Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement
Quote | Reply
My gym and a few other places (like auto insurance companies) are reimbursing fees due to lack of use during this pandemic. Looks like there won’t be any Tri racing this year, should we expect some membership fee action?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it goes to supporting those with jobs in CO and the elite athlete program, who get very little money in the best of times, no, I do not expect them to reimburse anything. Especially since they know how much we make.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
My gym and a few other places (like auto insurance companies) are reimbursing fees due to lack of use during this pandemic. Looks like there won’t be any Tri racing this year, should we expect some membership fee action?

I would be very surprised if USAT gives any money back, and I think you are wrong about no tri racing this year. I have a local sprint tri that moved from March 28 to May 24. Another local RD noted that his early Jun sprint tri is a go, but if it slips, they've reserved a date only 3 weeks later - still in June. No doubt not everyone signed up will go but I think smaller races are just around the corner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure hope not. Its a small expense compared to most in my life and I am happy to have it put to good use keeping this sport alive as a competitive venue for our olympians and beyond.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
I sure hope not. Its a small expense compared to most in my life and I am happy to have it put to good use keeping this sport alive as a competitive venue for our olympians and beyond.

That’s very nice, but I prefer to not make charitable donations that I’m not aware of.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

I would be very surprised if USAT gives any money back, and I think you are wrong about no tri racing this year. I have a local sprint tri that moved from March 28 to May 24. Another local RD noted that his early Jun sprint tri is a go, but if it slips, they've reserved a date only 3 weeks later - still in June. No doubt not everyone signed up will go but I think smaller races are just around the corner.
That’s great

Around me they are already canceling and postponing races in July

What part of the country do you live in?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:

I agree, but then again, I'm a rich dentist (or at least used to be).

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Central Florida. Here's a portion of a race update I received yesterday with the possibility of a 3 week slip.

With the uncertainty as to what guidelines will be in place once Florida's stay at home directive expires in early May, Sommer Sports has secured with the City of Clermont a June 27, 2020, back-up date for CSM Series Event #1, should it need to be postponed. Please note that at this time we have no plans to postpone the June 6 race to June 27.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Central Florida. Here's a portion of a race update I received yesterday with the possibility of a 3 week slip.

With the uncertainty as to what guidelines will be in place once Florida's stay at home directive expires in early May, Sommer Sports has secured with the City of Clermont a June 27, 2020, back-up date for CSM Series Event #1, should it need to be postponed. Please note that at this time we have no plans to postpone the June 6 race to June 27.

Ah yes I have the same email

I was asking about the race you spoke about being rescheduled for May 24th
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the Escape from Ft Desoto. And I was off 1 week on the new date: 2020 Escape from Fort Desoto Tri and Du: - MAY 30
As the 35th Annual Escape from Fort Desoto Triathlon, Duathlon, and Aquabike scheduled for March 28th, 2020 will be rescheduled for May 30th 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
That's the Escape from Ft Desoto. And I was off 1 week on the new date: 2020 Escape from Fort Desoto Tri and Du: - MAY 30
As the 35th Annual Escape from Fort Desoto Triathlon, Duathlon, and Aquabike scheduled for March 28th, 2020 will be rescheduled for May 30th 2020

GREAT!!

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't expect any of it back and would be pleasantly surprised if they extend or refund a portion.

USAT typically is in better financial shape than other sports yet I think all NGBs are going to be hurting financially at some point.
USA rugby already filed for bankruptcy. UCI is furloughing all it's staff. IIRC USA Cycling already furloughed some staff. Wouldn't be surprised if USAT had to go down that road at some point if things aren't changing much/at all until late July (my prediction of when any major races will happen)

Stuff happens, sometimes you just have to roll along with it and hope for the best

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be astonished if any of the NGBs have the cash reserves necessary to refund membership fees. Most of them don't have enough on hand to meet payroll and are dumping every expense possible in hopes of being able to come back when this is over without having reorganization and rebuilding go through bankruptcy court.
Odds are that money is long gone, and ain't coming back. Maybe - maybe - a solid NGB like USAT will be able to offer reduced fees for next season, but even that is going to be a tough go as organized sport tries to crawl back out of this.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I wouldn't expect any of it back and would be pleasantly surprised if they extend or refund a portion.

