https://www.teamusa.org/...ampionships-Canceled

Disappointed, but expected.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same for me too. My training has been a mixed bag. If I'm racing Nats, I wanted to be my A race. Hopefully, we will be in a better spot next year and we can all compete at our best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was all but certain 3 months ago that this event was a goner, so no surprise.

Not surprised, either, that 2020 ITU Short Course WC Team USA members get first dibs on a Team USA slot for the 2021 WC at Bermuda. I half expect them to just bump all the age groups a year at the 2021 WC's (i.e. 41-45 instead of 40-44; 46-50 instead of 45-49; etc). It will be interesting to see what they do for additional roll-downs, though, as I'm sure there will be plenty who would have traveled to Calgary but can't or won't want to go to Bermuda.

Nice to see that they rolled the 2-year deal with Milwaukee back a year, so the race will be there again in 2022. I think it will be a good venue, and it relieves USAT from having to start the 2022 host venue solicitation process in a very uncertain time.

What's really interesting to me is that they've opened the qualification window for 2021 Nationals all the way back to April 1, 2018.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jun 18, 20 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a bummer. Any idea if ITU World Champs for 2022 will still be in Bermuda? That was the goal for doing Nats this year.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
It is a bummer. Any idea if ITU World Champs for 2022 will still be in Bermuda? That was the goal for doing Nats this year.

No, Calgary skipped, Bermuda is on for 2021 (although I think it's still iffy), and Abu Dhabi in 2022.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that USAT will take a look at this year's rankings.

For the Sprint distance, I'd expect those who placed 9-18 in their age group last year in Cleveland are eligible for roll-down spots after this year's Draft-Legal National Championship (provded it stays on). Athletes who confirmed their spot for this year's Grand Final have the option to roll over to next year.

For Olympic distance, the spots roll down all the way to 30th place in each age group. I'd assume they will do that with the finishers of last year's Age Group Nationals.

After the roll-downs, I'd be very surprised if there aren't any spots left for either distance, especially because many people have aged-up this year or will be aging up next year. In the Team USA qualification tab (https://www.teamusa.org/...am-USA/Qualification) it says they would offer spots to athletes to finished on the podium in their age group in the previous Grand Final (Laussane in this case), but rarely any American athletes make the podium at the Grand Final.

The last resort would be to go through the rankings and roll down to 20th place, and if the spots are still left unclaimed (seems highly unlikely, but that's my opinion- there's still a possibility), I think USAT would just leave those spots unclaimed and send less than 18 athletes to Bermuda.

My strategy is to become an All-American this year in the most difficult age group to do so- the 16-17 age group, which requires a final score in the high 90s-low 100s and has very few ranked athletes, meaning a small number of All-Americans. My advice is to load up on races to rack up more points, try to nab a top-20 spot in your age group (or All-American status, which ever one is better), and hope that there are enough roll down spots.

This is all just a prediction- it just makes sense that USAT would follow through with this. Keep in mind that people might be going to less races, but to be ranked you need to finish just 2 races, so who knows what rankings are going to look like this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
twain wrote:

No, Calgary skipped, Bermuda is on for 2021 (although I think it's still iffy), and Abu Dhabi in 2022.

Unless you have new information, ITU has not announced where Worlds will be with the cancellation of 2020 in Edmonton. The World Triathlon Series still shows races as postponed https://wts.triathlon.org/ . There is precedent for moving each venue back one year as ITU already did with Multisport Worlds. With the rescheduling of Almere (Netherlands) from 2020 to 2021 the Multisport World Championships in Townsville (Australia) will subsequently move to 2022, while Ibiza (Spain) will now host the event in 2023.

I suspect we will find out the new schedule in the coming weeks. There is a lot that has to happen to adjust including scheduling around the new Olympic schedule and coordinating with multiple sets of governments so it could take awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
gary p wrote:
twain wrote:

Unless you have new information, ITU has not announced where Worlds will be with the cancellation of 2020 in Edmonton. The World Triathlon Series still shows races as postponed https://wts.triathlon.org/ . There is precedent for moving each venue back one year as ITU already did with Multisport Worlds. With the rescheduling of Almere (Netherlands) from 2020 to 2021 the Multisport World Championships in Townsville (Australia) will subsequently move to 2022, while Ibiza (Spain) will now host the event in 2023.

