Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules
Quote | Reply
I am planning on riding my stock Cervelo P5 at the USA cycling masters national TT championships in August. If I understand correctly, for a non-record attempt (which this will surely be) I don't need to worry about the 5 cm saddle-behind-the bottom bracket rule or the 75 cm TT extension rule? But I must remove the faring over the front brake? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [jmhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it easy to take off or put on? I'd email in advance and include a picture. They're usually super helpful.

As for the setback/morphological stuff, I'd just not get silly with it if you're just in a lower category or AG division or something.

FWIW, a Tririg Omega X cover is in fact UCI legal. Not sure on that huge P5 cover though. I'd just ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is that the application of the rules is pretty random. Some years they just weighed every bike (good luck finding a sub 6.8 kg TT bike). Other years it was set back, one year it was seat angle until they decided about 12 hours later that they wouldn't enforce seat angle), a couple years ago they were worrying about P4 water bottles. In all these these years I have never seen them bat an eye at the P5-6, but this could be your lucky year.

It would be best to contact the promoter and see if they have any insight. You won't be the first person to wonder if they are going to have issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://s3.amazonaws.com/...les-Requirements.pdf

It says non-UCI bikes will pass for non-record attempts, but USACYCLING rules apply for fairings for all competitors

Mark E
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
My experience is that the application of the rules is pretty random.

When do they check... when you line up to start?
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

After you break an age group record?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

The way it's been done in the past is that you report to staging 15-20 minutes before your start, and they check then. However, they also had a measuring jig and an official in the host hotel lobby the day before the TT so you could do an "informal" check to make sure your bike passed.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks John! That makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

They have had a coral around the start and they checked when you entered the coral area. They set up the jig at the entrance and did a quick look at set-back. I seem to remember them doing weights just as you went up the steps for the start house. In Utah they said they DQed someone for just a hugely long extension/reach.

I talked to Kevin Nickel last year and he said they gave him serious grief about needs lots of water in his P4 bottle or he was going to have to go without.

I don't think I will worry about anyone breaking a record on the C Springs TT. I went out there on a cold winter day and drove it. The pavement will probably be very slow, it rolls quite a bit and I thought it was maybe about 600 meters short. Now maybe they re-paved it (unlikely) and you could get a tailwind both ways (really unlikely) and maybe they do get it up to a true 40k and certified, but I won't hold my breath.
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So would a Trek SC fork and basebar need to be changed to compete for podium or would the uci rules apply here as well?
Quote Reply
Re: USA Cycling Masters National TT - bike rules [Racing2t2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Racing2t2 wrote:
So would a Trek SC fork and basebar need to be changed to compete for podium or would the uci rules apply here as well?

The rules for the event are pretty clear, UCI bike rules only apply for record attempts, not for national championship results. I'm not familiar enough with Trek SC fork & basebar, but if the issue is the UCI 3:1 rule then you ought to be fine to compete otherwise. USAC bike rules only prohibit fairings (with the exception of wheel covers).
Quote Reply