Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT ruling on aerobars?
Quote | Reply
Decided to go a little farther back than Empfield on my C2's. The result is an aerobar without the bar being bent at the ~45º angle before the bar-end shifters are mounted. It is a lot like Jan Ullrich's but I don't have mine at such an aggressive angle, oh yeah and mine won't see me going 60KPH on flats.

My question regarded the USAT rules on this. I plan on doing an IM soon and wasn't sure if this would be illegal or something. I looked at the rules last night and figured there could be some interpretation regarding 5.11 (i) [Handlebars and stem must be fashioned to prevent any danger. All handlebar ends must be solidly plugged to lessen the possibility of injury.]

Anyone know about this one?

"For there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I've seen them but not very often." -Morrissey
Last edited by: Ryan in GA: Aug 11, 03 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: USAT ruling on aerobars? [Ryan in GA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have a picture?

as far as being solidly plugged that means: no open tubing without something solid filling it, taping over the hole is not adequate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
No holes exposed. . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brakes cover the holes for the pursuits and the barend shifters have been re-mounted on the modified barends of the aerobars (i.e. Syntace C2).

"For there are brighter sides to life and I should know because I've seen them but not very often." -Morrissey
Quote Reply
Re: No holes exposed. . . [Ryan in GA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really can't say how I would rule on them as a head ref without seeing them, but from what you describe they sound like they may pass muster [yes I am being intentionally obscure]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: USAT ruling on aerobars? [Ryan in GA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a pair which are just as you describe and have ridden them in many USAT sanctioned races (including IM) without incident.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT ruling on aerobars? [sysadmin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I imagine that they should be fine. I will make sure not to draw any attention to them. So far, the only time I have seen a USAT get shifty with a bike is when my wife's bike was missing a bar-end plug on her drops.

Thanks for the input. . .hope I don't get the DQ at my first IM - and that doesn't stand for Dairy Queen either.

Quote Reply