I suspect we will find out the new schedule in the coming weeks. There is a lot that has to happen to adjust including scheduling around the new Olympic schedule and coordinating with multiple sets of governments so it could take awhile.

my guess is they will pretty much use last years nats results and roll them over. they will however give folks who may have claimed a roll down spot a spot before going back to the top of the list. if there is a dl nats in November they will use those for the 1st ten and then go back to last years results from Cleveland as if they were from this year.

if there is any collateral damage from age ups my guess is ITU will allow exceptions... I think it would be difficult to use 2020 ranking if there are any because many around the country may not get to race at all this year...

we shall see what happens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
What's really interesting to me is that they've opened the qualification window for 2021 Nationals all the way back to April 1, 2018.

That's music to my ears. I qualified for 2019 in a June 2019 race but here in Minnesota most of our tri's are not USAT sanctioned, and it just so happens the ones that are I missed after the 2020 cutoff last year. I'm originally from Milwaukee so I really wanted to go but I'm not really sure when the next sanctioned event is actually going to happen. Just glad I've got my ticket punched for 2021 now :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
gary p wrote:
twain wrote:

Well, running in Edmonton in 2021 and pushing Bermuda and Abu Dhabi each back a year would be the "new information." The call to cancel 2020 Edmonton has been out there for a couple months. Nothing about moving has come out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Stelvio wrote:
gary p wrote:
twain wrote:

Well, running in Edmonton in 2021 and pushing Bermuda and Abu Dhabi each back a year would be the "new information." The call to cancel 2020 Edmonton has been out there for a couple months. Nothing about moving has come out.

That’d be interesting, I’d Love going to Bermuda and the family would be all in, I have no desire to do Abu Dhabi. Now that all my broken shit, isn’t broken, I might be able to make it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if this is a bad sign for Ironman WI
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan,

I wouldn't read toooo much into a Milwaukee decision to project an outcome in Madison. While writing is probably on the wall:
  • Door County Tri-- cancelled
  • Wisconsin Tri series-- cancelled
  • USAT AG Nats-- cancelled
  • Lake Country Tri (in very conservative Waukesha Co)-- cancelled

Wouldn't write it off just yet.

I don't have any special intel, but have had conversations with a couple of friends who do contract work with Ironman on the IMWI race. Don't think a final decision has been made yet. Sounds like the biggest concern with Dane County isn't about the race itself, but how they handle the expo, event staging, transition, and queues to start the race.

They are working with county on a plan for maintaining social distancing, but that requires a major rethink about how everything BUT the race itself happens in putting on the race with regards to covid.

Assuming that falls into place, still lots of potential hurdles, including medical staff and law enforcement/ emt support, volunteers on course that could derail this happening.

There IS however racing happening right now in Dane County and in Madison that is still on the calendar for the rest of the summer:
  • Just this Thursday, we had the first of a new trail run series, in a Dane County Park, about 2 miles away from my house. Some weird restrictions and new protocol, but county approved it and 5 more events to go this summer and fall in the new series.

• Additionally, the city of madison approved the aquathon races up on madison's north side. Warner park beach for the swim, warner park for the 5k. These aquathon events are usually pretty distanced anyways-- open water lake start with plenty of distancing due to bell curve of swim ability, plus smaller number of (~100-150ish) participants. So racing happening.

Off of nothing but gut, i'd still say 90% likely to be cancelled, but still a chance this happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Yeah, I was all but certain 3 months ago that this event was a goner, so no surprise.

Not surprised, either, that 2020 ITU Short Course WC Team USA members get first dibs on a Team USA slot for the 2021 WC at Bermuda. I half expect them to just bump all the age groups a year at the 2021 WC's (i.e. 41-45 instead of 40-44; 46-50 instead of 45-49; etc). It will be interesting to see what they do for additional roll-downs, though, as I'm sure there will be plenty who would have traveled to Calgary but can't or won't want to go to Bermuda.

Nice to see that they rolled the 2-year deal with Milwaukee back a year, so the race will be there again in 2022. I think it will be a good venue, and it relieves USAT from having to start the 2022 host venue solicitation process in a very uncertain time.

Hey Gary P my A event for the year was going to be Canadian nationals in Montreal next weekend. They are looking at Oct 2-4 weekend. Not sure how that can possibly work here in Canada that late in the year. I was hoping to qualify for ITU world's Bermuda. Not sure how things shake out for our Canadian team selection now.

