Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT Rankings
Quote | Reply
The USAT's Rankings and Athlete Results has been down for a month and continues to be down. USAT says they are implementing big changes to that part of their page. USAT does a lot of things well. But it's always seemed to me that timely scoring races isn't one of those things. Hopefully, they've found a way to improve that and their website in general. I, for one, would appreciate USAT doing fewer things for its members but doing those few things well, as opposed to trying to be all things for all people.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT's rankings and results is still down and has been for months. This is yet another example of how, when it come to the essential functions of a governing body, the USAT is failing its members.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
USAT's rankings and results is still down and has been for months. This is yet another example of how, when it come to the essential functions of a governing body, the USAT is failing its members.

Just curious: Why is it an "essential function"? Nice to satisfy one's ego? Yes. Essential, I'm not sure. And I have been a USAT member for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is actually quite useful for race strategy if you are a pointy-end-of-the-arrow age-grouper. So yes, I look at ranking and results as an essential USAT service as opposed to discounts or race insurance which the free market could handle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keeping track of one's progress relative to others in your AG? That's not ego. That's competitive sports. To me, the essential functions of a governing body are establishing/enforcing the rules and tracking/ranking the results. USAT, in my opinion, has forgotten that and is doing a disservice to its loyal, dues paying, constituents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Keeping track of one's progress relative to others in your AG? That's not ego. That's competitive sports. To me, the essential functions of a governing body are establishing/enforcing the rules and tracking/ranking the results. USAT, in my opinion, has forgotten that and is doing a disservice to its loyal, dues paying, constituents.
I agree: a key national governing body function: gathering and publishing results (in one place) and using those data to generate then publish rankings with a timely and frequent refresh rate. Perhaps they could take a leaf out of the PTO book and use their Rankings algorithm? Might be a lot 'fairer'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a fair comparision. Another governing body that I'm familar with is the United States Golf Association (USGA). One of the essential functions of the USGA is to mantain a nationwide handicapping index. (Many horrible golfers track their handicap to measure their progress, so I really don't think this is an issue of ego.) Golf's handicap index is run on the GHIN coputer system (Golf Handicap Information Network). I can tell you that if the GHIN network was down for a day, the members of the USGA would be screaming bloody murder. What puzzles me is that our rankings system has been down for a couple of months and no one seems to care. We should expect more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In what way are you planning your races with this feature? I have even won a national championship and other national podiums and yet never have bothered to check my ranking. Periodically I get some sticker that says all american or whatever, but that still has nothing to do with how I race, who I race, or where I race.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I routinely look at the starting roster of races I'm competing in, and then look up the records of the guys who I expect to finish with. It's especially helpful in determing who I'm going to be swimming with that day. So, at least for me, the USAT system being down definetly impacts my race day strategy. But that's not nearly as important as not being able to track my progress, or lack of progress, over the course of a season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
In what way are you planning your races with this feature? I have even won a national championship and other national podiums and yet never have bothered to check my ranking. Periodically I get some sticker that says all american or whatever, but that still has nothing to do with how I race, who I race, or where I race.

^^^^^^^^Agreed. As far as the comment of using ranking in picking races, we used to call that cherry picking. Ranking in no way affects one's fitness or race strategy.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Here is a fair comparision. Another governing body that I'm familar with is the United States Golf Association (USGA). One of the essential functions of the USGA is to mantain a nationwide handicapping index. (Many horrible golfers track their handicap to measure their progress, so I really don't think this is an issue of ego.) Golf's handicap index is run on the GHIN coputer system (Golf Handicap Information Network). I can tell you that if the GHIN network was down for a day, the members of the USGA would be screaming bloody murder. What puzzles me is that our rankings system has been down for a couple of months and no one seems to care. We should expect more.
That's a great point and I agree. Rankings and general governing body perks should be givens. The rankings/athlete results is a hot mess as of late.

Normally I'll only check it once or twice a year to see how I'm stacking up or how races are scored. Last year in a triathlon FB group I'm a member of there was a 'check your rankings' suggestion from someone... I checked and I was listed but not credited with AA although I had an AA level score. Queue the e-mails to the rankings e-mail as suggested on that page if you see issues.

Short summary from the next few months is that they said the system had issues and over various fixes I'm not even in the results anymore for scoring. Supposedly I'll be getting my AA stuff in the mail and they were going to manually add me back in... not holding my breath for either based on the last couple of months.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, I don't use ranking to pick races, so there isn't any "cherry picking" going on. But I do use the rankings to look at the field I'm competing with. I suspect many others do as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, totally agree. Rankings, standings, stats, etc. are a huge part of competitive sports.

