elections and the candidates. They can certainly improve in this area.

I think education people on the elections and the candidates will help assure that the right people are elected and that the most important and popular matters are addressed.
Quote Reply
Questions for the Candidates [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a previous election, Dan did a Q & A with a few of the candidates. Would anyone be interested in posting some questions, or issues that they would like the candidates to address? We could summarize the most popular and pertinent questions, and email them to the candidates, and post their responses to the Forum, or if enough of the candidates respond, Dan might even toss it up as an article? Anyone interested?

I'll start with a few issues that are important to me:

- I disagree with the new rule that keeps you from being scored in a race if you compete in an "open" or "elite" wave, I think it encourages sandbagging.

- I would like for USAT to work with USMS and USCF to get us reduced membership rates for those organizations, or at least the ability to participate (this applies to USMS, not USCF) without purchasing a 1 year license.

- The Obvious one: the refund transfer policy.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for the Candidates [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is a great idea. Not only would it allow us to see where each candidate stands on various issues, it would let the USAT the we are concerned about those issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize for replying to my own post -m but as the elections are still open and this will effect all of us, I feel that it is important to get everyone to vote. Remember - USAT has over 40,000 members. The last annual election, approximately 900-1000 TOTAL votes were cast. That is not only pathetic - it is embarassing.

I personally believe that if one were to be so apathetic about their governing body, then if one doesn't vote, then that individual should have no right to ever complain on this forum or any other.

Please, get out there and vote - this is YOUR sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all fairness, it's not like they go out of their way to tell people about the election. I don't recalll getting a ballot in the mail, or an email, or a phone call. Well, I DID just get my annual shakedown letter telling me it's time to renew, and NOPE! No election info there either.

So if you look at that, and add the fact that I don't know anything about any of the candidates, the only thing I could do is either A) Vote for the incumbent, or B) Assume that all incumbents suck and vote for a randomly selected remaining candidate.

In fact, if it weren't for your post, I wouldn't even be aware of the elections. Hey, couldn't someone from USAT have posted here, reminding everyone that it's time to vote? Why didn't they?

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: USA Triathlon [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2002, I voted from the ballot that came in my copy of Transition Times. It also had information on the candidates.

From the website, voting is open until November 1st. It also mentions that there will be a copy of the ballot in the next Transition Times, which is due to come out on August 19th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also think Dan can evoke more information from the candidates than the ordinary tri guy or gal and I wish he would interview them to ask them questions about the rules, announcing the rules prior to wave starts, drafting, officials, elite swim waves, rankings, etc. I voted for Bill Burke because I think he is a good, no-nonsense, efficient race director who I can talk to about national policy.
Quite a few of these people make their living from our sport, so, if you want races that are fair and fun, make sure you vote and vote for someone who will listen to you.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: USA Triathlon [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent points, which (as you will see later) is another reason i support Jim Girand.

USA Triathlon does have the election info, ballots and candidate info on the website www.usatriathlon.org and it will be in the nmext issue of Transistion Times.

I learned about teh election early because Jim Girand, our current western rep, is quite good about communicating with people and sends out his own personal e-mail updates on what he has done and what the USAT is/has been doing. In fact, Jim mentioned that he will be posting here asking for all questions and sharing his answers and comments. He is en route out of the country for a few days (bike ride in Europe) and will post when he returns so his responses are timely (he has a policy that he will respond to any USAT-related e-mail sent to him in under 24 hours).

And, no, I am not a paid-political commentator or a campaign manager :)

I just believe in offering my support for those candidates/incumbents who have supported us.

Alan
Quote Reply
Re: USA Triathlon [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have voted and I also voted for Bill Burke. He puts on races across the country for different organizations. He knows how to make things happen. We all need to vote, support, encourage good race directors. Promoting multi-sport events only gets harder with more participants and insurance issues and I don't know too many r.d.'s who are getting rich.

It is sad that only 900-1000 athletes vote. I would think we would do better. I will for one, get as many people as possible to vote.
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for the Candidates [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-- Transfer/refund policy

-- Elevate the participation, performance, and status of Team USA by underwriting the cost
Quote Reply