Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty
Quote | Reply
Two years in a row the North American championship in at George was changed by a drafting penalty! I spoke with Sebi last year, and baekgarrd this year and both say it was not what we as experienced riders would feel was drafting or worth a five minute race ending penalty.
I am saying letā€™s push Ironman and usat to add a stop and go penalty as an option for the referees. Leave the 5 minute in but give them a choice to do there job if they feel like they need to, but not ruin the race on these tic tak things.
Sebi and Daniel both say they were cut off and not sucking wheel. But even if they were for a bit to long or have a hill hit were they bunch up, letā€™s let the ref hit them if he has to but not force the ref the to end their race, let the ref decide how bad it was.
Itā€™s crazy that we are all not more mad about this.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather the athletes serves the damn penalty like when they're supposed to, or we introduce the office linebacker to remove them from the course. ;)

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really think it's fair to end someone's race over an arbitrary rule? Neither the racer nor the official can measure the distance between riders with any sort of accuracy.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He ended his race by failing to serve his penalty. It's not arbitrary.

Now you could argue that the enforcement may be arbitrary, but that's not what we're talking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, yes, we all know that. We're past that now. Now this thread is talking about the root cause of that decision, where an entirely arbitrary penalty can end your race to the point where you might as well not serve it because in many cases you might as well be disqualified.

I think for most pro drafting infractions, especially those surrounding slotting in and such, would be way better served by having a stop and go penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell that to Sebi after he flies over from germany to race at st George, and gets hit with 5 minute penalty that costs him the win, from a guy on a motorcycle that probably has never even raced before.
I guarantee any of us would have seen what Sebi did and ignored it. We all know Sebi is doing his best not to draft.
But letā€™s say the ref just thinks heā€™s breaking a rule, at least he can decide to what level the guy is breaking a rule. This five minute crap for all of us is a joke. Like Iā€™m swimmer says we donā€™t even really know for sure what the ref thinks is 12 meters..
I believe joe, Sebi and Daniel, this year would have all got stop and goes and it would have been fair enough and they could have kept racing.
Or Jesse Thomas trains for months for a Europe worlds flies across the ocean and has some ref basically disqualify him, because on some big hill they all bunched up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Tell that to Sebi after he flies over from germany to race at st George, and gets hit with 5 minute penalty that costs him the win, from a guy on a motorcycle that probably has never even raced before.
I guarantee any of us would have seen what Sebi did and ignored it. We all know Sebi is doing his best not to draft.
But letā€™s say the ref just thinks heā€™s breaking a rule, at least he can decide to what level the guy is breaking a rule. This five minute crap for all of us is a joke. Like Iā€™m swimmer says we donā€™t even really know for sure what the ref thinks is 12 meters..
I believe joe, Sebi and Daniel, this year would have all got stop and goes and it would have been fair enough and they could have kept racing.
Or Jesse Thomas trains for months for a Europe worlds flies across the ocean and has some ref basically disqualify him, because on some big hill they all bunched up.

Dude, seriously do not care if it's Sebastian Kienle, Daniel Baekkergard, or Joe Skipper. You're a professional, if it's your livelihood, you follow the damn rules and serve your penalty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible we could discuss if the current penalty rules are the best solution, or perhaps there might be some changes that would make them less crippling? For example, would you consider it excessive if every penalty in rugby was a yellow card?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you don't know about the various forms of Rugby beyond XVs. There's 10s and 7s. So the card system and penalty system remains. But the time is normalized. For example in 7s, a Yellow is 2 minutes off the pitch.

So normalizing the penalty for the distance raced is completely a valid discussion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, and I think that's already done to some degree. But is every penalty a card and require time off? Or are there some that are less severe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, generally in that sport, I use it specifically because I'm very well versed in the judicial system and application of the "laws".

Regular penalties are of the same value no matter the form. The difference is whether the professional foul or repeated infringement that leads to a card is a time value that is normalized.

In the current rules of triathlon, entering the draft zone and failing to overtake is a professional foul.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched Lionel talking about the current rule claiming there is a significant benefit so I would definitely believe every one do these riders is riding right at that distance leaving no margin for error in breaking the rule.

Time to extend the draft zone is sounds like and then it makes it really easy to have a range of penalties.