USAT should have the rankings updated by the day after each race. I really don't understand why this can't happen.

Edit: I just checked and the rankings and results site works just fine for me.
Last edited by: jwmott: May 16, 22 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
Just to be clear, I don't use ranking to pick races, so there isn't any "cherry picking" going on. But I do use the rankings to look at the field I'm competing with. I suspect many others do as well.

When I was competitive, I did the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the same. It’s not cherry-picking races. It’s looking participant lists for races you are ALREADY signed up for. Seeing who your competition is and how you stack up. People with similar scores, I’ll dig in deeper to their race results and see what their strengths and weaknesses are. It does have an impact on how it will race them, especially in draft legal races.

It’s also good to use for comparing yourself against yourself from previous years. It’s not about ego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
Celerius wrote:

Just curious: Why is it an "essential function"? Nice to satisfy one's ego? Yes. Essential, I'm not sure. And I have been a USAT member for many years.

I used it to for years to measure my rate of growth compared to my peers. Although the system is not perfect, it is a pretty good way to see if you are growing and the rate of change of that growth too. In a world where so much is subjective or coaches blow smoke, it is nice to have data points that are more objective. YMMV

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:

USAT should have the rankings updated by the day after each race. I really don't understand why this can't happen.

My understanding is that the delays are mostly due to how long race directors/timing companies sit on results before sending them to USAT. In the past, I've had some races where there were up within a week and others where it took multiple months.

Edit: I stand corrected. Looks like there's still a lot of delay on the USAT side based on comments in this thread.
Last edited by: mgreer: May 17, 22 8:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:

What is bothersome, sort of like my complaints on the athlete tracker years ago, which still haven't been implemented/fixed, is that what would it cost to keep the system up and running as-is. Not saying you need to update it, but just keep what is there up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just because you won a national championship (nice humble brag) and YOU don’t check it that means no one else should?

You raced a national championship race to measure yourself against others as we all do week and week out.

We have a ranking system in place and it doesn’t work. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for it to work.

You don’t check? Good for you! But others do!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
My understanding is that the delays are mostly due to how long race directors/timing companies sit on results before sending them to USAT. In the past, I've had some races where there were up within a week and others where it took multiple months.

This is my understanding as well, but USAT should make timely submission of results easy for race directors and require it as part of being a sanctioned race. Every race has results posted on their chosen platform within day of the race (most even update live now). Maybe USAT can integrate the rankings system with these platforms? I'm not sure in what format results have to be submitted to USAT, but it should be pretty simple to convert existing results to that format and really it should be automated. It's 2022, make it happen!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
mgreer wrote:

This is my understanding as well, but USAT should make timely submission of results easy for race directors and require it as part of being a sanctioned race. Every race has results posted on their chosen platform within day of the race (most even update live now). Maybe USAT can integrate the rankings system with these platforms? I'm not sure in what format results have to be submitted to USAT, but it should be pretty simple to convert existing results to that format and really it should be automated. It's 2022, make it happen!

It's not even just a problem with recent race results.

Even the freaking servers that the USAT scores has been so slow that during main hours, you can't even pull down your old results. Not sure why the results from old races now take so long to come up, but it seems they have reduced server capacity as well, not just a manpower issue. Unfortunate, as old results should be easily retrievable in a totally automated method and unaffected by loss of manpower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I can see, there appears to be no 2022 results. That does not appear to be a "race director" issue.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see 2022 results but definitely not all of them. Still having a problem searching.

I agree with what has been said about looking up competitors. I'm not trying to find races I can win -- I'm trying to get a feel for who I'll be racing against. It's frustrating to go several months without getting a score. This should happen a lot faster than it does.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race Directors can be the hold up sometimes. But this issue has bugged me long enough that I've emailed both USAT and RDs regarding past races. Based upon those expirences, I know that it often takes USAT months to post results after receiving the results from the RDs. In fact, I've looked over state-wide lists of past races and when results are posted, and I suspect a 2-3 month delay is the norm. But in those cases where it is the fault of the RD, the solution is easy. The USAT can just post when the results were received or that they are still awaiting results. But again, this all relates to my past complaints. My current complaint is that NOTHING is being posted. I suppose if I keep complaining, they'll do away with rankings altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Rankings [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe user error, but I am getting no 2022 Triathlon rankings for any age group.
Quote Reply

Prev Next