Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT is at it again - making clubs share rosters and upselling memberships
Quote | Reply
We just went through this in January with USAT club insurance. Initially, USAT would only cover USAT members and then backtracked and agreed to cover everyone in your club with the stipulation that you'd agree to encourage your members to get annual USAT memberships and that you'd share your roster with USAT. Thread is HERE

Well, they just sent Club Terms and Conditions, well into the calendar year. These T&Cs were not part of the deal when we signed up for Club Memberships at the start of the year. Once again, they are wanting clubs to sell members on becoming annual USAT members and sharing rosters.

Quote:

Membership Requirements
...the Club agrees to seek and increase and promote individual memberships in USAT.
Member Reporting
The Club is required to upload the Club's roster twice a year through USAT's Club Upload Tool found on the club administration page of membership.usatriathlon.org. The Club's roster should fit the template as provided on the upload screen and should include first name, last name, and gender, and if possible include date of birth and/or USAT member number.

Link to T&Cs

My club won't be signing the T&Cs. I really dislike that USAT is making clubs responsible for growing their member numbers. Maybe if they offered valuable services and benefits, people might actually want the membership. Right now, people only get it because they race more than 4 times per year.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT is at it again - making clubs share rosters and upselling memberships [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you clue me in on what exactly changed or was added since Jan? Are they now requiring membership? Or still "encouraging"? I went through the USAT club insurance and noticed it was free with the condition you would basically require all USAT members moving forward in the near future.

I'm not sure what's changed since that thread was discussed?

Is it the "seek and promote memberships"? (eta: that seemed to be established as part of the "free" insurance this past Jan....I thought it was already known that clubs has to push for usat memberships within all it's members going forward!?!?)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 5, 19 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: USAT is at it again - making clubs share rosters and upselling memberships [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Can you clue me in on what exactly changed or was added since Jan? Are they now requiring membership? Or still "encouraging"? I went through the USAT club insurance and noticed it was free with the condition you would basically require all USAT members moving forward in the near future.

I'm not sure what's changed since that thread was discussed?

Is it the "seek and promote memberships"? (eta: that seemed to be established as part of the "free" insurance this past Jan....I thought it was already known that clubs has to push for usat memberships within all it's members going forward!?!?)
I can't really speak about the insurance situation since I just went and got insurance outside of USAT. I believe the landed on insuring everyone but requiring clubs to "encourage" that they sign up for the annual + provide rosters.

What has changed since January is that they're now requiring ALL CLUBS to agree to encouraging their members to be USAT annual members and provide a roster twice a year. That wasn't in the agreement language when I paid my $50 for my club membership for 2019. This is a new requirement for ALL clubs, regardless of if they got USAT insurance or not.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT is at it again - making clubs share rosters and upselling memberships [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What has changed since January is that they're now requiring ALL CLUBS to agree to encouraging their members to be USAT annual members and provide a roster twice a year. That wasn't in the agreement language when I paid my $50 for my club membership for 2019. This is a new requirement for ALL clubs, regardless of if they got USAT insurance or not.

---

AH gotcha. So what's the penalty for a club like yourself if you dont "encourage" USAT membership? Lose of club status I suppose?

Just curious if you've gotten all your insurance outside of USAT, what's actually the bonus of being a USAT club for your own club? Do yall draw members more locally or online?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT is at it again - making clubs share rosters and upselling memberships [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

---

AH gotcha. So what's the penalty for a club like yourself if you dont "encourage" USAT membership? Lose of club status I suppose?

Just curious if you've gotten all your insurance outside of USAT, what's actually the bonus of being a USAT club for your own club? Do yall draw members more locally or online?

Honestly, all of our new members find us through google, so there isn't a real reason to being a USAT club. The main benefit WAS the insurance, but since they switched it after we had renewed for 2019 (they basically said "renew and we'll share our new great insurance policy with you" and then I saw the insurance policy and went hard pass). So I really feel like we got a strong bait and switch from them. I can't see any reason to renew for 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I don't have a USAT club anymore, although I did for 2 or 3 years. What are the benefits of being a club, other than insurance?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly wish USAT would die and a better organization take their place.

If having a membership weren't required to race, there'd be no point to them for 98% of the population. I also don't understand why race directors go through the USAT in the first place.

I was a member of USATF (running) for a few years and at least got some benefits from it, mostly with a number of USATF races that happened in the midwest, including a few comped or discounted entries.

The membership is also expensive for what you get in return (pretty much nothing). It's almost as much as my local run-club membership, at at least there I get stuff for the $$ pay.
Quote Reply