Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT Du Nats
Quote | Reply
Well, they are *still* scheduled for late May in Tuscaloosa, AL. There can be no way these take place in light of the CV-19 situation. But there has been no communication from USAT about this and my recent email to them generated a fast response (thanks) that they were still considering all options (no, thanks). We are at a point when training for a late May event is critical. USAT needs to get off their a$$ and make a decision.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same with Off-Road Nationals. I feel like USAT is dropping the ball here.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO events are gong to happen in the US until Sept/Oct at the earliest if they are going to happen at all. People are dying. Cancel your trip, go ride your Power Cranks and be happy you are healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know this. I know this. I started this thread because USAT, apparently, does not know this. I understand if they are lining up a replacement event and are waiting for a date to reveal the plan. But why not say what we all know. Not going to happen in May...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off road has been rescheduled. I’m sure they are sorting out the details now for Du Nats

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I haven't seen anything about that. Did they send out an email about it, or update the website?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I received an email and I haven’t even signed up!

USA TRIATHLON OFF-ROAD NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS RESCHEDULED FROM MAY 16 TO SEPTEMBER 13

New Jersey race hosted by Ready Set Go Adventures is ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships qualifier

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — USA Triathlon, along with race production company Ready Set Go Adventures, today announced that the 2020 USA Triathlon Off-Road National Championships have been rescheduled due to the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic. The event was initially due to take place Saturday, May 16, as part of Way Over Yonder Off-Road Triathlon & Duathlon at Wawayanda State Park in Hewitt, New Jersey. It has been rescheduled for Sunday, Sept. 13, at the same venue.

The postponement was made after New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy issued a statewide stay-at-home order from March 21, 2020, until further notice, to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 and protect the capacity of New Jersey’s health care system for the state’s most vulnerable populations.

“Since Ready Set Go Adventures started in 2016, our goal has been to provide the best possible racing experience for off-road triathletes,” said David Schwartz, Head Adventurer at Ready Set Go Adventures and Race Director for the USA Triathlon Off-Road National Championships. “The COVID-19 crisis and the resulting stay-at-home policy have clearly affected all of us, impacting both training and the ability to travel. With our racers in mind, we have made the decision to reschedule the USA Triathlon Off-Road National Championships. Thanks to strong partnerships with USA Triathlon and New Jersey State Parks, we are pleased to offer a concrete rescheduled date so that our athletes can maximize their training and preparations.”

“While postponing races is never ideal, the current situation surrounding COVID-19 makes it impossible for Off-Road Nationals to take place on May 16 in a safe and fair way for all athletes, staff, volunteers and the community at large,” said Brian D’Amico, Director of Events at USA Triathlon. “We commend David Schwartz and his team at Ready Set Go Adventures for working with the local community to identify Sept. 13 as the new date for this event, and for being flexible with athletes to offer alternate options for those unable to attend in September.”

All athletes currently registered for Off-Road Nationals will automatically be entered into the September race. Registered athletes who are unable to attend in September may receive a full-credit deferral to next year’s Way Over Yonder race, which is scheduled for May 15, 2021. Athletes must request deferrals by May 16, 2020, by emailing info@rsgadventures.com. USA Triathlon will announce the date and location for the 2021 USA Triathlon Off-Road National Championships this summer.

Race registration has been rolled back to Tier 2 pricing of $129. The lower tier pricing, as well as the registration raffle, which includes a Stan’s No Tubes Wheelset, will be extended through original race date of May 16, 2020.

The USA Triathlon Off-Road National Championships will feature a 1,500-meter swim in Wawayanda Lake, followed by a 30-kilometer mountain bike and 10-kilometer trail run within the scenic state park. Top finishers in each age group will earn the opportunity to represent USA Triathlon’s age-group Team USA at the 2021 ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships, to be held as part of the 2021 ITU Multisport World Championships in Townsville, Australia, from Aug. 6-15.