I hope they bump everyone a year next year so I am competing in 56-60 be 55-59.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how much this plays in, but the one major hurdle I see to IM events and Nats is the fact that people will be traveling to them. Even if they can get all the distancing measures in place, permits, EMT support, etc.; hard to imagine the local govt being comfortable swinging their doors open to people from all over the country. Especially some of these states with spiking cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Stelvio wrote:
gary p wrote:
twain wrote:

My point is don't be too quick to assume 2021 is Bermuda. We don't know. When Edmonton was called off, this was the wording in the press release "...based on the directive from Alberta Canada’s chief medical officer of health, the organisers of the 2020 World Triathlon Grand Final Edmonton are announcing that the Grand Final that was scheduled for August 17-23, in Edmonton, Alberta will unfortunately not take place in 2020." Not take place in 2020 is different than cancelled. And as I pointed out there is recent precedent from last month when Multisport Worlds were each pushed back a year.

That same press release goes on to say "World Triathlon, along with the Edmonton Organising Committee, the City of Edmonton and all stakeholders and the community partners will continue to work closely together to find new options for the event to take place in the future, when it is safe to do so."

Its still anyone's guess whether it will be Edmonton or Bermuda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ITU is still sorting out their calendar for next year, which is why there is no announcement yet as to what is going on.

My guess on this one is that the ITU will split sprint and standard worlds next year, and run Sprint Worlds in Edmonton sometime earlier in the summer, and then Run standard at Bermuda as planned. No official information on this, but given that this is the direction they are going post 2021 anyways (Standard distance/super sprint at the grand final and then Sprint and MTR at a separate championship), I wouldn't be surprised that they would go down this path early. What that means in terms of qualifications and such, will vary from country to country, and depend on what racing can happen this year in terms of qualifications. I could be wrong, but that is my best guess at this point. I don't think they will be able to pull off the lift and shift that they did with Multisport Worlds of just moving everything back a year...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't aware of the format change coming in 2022 splitting the DL Sprint and Standard distance age group races, that could certainly have an impact.

Edmonton and Bermuda might not be too happy with the reduction in participant tourism money. Wonder what overlap there is with DL Sprint competitors also racing in Standard distance.

Either one is good by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Montreal has already been awarded Sprint/MTR worlds for 2022, with the Grand Final being in Abu Dhabi. An earlier split will suck for tourism dollars for the hosts impacted, but it might be the middle ground, if they can't do the lift and shift that has been done with the multisport worlds (where they were able to negotiate with 3 LOCs and sets of governments to move their events back by a year). We'll see how this cookie crumbles over the coming months as the 2021 schedule gets ironed out...
Quote Reply
USAT cancels Nationals... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am excited to share that just received word that I have qualified for the 2021 USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals. My 2020 race performances must really have impressed someone. I am both humbled and honored to be recognized for this distinction and privilege.

On the serious side, I would like to go to this race someday, but this is probably not the year for me. I have heard that the quality of the event is fantastic from friends who have gone. This should be an interesting year for USAT, because so few people had the opportunity to race at all for a qualification in 2020, so performances should be all over the place.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have to dig up last years thread to sing your praises?? (-;

I was kind of bummed flipping through it until I realized it is not about this years race, not yet anyway...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Did you have to dig up last years thread to sing your praises?? (-;
Yes, I did not think it was worthy of a brand new thread. My post really is about the 2021 USAT Nationals race: August 7, 2021. That part probably is thread-worthy, because it is another sign of our hobby resuming.

Although I am not interested in Nationals this year, it did my heart warm to see the invitation email.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT's wording makes it seem like they're pretty confident this race is going to happen. I'd love to race. I did it back in '15 and had a blast. Got my invitation, but with a ton of racing already on the schedule, plus a wedding + honeymoon in October/Nov., I don't know if racing AG Nats to be a prudent decision.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I am excited to share that just received word that I have qualified for the 2021 USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals. My 2020 race performances must really have impressed someone. I am both humbled and honored to be recognized for this distinction and privilege.

On the serious side, I would like to go to this race someday, but this is probably not the year for me. I have heard that the quality of the event is fantastic from friends who have gone. This should be an interesting year for USAT, because so few people had the opportunity to race at all for a qualification in 2020, so performances should be all over the place.

I got the same email. No idea how I would have qualified, do you know what criteria they would have based it on?

Obviously it’s something from the 2019, but I don’t see how I would qualify for sprint Nats when I only did 70.3 distance races...?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: USAT cancels Nationals... [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious and looked at their qualification updates. They did 2 things... first, anyone who qualified for 2020 was automatically qualified for 2021. And second, they extended the 2021 qualification period back to mid 2019. (I actually did one race in 2020 that qualified me. Although that race handed my butt to me, I just squeaked under the top 15% AG line.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next