Also I have had a few friends with drafting penalties (no pros) and no one ever believes they are drafting it was always the circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps a rule that 'refs' do 3 races as prerequisite prior to certification. I see all training has gone virtual now...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
perhaps a rule that 'refs' do 3 races as prerequisite prior to certification. I see all training has gone virtual now...

Perhaps as a rule all those riding indoors should familiarize themselves with the legal distance required?
You donā€™t just go out and ā€˜knowā€™ how far back you should be. Experience necessary.

Yes, 5 min is game over for fast AG and PRO, but on the other hand they should know best.
Regardless, I think the 2 min at Challenge races is the better penalty for 1/2 distance.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
Watched Lionel talking about the current rule claiming there is a significant benefit so I would definitely believe every one do these riders is riding right at that distance leaving no margin for error in breaking the rule.

Yeah, the only triathlon I've watched in the past 10 years was the recent one where they went around a NASCAR track or something, and a huge number of them were right on the margins. I'd argue some of them on the wrong side of it it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned in the IMSG thread that I thought they needed to change the penalty time by race distance, 5min being too much for 70.3, so I support this idea. I do recall at Challenge Daytona Anne Haug got a penalty and only had ~2ish minutes to serve, she still got 2nd, so 5min is a WTC rule (not USAT)?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
He ended his race by failing to serve his penalty. It's not arbitrary.

Now you could argue that the enforcement may be arbitrary, but that's not what we're talking about.

This is what we are talking about it seems athlete tried to pass and could not do it , like with bekekard or anne haug in daytona who took too much time to pass . rule says 5 min penalty no other option. Now if refere has seen this guy drafting all the time he can give him 5 min . If he saw this guy was riding fair all the time stop and go penalty .
Last edited by: pk: May 3, 21 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the rule is that once you enter the draft zone, you are required to overtake the rider ahead of you within a given time period. (On the USAT site it said 15 seconds) He entered the draft zone but did not attempt to pass, which makes it a violation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Well the rule is that once you enter the draft zone, you are required to overtake the rider ahead of you within a given time period. (On the USAT site it said 15 seconds) He entered the draft zone but did not attempt to pass, which makes it a violation.

My understanding is that he entered the draft zone because everyone break-checked in front of him because of the guy who passed and then slowed down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is what we can, and should do.

For every penalty you got to run additional 3/4 of a mile. Enforced just before the finish line chute so the finish isn't "ruined". And if it's missed it can be enforced at the finish line either go back 3/8 of a mile and run back, or a 3/4 mile loop past the finish line and back.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what he told me happened. Then I would guess an official with good intentions probably not much experience, and not understanding the implications, hit him with a penalty. boom race over. its crazy. And this type of thing happens to us as pointy end racers too.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a ref is poorly trained, do not blame the rule, blame the organisation and lobby for better ref training.

If a penality is too harsh, do not blame the ref, blame the organisation and lobby for better proportionality.

If people bunch up on a hill, or abort a pass entering a draft zone for whatever reason, unless they were unaware of what was going on it means they decided following the rule did not align with how they wanted to manage their race at this very moment. There is always a way out, it might not be convinient, you might not want to burn the matches, but the option is there.

If the penality is not harsh enough more will break the rule. Personally, I'm satisfied with the way things are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
boom race over

IMO, thatā€™s the exact point of the rule. Back when it was 2 minutes, the time penalty wasnā€™t a deterrent for folks to not draft. You could draft and make up more time than time lost if you got a penalty.

You are only getting one side of the story. And 98% of the athletes who get a penalty all say the same thing; ā€œwasnā€™t my faultā€.

Own the penalty, pay more attention to the group dynamics, know when you are at risk, and learn how not to put yourself in a vulnerable position.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Baekgard he pops to the side as a reflex to avoid drafting, same thing with sebi last year. then instead of the ref being able to give him a stop and go they pop him with 5 minutes? these aren't guys out there sucking wheel and cheating, these are minor infractions in the heat of the moment, infractions that every pro or age grouper makes every race, including you.
It's so simple allow a few options.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT WTC need to add a stop and go penalty [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Referees have to referee two races under supervision before certified. There is absolutely no one that's going out to become a referee in Triathlon that hasn't raced.

You can do all the course work virtually, no issues. It was likely not this person's first rodeo.

However, I love this discussion going on in this thread. It's as bad as it is in D4 club rugby where everyone wants to blame the referee when someone threw a punch to get a red card.

Quote Reply

Prev Next