Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USA Swimming Nationals
Quote | Reply
Anyone following the meet? Some big surprises, especially on the men's side. Caleb Dressel was only 6th in the 100 free, and finished 2nd in the 50 fly. He's the 4th qualifier for the 100 fly, and scratched the 50 breaststroke. Unless he moves up to 2nd in the fly finals, he'll have only one more chance to make the Pan-Pac/2019 World Championship roster (50 free). That would be a shock, as he cleaned house with 8 golds at 2017 Worlds.

Young Michael Andrew, USRPT "Poster Boy," won the 50 fly yesterday, and today qualified 3rd, 1st, and 3rd, respectively, in consecutive prelims of the 100 fly, 50 breast, and 50 back. Not clear yet if he will swim all three in the finals. Projected timeline would leave ~20 minutes recovery between swims.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jul 27, 18 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a big shock from Dressel, but it just goes to show how hard it is to get to, and especially remain at, the top.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t been following it too much, but am going to watch finals tomorrow night.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rebound swim tonight for Dressel. Won the 100 fly convincingly, setting the fastest time in the World so far this year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't sixth still get him on a relay team?
It's just down the way from me and I'm not even going.
Maybe over the weekend.

Oh, and I hate that this meet is a qualifier for nearly 2 years of international events. A lot can change in that time.

Also hate the change to officials running the lap counters. They don't even put them in the water. One would actually have to break form to see them. And, missed coaching opportunities.
Last edited by: Rumpled: Jul 27, 18 19:26
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, if you qualify for one individual event for Pan Pacs, you can enter whatever additional events the coaching staff is cool with. And WC individual swims go to the two fastest (presuming FINA A time standard) times from the combined Pan Pacs and Nationals results. So since Dressel is on the Pan Pacs roster, he's got a change to bump his way onto the WC squad in the individual 100 free if he swims like he can there.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Maybe over the weekend.

Oh, and I hate that this meet is a qualifier for nearly 2 years of international events. A lot can change in that time.

Also hate the change to officials running the lap counters. They don't even put them in the water. One would actually have to break form to see them. And, missed coaching opportunities.
That’s the way lap- counters are used at National and FINA level, as coaches aren’t on deck to the level they are at local meets. Plus it gives the officials something to do during the distance events. It takes over 40 officials to staff this level of meets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Rebound swim tonight for Dressel. Won the 100 fly convincingly, setting the fastest time in the World so far this year.

Have been following the Summer Nats with great interest. So, Dressel will get to swim the four 4 x 100 relays plus 50 Fl, 100 Fl, and probably 50 Fr; thus he could still win 7 golds again in theory, which would match his 7 in 2017. He finished 4th in the 50 fly in 2017 so "only" 7 golds.

Michael Andrew will get to swim at least the 50 Br and 50 Fl at the 2019 WCs, and perhaps the 50 Fr but only the 50 Fr is on the 2020 Oly schedule. So far, he is 0 for 1 on making the top 2 in his 100 m events, 3rd in the 100 fly tonight and he did not even swim the 100 free, so he is likely missing out on all the relays at the WCs. I wonder if he's swimming the 200 IM but think we'll have to wait until Sunday to find out on that.

It seems strange that the 2019 WCs and the 2020 Oly do not have the same schedule of events, e.g., the 50s in the stroke events, and the mixed medley relay, are only being contested at the WCs, not at the Oly.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
IIRC, if you qualify for one individual event for Pan Pacs, you can enter whatever additional events the coaching staff is cool with. And WC individual swims go to the two fastest (presuming FINA A time standard) times from the combined Pan Pacs and Nationals results. So since Dressel is on the Pan Pacs roster, he's got a change to bump his way onto the WC squad in the individual 100 free if he swims like he can there.

Now this is some truly inside scoop, where/how did you learn this??? Were you on the Pan Pacs team???

Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Selection criteria has been posted at swimswam.com a few times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've enjoyed the pace at which the broadcast goes. Most of my other swim viewing comes at the Olympics where it seems like there's one event an hour separated with 55 minutes of special interest stuff. This meet is rapid fire with the post-race interviews and quick medal awards in between.

