Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT Nats Impressions from first timer
Quote | Reply
I am late to the game on the Natties threads going on, but I haven't seen a lot discussing the race. More just related to the swim. This was my first time at Nationals and I thought the race was pretty good. Definitely the best race I have been able to do.

The swim - we have all heard about; long, choppy-ish, a death. Didn't have a wetsuit, was hoping for warmer temps, but oh well. The water really wasn't that cold feeling at 75 or whatever it was. I came out of the water hoping to be in the mid to upper 20s and saw 34 minutes. I was shocked and depressed that my time was so slow and thought I had blown the race or perhaps my body just wasn't going to perform, my calves were cramping as I was running up the sand. I felt strong and in control the whole time, but next time around I think maybe I need to push harder and not be as conservative.

T1 - long run from the beach to transition. I feel like it was easily 400m, maybe a little more and running through some of that loose sand sucks. After seeing my depressing swim time, I saw down and decided to put my socks and shoes on instead of rushing.

Bike - I felt like the course was fast. It def had its rough spots, but in general I had my best bike split there. I didn't see a lot of drafting, at least purposeful. There were parts that I felt like it was impossible not to get close to people, but for the most part people tried to get away from each other. My foot started cramping up about 3/4s of the way through the bike, so much so that I unclipped to try to stretch it out and adjusted how I was putting power in the pedals. I was worried I had broke the outside ball of my foot or little toe the night before jumping those little electric Bird scooters in a skate park haha. Yeah, so that means I was drinking the night before too. . . I took one SIS isotonic gels on the bike about mile 23 and that was it for nutrition. Just had one bottle of scratch.

T2 - uneventful, no complaints. I didn't recon fully and came up to transition without realizing so I only had time to take one foot out of my shoe and the other I just kept on to dismount my bike

Run - That hill out of transition was kinda steep :) The course was good for me and not to congested. I didn't mind the double loop as much as I thought at the beginning. I started out fast. I got caught up in the adrenaline of it being the last leg and trying to keep up with those that came into transition with me. I def faded on the second loop (miles 3-6). Coming up to the finish line was cool. That bridge they built to cross over the run out section was interesting and then coming up to the carpet was really a good feeling. The announcers were pretty bad at pronouncing peoples names though. . .even those of us with normal names, but they did a good job at staying up beat.

The one thing I hated the most. . .no free beer! I walked over to the beer garden and asked for one and they were like, "5 dollars." I probably looked take aback that racers didn't get a couple free, but ended up forking over the money for a. . .miller lite :-/ All in all, I ran it in 2:31 and some change. Was hoping for mid to upper 2:20s, but I think with the longer swim and T1 I was right on my goal time. Also, probs to QR for being out there. They tuned my bike and did a pre race check the day before. I also had an issue with my Qbox, but I messaged them on FB of all things and got a response from Jack and Sam that they would have a new one waiting on me, which was awesome.

The city was great. First time being there and I thought I was going to be walking into a ghetto the way I hear people describe it. It was clean with lots of cool breweries and food. Lots of girls to :))

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Last edited by: AlyraD: Aug 13, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was my first time as well, race didn't go exactly according to plan so I hope to be back next year for a better showing. Overall I thought it was a great experience. I loved being out there with so many strong athletes and didn't really run into issues with congestion on the bike or run (maybe because I was so far back). Only thing I would have changed was my starting time. Sitting around for nearly 2 hours wasn't very fun, coming out of the water as people were finishing wasn't very fun and running in the heat wasn't fun but my whole age group can say the same thing so it isn't an excuse.

One question for you and for those who have been there before: Did you notice a lot of competitors without their age on their calf? It was surprising and frustrating. I know I should be racing hard regardless but I find it helpful to know if the person that is passing me or I may be passing is from my age group.