The 2020 ITU Cross Triathlon World Championships are scheduled for Sept. 8 as part of the Almere-Amsterdam ITU Multisport World Championships in the Netherlands. Athletes who are planning to represent Team USA in Almere-Amsterdam and who are unable to compete at Nationals the following weekend will receive automatic eligibility to compete at the 2021 World Championships, provided they finish the 2020 World Championship race. For specific questions regarding Team USA qualification and eligibility, email teamusa@usatriathlon.org.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's strange, I'm registered and didn't get that email.

Well shit, looks like it's the same weekend as my favorite race up in Montreal...

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot of overlapping races this fall.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't make travel plans for it.
I'm bummed as this was going to be my first Du nats in ~ decade + was meeting one of my best friends there.

As someone said, it's going to potentially be a packed fall racing calendar

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
NO events are gong to happen in the US until Sept/Oct at the earliest if they are going to happen at all. People are dying. Cancel your trip, go ride your Power Cranks and be happy you are healthy.

If its a holiday might be safer to wait rather than cancel.

In the UK cancelling booked holidays often means you'll get no refund.

Check terms and conditions small print etc..
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Du Nats not happening in May in Tuscaloosa. But USAT are enormous pussies, pinning the blame on the mayor, who has appropriately canceled large gatherings through the end of May. Why, FFS, is there no leadership at USAT? They wait for the mayor to do the right thing and hang the disappointment on him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree this is highly disappointing but not unexpected.

To me, USATri appeared too cautious to make a bold decision. The mayor of Tuscaloosa made that decision for them. But then tagging the mayor in the press release to obscure USATri's inaction will likely not gain any friends in Tuscaloosa for future events. And not outright canceling or having a new date in hand for the press release means they had no alternative plans as of last night and were merely hoping to squeak in just after things got better. Hope is not a strategy, however.

Additionally, by waiting so long, the weekend fall slots have been filled by those who jumped first. Complicating things is scheduling around Univ of Alabama football home games if Du Nats remains in Tuscaloosa.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Du Nats not happening in May in Tuscaloosa. But USAT are enormous pussies, pinning the blame on the mayor, who has appropriately canceled large gatherings through the end of May. Why, FFS, is there no leadership at USAT? They wait for the mayor to do the right thing and hang the disappointment on him.

I suspect decisions like these are all about insurance purposes. They will be able to claim the force majeure clause and recoup some costs. If they canceled before the city/state said they had to, the insurance company could deny a claim saying they made the decision to cancel on their own and weren't forced to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
an excellent point! But it is disheartening that potential insurance proceeds outweigh athlete concerns and training. Not that $$$>athletes ever happens by sports governing bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit disappointing for sure. I was looking forward to nationals after a long absence from the sport. Oh well, maybe they'll reschedule.
I was traveling to the EU Du champs in Germany in a couple weeks but that was flat out cancelled with no date for the future.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now 16-17 October in Lake Havasu City, AZ. This went from drivable (for me) to the middle of BF Nowhere. Bleh. Now I've got to convince Mrs. giorgitd that a trip there is just what the family needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Havasu in October is pretty nice.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll pass your recommendation on to Mrs. giorgitd... I think that the multi hour flight + the rental of a car big enough to haul us and the bike + 2.5 hr drive from LAS is going to kill this one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is awesome. I am now totally in. It is now a close drive for me. It is time to dust off the tri bike and get my du on.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm deferring to next year. I live 60 minutes away from Tuscaloosa so I was really looking forward to this one. I actually got bailed out by the cancellation bc I wasnt taking running seriously this winter/spring. Besides, this city's main objective is getting UA football back, that's the cash cow.
Last edited by: DV8R: May 30, 20 13:18
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Du Nats [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad, as soon as I heard the new location, I thought "Chad is going to be a National Champion". All the best in your prep - Doug

Doug Marocco USAT #1039 I have been doing this sport for a while!
Quote Reply