Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USA Cycling TT Nationals Course: Hagerstown MD
Quote | Reply
Hey Slowtwitch!

I'm hoping for any local intel on the course being used for USAC Amateur TT Nats next week. It is 30k, out and back, along Rohrersville rd (67) in Maryland.

Looks like the start is in Appletown, and the turnaround is 15k south in Augusta.

The elevation profile makes it look like a steady 3% grind for about a third of the course in each direction. Is this accurate?

Also looking for road condition- I have a couple different tire options but would prefer to go with the fastest setup that is realistic for the course.

Thanks!

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling TT Nationals Course: Hagerstown MD [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump because I'm sure there is someone out there who has ridden Rohrersville road! Anyone?! :)

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling TT Nationals Course: Hagerstown MD [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't sure it was the same road, but I looked it up and it is. It's about 30 minutes from where I live.

Anyway, there used to be a local 39k TT (Boonesville TT) on that road, I think it ended about 8 years ago. That race started right at the junction of 67/40 and went to rt340 and turn around there.

It's not very hilly, mostly big ring rollers, although there are some nice mtn climbs in the area. The full course started out with a bit of an uphill, flattened a bit but was generally false flat to about halfway on outbound leg. Then fast, flattish with a big .5kish downhill from there to the turnaround. Of course, after the turnaround you had to immediately climb back up that downhill. However, looks like you're not going that far for this race.

If it starts in Appletown and goes to Augusta, it will be mostly rolling, all big ring. For reference, on the 39k TT's, most folks would ride the same time as they did for a flat 40k, maybe a bit slower - 1 or 2 minutes.

The road has large shoulders on both sides which is where you ride, plenty of room to pass without having to go into the road. Good sight lines as well., would

I loved that TT, would like for it to come back!
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling TT Nationals Course: Hagerstown MD [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks VG, I really appreciate the intel!

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem, road is in good condition and as I mentioned, the shoulders are wide and also in good shape. I used my regular set up with a tri-spoke front wheel and disc rear wheel. For gearing I used a 55/44 which was fine.

It's a pretty fast course, even the false flat sections.
Quote Reply