PS - I like free beer too and maybe if they had it, the line for the food would have been shorter!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did notice that actually. I thought maybe it washed off or perhaps it was put on after the put sunscreen so never really took. The food line was long :)

I didn't really notice the heat until the end of my run. I was in the first wave, but to me it felt like fall. I'm from Raleigh so getting to race with practically no humidity was a change. I did manage to get some sun on my face and upper arms however.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:

One question for you and for those who have been there before: Did you notice a lot of competitors without their age on their calf? It was surprising and frustrating. I know I should be racing hard regardless but I find it helpful to know if the person that is passing me or I may be passing is from my age group.

I've noticed this a lot lately. Doesn't seem to be an accident. I'm guessing some folks don't want to encourage potential competitors who might step it up when passed and the person sees the same competing AG on the calf. Seems like it ought to be all or nothing, not optional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The one thing I hated the most. . .no free beer! I walked over to the beer garden and asked for one and they were like, "5 dollars." I probably looked take aback that racers didn't get a couple free, but ended up forking over the money for a. . .miller lite :-/

You went to the wrong bar. The big beach house building has an upstairs. Great place to watch the rest of the race from-couches, chairs, shade, and most importantly, a big, full service bar with craft beers on draft and bottles, mixed drinks--everything. Great for post race and spectators.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the bike course the right distance? The splits look really fast compared to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Was the bike course the right distance? The splits look really fast compared to normal.

24.68 miles for me and actually I was a little slower than I expected at just a handful of seconds over an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which splits? The app and the results on the website don’t fully match. My MPH was a hair high on the website and almost 2 mph low on the app.

Having just done two races that were virtually flat out and backs, it didn’t feel like a super fast bike course, but it wasn’t awful. Definitely favorable to those who can actually ride a bike vs. trainer monsters. Most of my outdoor riding is MTB it road bike, and I will need to correct that for next year.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, good info on the beach house bar. I could have use that this year - next year for sure!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the website. In the 30-34 there were 2 people at 26.5 mph and a lot over 25. Just seems more than normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the right distance. I started my watch a tad late, but it was good. I'm sure riding a tangent can cut some distance off a 40k. That was my fastest 40k I've done since I have been training for these so I was happy. Not fast probably by most standards, but I was happy. There were some good segments that I was able to get up to the mid 30s.

I snagged 10th on a strava segment, but once everyone else came through I was destroyed and no where close -.-

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed this for the run splits. The mile splits were way off compared to the total time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay thanks. I was looking at worlds qualifying times. I bump up to 35-39 next year which seemed remarkably helpful this year. I was curious because the times for 30-34 look stupid fast compared to 35-39. Must have been a who decided to show up year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
I was looking at the website. In the 30-34 there were 2 people at 26.5 mph and a lot over 25. Just seems more than normal.

30-34 seemed more competitive this year. A 2:20 was ~50th vs ~25th in 35-39. Wave start times could've impacted that, but I don't think that's wholly responsible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course was fair... I didn't love the swim as I don't really get to practice that sort of thing where I live, but everyone in your AG swims under the same conditions. Personal preference but not a fan of beach course... I had sand all over me even at the finish.

The bike course was a bit bumpy in spots which I didn't mind except I lost a water bottle each day... as a heavy sweater in the 4.5lb/hr. range, that's not ideal for me. Both came out of my BTA... I'll strap that bottle on next year or something.

I think the course was a bit slower than some had predicted... definitely not as fast as Milwaukee.

Overall I enjoyed Cleveland... found some good beer, found a local dive bar (Edison's) with a pizza kitchen next to it post race on Sunday... doughnuts and beer spot, some farm to table restaurants. I found it to be an okay city and enjoyed the race and venue.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

30-34 seemed more competitive this year. A 2:20 was ~50th vs ~25th in 35-39. Wave start times could've impacted that, but I don't think that's wholly responsible.

As someone who was in one of the last waves, I'd like to think the start times had a significant impact but maybe that is just optimism on my part. Maybe the fast guys aren't affected as much but besides the swim supposedly being rougher, being on the run course later in the day was not good for me.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:
biglazybum wrote:

I've noticed this a lot lately. Doesn't seem to be an accident. I'm guessing some folks don't want to encourage potential competitors who might step it up when passed and the person sees the same competing AG on the calf. Seems like it ought to be all or nothing, not optional.

