Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit?
Quote | Reply
Due to knees that won't allow running anymore, I only participate in relay triathlons. I'm a cyclist. I know that WCT rules allow speedsuits on the bike with sleeves that come down to the elbow. What is the USAT rule for sleeve length on the bike? I've got a TT suit that has sleeves that come down to the wrist -- but local USAT triathlons really like to have some bare arm on which to write the race number. (I haven't tried to wear the longer sleeves in a race yet.) What is the USAT rule? Is my wrist-length TT suit legal for the bike leg of a relay triathlon?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Apr 3, 18 16:24
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes, I've read those. Hence, the question.

The number has got to be displayed. But how to do that, with long sleeves, if the only marking is by marker on the upper arms?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Apr 3, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I assumed before posting.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem. I'm afraid this may be one of those things that's left to the discretion of the local official. If it is, that means taking two race kits to every race, just in case.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Apr 3, 18 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my wrist length trisuit at my IM races and HIM races.
just skip the marker number.
they will not stop you for that. They aren't that strict.

heck, i would be happy with a marshall to stop drafting and blocking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw, which TT suit do you have?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a Castelli Body Paint 3.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Race numbers must be displayed at all times. Swimmers must be clearly body-marked, cyclists must display their bike numbers, and runners must wear their bib numbers."

This is what the rules say. Put your number on the back of your hand for the swim and you are good to go. Per Charlie Crawford (former USAT top official) upper arm numbers are swim numbers only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are over thinking this. You can wear a long sleeve shirt, arm warmers or even jacket on the bike so there is no issue. Bike number is displayed on the frame with a number provided by the race.

A bib number is required and must be displayed in front only for the run and finish. Wear what you want and go as fast as you can.

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Last edited by: PT More: Apr 5, 18 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [PT More] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT More wrote:
You are over thinking this. You can wear a long sleeve shirt, arm warmers or even jacket on the bike so there is no issue. Bike number is displayed on the frame with a number provided by the race.

A bib number is required and must be displayed in front only for the run and finish. Wear what you want and go as fast as you can.

I don't think I'm over thinking it, but I appreciate the criticism.

NONE of the area USAT triathlons in which I have competed provide bike numbers, helmet numbers, or bib numbers. They only mark upper arms and calves. And, of course, USAT rules require the number to be visible at all times. Hence the question.

Nobody seems to have found any helpful information. So, again, I suspect this is up to the local race officials' discretion.
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Apr 5, 18 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo - in no way was I trying to be critical. I have probably raced in over 400 triathlons dating back to 1986 and am a USAT Certified Race Director. Most of the triathlons I have participated in have been USAT certified (formerly US Triathlon Federation). It is standard for races to provide a colored swim cap, bike frame number, helmet number and run bib. I would really question a races certification if these things are not provided. If it’s not certified then it is hard to impose any rules. As was earlier stated, just write your number on the back side of your hand and you have covered the requirement if nothing else is provided. Good luck.

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even the smallest race I've ever participated in (with like 40 entries) has provided bike numbers and bibs. Do the races you are talking about use timing chips?

If they are not providing numbers I doubt they are worried about USAT rules.

Edit: I've also worn arm warmers in wtc and usat races and I don't see how they could justify banning them so....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 6, 18 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Body mark a swimmer and then wear a long sleeve wet suit. What's the point?

I think wearing numbers is so the photographers can email you your pictures. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [dave6768] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they can identify you when they pull your corpse out of the lake.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never been in a US tri that didnt provide those numbers. And the Ironman races in Europe do NOT body mark. Where are you racing?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the input, everyone.

I'm in Middle Tennessee, just up the road from Chattanooga. Granted, I'm not doing IM's or even Halves, but these races are all USAT triathlons. They provide timing chips (Velcro or tape strap around the ankle) but no bike or helmet numbers. Because I don't run, I don't remember if they provide bib numbers for the runners.

The number on the hand sounds like a good solution to me. And, if all else fails, I will pack my speedsuit with elbow-length sleeves as a backup, just in case.

I agree with the poster that at least half the reason for the arm numbers is so that the photographers can find you afterwards.

Thanks, again, everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rule on Cycling Speedsuit? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wear my Road ID....no need for a body mark.
Quote Reply