I also like the overhead camera shot where you can really see how much the swimmers get onto their sides. It's a great visual for a non-swimmer like me.

The times are outrageous and I can't even relate or comment on who is swimming well and who is not.

The thing I was wondering is what they would have done with bad weather? Is there an indoor facility there as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:

With the caveat that they only consider times from the A-final at Nationals and either the A- or B- final at Pan Pacs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
Selection criteria has been posted at swimswam.com a few times.

OK, thanks, i guess i just don't don't read swimswam.com very often, except during the big meets.

Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FINA level meets use underwater electronic counters now

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
An article update here: https://swimswam.com/...-for-dressel-conger/

Thanks, it will be interesting to see if Dressel swims the 100 Br today and/or the 200 IM tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Irvine, so I'm heading there tonight to see the 400 free and 100 breast and back finals.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDCali wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
Maybe over the weekend.

That’s the way lap- counters are used at National and FINA level, as coaches aren’t on deck to the level they are at local meets. Plus it gives the officials something to do during the distance events. It takes over 40 officials to staff this level of meets.

I know this, I hate it. As a distance swimmer having a teammate as a counter could be very helpful. Seems a reason to have more officials, which costs more $ for the hosts.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
I've enjoyed the pace at which the broadcast goes. Most of my other swim viewing comes at the Olympics where it seems like there's one event an hour separated with 55 minutes of special interest stuff. This meet is rapid fire with the post-race interviews and quick medal awards in between.

I also like the overhead camera shot where you can really see how much the swimmers get onto their sides. It's a great visual for a non-swimmer like me.

The times are outrageous and I can't even relate or comment on who is swimming well and who is not.

The thing I was wondering is what they would have done with bad weather? Is there an indoor facility there as well?

No indoor facility within 30 miles.
Chance of truly bad weather at this time of year is less than 2%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Anyone following the meet?
Triathletes don't swim, why would they watch swimming? There have been some good races My biggest surprise is how many I saw using nose clips.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

ha!! thats a good one... I live about 15 minutes from the venue and inclement weather would require air conditioners if it were indoors. The worst day of the year is probably one the top 10 best list of states like Michigan, Ohio, Kansas, or most states really...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the meet right now, saw Katie win the 400, now watching the 100 breast. With a bunch of the triathlon teammates

Quote Reply
Re: USA Swimming Nationals [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scooter23 wrote:
I live in Irvine, so I'm heading there tonight to see the 400 free and 100 breast and back finals.

What was the cost of tickets or was it free entry??? How was the weather, e.g. does it get cool at night??? Would be chilly getting out of a 78* pool if the air is 60-ish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
gary p wrote:

Have been following the Summer Nats with great interest. So, Dressel will get to swim the four 4 x 100 relays plus 50 Fl, 100 Fl, and probably 50 Fr; thus he could still win 7 golds again in theory, which would match his 7 in 2017. He finished 4th in the 50 fly in 2017 so "only" 7 golds.

Michael Andrew will get to swim at least the 50 Br and 50 Fl at the 2019 WCs, and perhaps the 50 Fr but only the 50 Fr is on the 2020 Oly schedule. So far, he is 0 for 1 on making the top 2 in his 100 m events, 3rd in the 100 fly tonight and he did not even swim the 100 free, so he is likely missing out on the free relays at the WCs. I wonder if he's swimming the 200 IM but think we'll have to wait until Sunday to find out on that.

It seems strange that the 2019 WCs and the 2020 Oly do not have the same schedule of events, e.g., the 50s in the stroke events, and the mixed medley relay, are only being contested at the WCs, not at the Oly.

Young Michael won the 100 breast outright so he will be swimming at least one Oly event at the Pan Pacs and WCs. Will be waiting to see if he swims the 200 IM tomorrow; 200 IM long course is a long way for a sprinter. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be chilly getting out of a 78* pool if the air is 60-ish. //

I'm out of town at the moment, but would guess when they get out of a 78/79 degree pool, they are stepping into just about the same exact temperature as they just left. Unless they are doing heats at midnight, then it would be in the mid to high 60's most likely now, so not too bad...
Quote Reply

Prev Next