I was thinking the same thing. I was a little surprised (again it was my first time at nationals) that they didn't give us temporary tattoos for our ages. I'm in agreement with you, either all or nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
SteveM wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

As someone who was in one of the last waves, I'd like to think the start times had a significant impact but maybe that is just optimism on my part. Maybe the fast guys aren't affected as much but besides the swim supposedly being rougher, being on the run course later in the day was not good for me.

35-39 went 2 hours later than 30-34. Between the different lake conditions, increased air temp, and course crowding, there was certainly some impact to those times.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha... You seem to not think the swim was that bad. But it all made sense after you mentioned you were in the first wave. It was like glass for the first 3-4 waves. I'm glad they had a Meteorologist on site who said the waves would be no bigger than 1-1.5' (YA... x3!)

My friend/teammate witnessed a girl get run off the road by a fellow competitor within the first 1-2 miles of the bike. He tried chasing after the male competitor who did it and told him he needed to stop (2 or 3 other competitors tried to do the same). After the turn around, my friend was going to stop, but saw that medical personnel was already attending to her. He is trying to connect with her to make sure she is ok... Does anyone know who this girl was? What an awful way to have your day ended, and hopefully any injuries are minor... We think she was in the 25-29 AG, but USAT did not list DNFs on the results.
Last edited by: tritim1644: Aug 14, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
[

I was thinking the same thing. I was a little surprised (again it was my first time at nationals) that they didn't give us temporary tattoos for our ages. I'm in agreement with you, either all or nothing.

I actually saw temp age tattoos on a couple people - Are they getting those themselves?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [tritim1644] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results sorted only by gender have the the DNFs, DNS (1) and DQs.
I think I figured it out.

1301/1314 148/149 F25-29 3037 49:27 5:31

She is the only DNF in F25-29 with a Swim and T1 time but no Bike time.

https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Triathlon/PDF/Events/2018/AGNC/Olympic_Overall-By-Gender.pdf?la=en&hash=F781A686A5896CBF4CF524239013D825B13021D2

Hope she is alright.

Last edited by: Stelvio: Aug 14, 18 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

I believe the 30 - 34 was the first age group. If so, that could partially explain the fast times. The course wound around some, but it was vaguely like an out and back with a turn around point about 4 miles east of transition. The day started with fairly calm winds, but that was replaced with a good breeze out of the east (and a little north). So if your bike start was timed right you got no head wind out and a tail wind back.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
The results sorted only by gender have the the DNFs, DNS (1) and DQs.
I think I figured it out.

1301/1314 148/149 F25-29 3037 49:27 5:31

She is the only DNF in F25-29 with a Swim and T1 time but no Bike time.

https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Triathlon/PDF/Events/2018/AGNC/Olympic_Overall-By-Gender.pdf?la=en&hash=F781A686A5896CBF4CF524239013D825B13021D2

Hope she is alright.

There is a new candidate in an older AG who split times line up better with tritim1644's teammate. I edited the name on my original post. She likely had a mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmagic17 wrote:

35-39 went 2 hours later than 30-34. Between the different lake conditions, increased air temp, and course crowding, there was certainly some impact to those times.

I understand that they're using some sort of sabermetrics-like formula aimed at reducing course congestion to determine the wave order, but, with World Championship bids on the line and age-ins and age-outs being applied, there's a strong argument for going in sequential order, too. Sounds like those 34 aging into the 35-39 bracket had dramatically more favorable conditions than the other ~80% of the folks competing for the same bids.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 14, 18 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Impressions from first timer [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
dmagic17 wrote:

I understand that they're using some sort of sabermetrics-like formula aimed at reducing course congestion to determine the wave order, but, with World Championship bids on the line and age-ins and age-outs being applied, there's a strong argument for going in sequential order, too. Sounds like those 34 aging into the 35-39 bracket had dramatically more favorable conditions than the other ~80% of the folks competing for the same bids.

That's a great point that I'm surprised I haven't seen yet. I didn't even think about the age-up implications of the wide time gap.
Quote Reply

Prev Next