USAT typically is in better financial shape than other sports yet I think all NGBs are going to be hurting financially at some point.
USA rugby already filed for bankruptcy. UCI is furloughing all it's staff. IIRC USA Cycling already furloughed some staff. Wouldn't be surprised if USAT had to go down that road at some point if things aren't changing much/at all until late July (my prediction of when any major races will happen)

Stuff happens, sometimes you just have to roll along with it and hope for the best

I find this funny, and I also find people that write the "Where's my Refund" posts on FaceSpace annoying. When it comes to Rugby there have been several groups out there that loudly said: I WANT A REFUND, YOU SUSPENDED SANCTIONED COMPETITION, WHERE'S MY REFUND.

To the OP I'd say, if you need that $50 you need to not be posting and go hustle. It's not much. And in fact the insurance premiums were spent, you've received your member benefits.

When in fact USAR has been run on the float for many years, sadly like most US NGBs since we don't receive governmental funding like other countries tend to. USAT is probably the shining light of the bunch when it comes to participant sporting NGBs. USAT has a lot of money in the bank from being very smart and very frugal whilst pushing Women's Varsity triathlon towards Championship status.

So no, we don't need to ask for refunds from our NGB when most of them need even more money right now.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I am tempted to drive from CA. Cos I got fuck all else to do.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may not care that you don’t get what you pay for, some people are like that. Heck your reasoning is probably contributing to organizations not having to deliver what is expected from them. For me USAT membership covers the USAT sanctioned race fee that I would otherwise have to pay at a race. If I want to race I can pay for a membership or pay the race day charge. Or I could choose not to race. It is not a charitable contribution on my part but a payment for required charge. If USAT does not provide that service then they should reimburse the fee. They are not providing insurance for races that are not being put on, and they are incurring less cost to their operations than they would have normally be doing. And rugby is not really a sport.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT membership fee Coronavirus reimbursement [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Really? I am tempted to drive from CA. Cos I got fuck all else to do.

It's still early and they could punt again or cancel altogether, but I expect some events to be going again in June - at least I hope so. Between 30 May and 14 June there are 2 sprint tris, one century ride and an OWS competition still on the calendar. I'll be at the first event that happens!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
You may not care that you don’t get what you pay for, some people are like that. Heck your reasoning is probably contributing to organizations not having to deliver what is expected from them. For me USAT membership covers the USAT sanctioned race fee that I would otherwise have to pay at a race. If I want to race I can pay for a membership or pay the race day charge. Or I could choose not to race. It is not a charitable contribution on my part but a payment for required charge. If USAT does not provide that service then they should reimburse the fee. They are not providing insurance for races that are not being put on, and they are incurring less cost to their operations than they would have normally be doing. And rugby is not really a sport.

You must not understand how insurance works. You pay the premium, you don't get refunded just because you don't use it. USAT can't go to it's insurer and demand a refund.

And to your last? Triathlon isn't watched anywhere to generate any kind of Revenue that a Rugby World Cup generates. Third largest sporting event behind the Olympics, and the FIFA World Cup. So you could say even that Triathlon is not a sport either.

So I'd ask you when you paid your membership fee, and if it is more than a month old I'd tell you you're barking up the wrong tree. But if you want to see many people that do work to run an NGB for you lose their job, please be unreasonable and get your next best 1000 triathlete friends to make that demand instead of being a decent and reasonable person. Your fee was a sunk cost the moment you paid for your membership.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

Ha, ha! StoBro is going to rain down some kind of scrum master spell on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what I believe.

Your character is defined not by your actions when things are going well, but by your actions when the going gets tough.

I do not believe that demanding compensation from the sanctioning body of the sport I love because of a worldwide pandemic totally outside of their control is something that a person of strong character would do.

To each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me posted. I'd be totally stocked to race again.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“And rugby is not really as sport” eh? Taking the bait:

Teamwork - check
Strategy - check
Individuality - check
Forward and Lateral movement - check
Speed - check
Endurance - check
Strength - check
Peripheral vision - check
Hand-eye coordination - check
No pads (in general) or helmets - check
Good to play - check
Good to watch - check
Drink more than 3 beers after the game and not pass out - check
Generates properly sized thighs - check

Sounds “sporty” to me, and makes me wonder why I gave it up..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

There were already sanctioned events this year it’s unfortunate you didn’t get to do them. Your membership doesn’t cover you not making to sanction events that were held.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 You are a sad, strange little man and you have my pity.
Buzz Lightyear

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

Everything you wrote here was wrong. #WJW

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next