Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Question: Was this the most competitive USA Oly/sprint fields in the history of sport??

Thanks Steve. Good to meet you too! Like you, I was a newbie at short course nationals, since my last one was in Chicago in the mid '90s. Folks who are regulars at the event would be able to confirm whether it was the most competitive in history, but I would think it probably was because of the size of the field and the opportunity to qualify to race at the first short course worlds in the continental U.S. in two decades.

Our peers who race nationals regularly schooled me a bit on peaking for the event and pushing all the way to the finish line. I wish I had a chance to redeem myself down the road, but I don't anticipate trying to qualify for a draft-legal sprint worlds and I don't know if a non-draft-legal sprint nationals will ever be as competitive again if it doesn't qualify folks for Team USA.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 12, 14 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$50 is the big key there. In the land of $10,000 bikes who wouldn't pay $50 to preserve their option to race for multiple months. I would say I have a 50/50 chance of racing Chicago right now depending on what university I end up at and what time of year it starts, but I will certainly be paying $50 for the "extension" to decide. Who knows I may start at the end of September and for sure want to race Chicago or I may start early September and be wrapped up in xc. $50 could well buy me to the time to know which it is.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Steve-oH! wrote:
Question: Was this the most competitive USA Oly/sprint fields in the history of sport??

Thanks Steve. Good to meet you too! Like you, I was a newbie at short course nationals, since my last one was in Chicago in the mid '90s. Folks who are regulars at the event would be able to confirm whether it was the most competitive in history, but I would think it probably was because of the size of the field and the opportunity to qualify to race at the first short course worlds in the continental U.S. in two decades.

Our peers who race nationals regularly schooled me a bit on peaking for the event and pushing all the way to the finish line. I wish I had a chance to redeem myself down the road, but I don't anticipate trying to qualify for a draft-legal sprint worlds and I don't know if a non-draft-legal sprint nationals will ever be as competitive again if it doesn't qualify folks for Team USA.

Anyone talk to USAT folks about what the sprint race will be next year? DL or NDL? Specs, etc?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to agree with you in regards to the quality of the race. Superb all the way around. Great venue, administration, etc. I also felt it was astonishingly competitive. I did not have the race I was hoping for in the 55's, going 4 minutes slower than 2013 when I actually felt I was in better shape this year. That feeling you get within a mile or so on the bike where there is no snap and too much soreness in the legs at speed? Bingo. And that was not going to work in a field this fast.

While my performance was a little disappointing, the event itself was great to be a part of. I have a couple of Kona's and a few Boston Marathon's in my past, and there is nothing like being a part of a big competitive, top drawer event...even if you mess up the training and get crushed! :) Congrats to everyone on their finish and to USA Triathlon and Bob and Wendy Hanisch's group for a great event!
Mark
(Hey, was that bridge 2x in quick succession as tough on everyone's legs as it was on mine? Dang...)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was wondering the same thing about 2016 sprint nationals. Will USAT play along with ITU and make our national qualifier draft legal? It will be interesting to see how USAT responds. Will there be regional and local draft legal races? What will the rules be? And most importantly, will my wife give me permission to get a new bike for draft legal races? Seems to me like this is a pretty steep curve to climb up in one year.

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
Was wondering the same thing about 2016 sprint nationals. Will USAT play along with ITU and make our national qualifier draft legal? It will be interesting to see how USAT responds. Will there be regional and local draft legal races? What will the rules be? And most importantly, will my wife give me permission to get a new bike for draft legal races? Seems to me like this is a pretty steep curve to climb up in one year.

The question is not 2016 but 2015 sprint nationals which would qualify for 2016 worlds.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the NFL follows past precedent and doesn't announce the 2015-2016 schedule until ~April, 2015, will we even know the date for ITU worlds until then?

A previous poster astutely pointed out there is no way Worlds will land on a weekend with a home Bears game.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [WiScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because it isn't published, doesn't mean that there are people who know what it will be, or have the clout to influence the schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe weeks 1-8 are set well ahead of time, they don't announce full schedule until after the season because weeks 7-17 are not decided until after the season so the NFL can balance schedule based on the previous season's record.

MC
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For DU Nats (Standard and Sprint), they only gave us 2 weeks to claim our slots (pay the $50 deposit). They did this on-site at the awards and through a follow-up e-mail. The lines were huge and that was a small field compared to Tri Nats.

I was all set to pay for my slot at the awards in MKE but USAT said that they were only doing it via e-mail - they simply asked me to confirm my e-mail address.

I thought the process of allowing 11-25 to verify their e-mails prior to the awards and 1-10 during/after the awards helped expedite the process from years past but they should have gone ahead and let us pay.

As for the road surface in MKE...I thought the race course surface was butter compared to the rest of the roads in town. Just be thankful we raced on the roads that we did!

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Just because it isn't published, doesn't mean that there are people who know what it will be, or have the clout to influence the schedule.

I think there is <0% chance the ITU can influence the NFL:)

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I thought the bridge was brutal! That's where I got my flat!

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going up or down? My only fear about the race was flattng going down the bridge...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Going up or down? My only fear about the race was flattng going down the bridge...

In 2013 I was going down the bridge into T2. I was looking down at my feet, which I was taking out of their shoes. I hit a pot hole and my breaks (at the same time) and went over my handle bars at 25+ mph.
I broke my collar bone.
It is not the courses fault, that I am an idiot!!

This year i was very conservative on that part of the course.
The roads were not idiot proof. But would you want a course like that anyway?

All in all it is an awesome event. Very well run. Very competitive in a good way. Coming from Arizona in summer I felt I had arrived in paradise. It was not an inconvenient or expensive trip. They even had a fun awards ceremony.
(I usually dislike those).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just got the email this afternoon about registering and accepting my slot for Team USA (sprint) so after paying the $50 fee the page that came up next says that I am now registered for Worlds to be held on Saturday September 26th 2015.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corduroy wrote:
Really? I thought the bridge was brutal! That's where I got my flat!

I hated the road as well, but maybe that's because I too flatted on the bridge. Going up. I think it was a pinch flat because it happened right when I went over one of the metal expansion joints. Although when I got home and changed it the old tube didn't have the normal snake bite mark of a pinch flat, but instead just a decent sized hole. Either way...bummer. Was having a nice race up until that point. Oh well. Onward and upward I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really remember -- I rode half the bridge on the flat. I didn't really inspect the tube for the snake bite. For the most part USAT did a good job covering the expansion joints.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
just got the email this afternoon about registering and accepting my slot for Team USA (sprint) so after paying the $50 fee the page that came up next says that I am now registered for Worlds to be held on Saturday September 26th 2015.

Where did you see the sept 26th date?!

Glenda
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [gmatom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Top right corner on the Active email confirmation.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I didn't notice that! I hope it's around there, I'm worried it'll end up the same weekend as IM MOO.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:

Nice job Mike! What is the deadline for submitting the deposit?

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Randy, sorry I never saw you.
The email said we had until Sunday August 17th to register.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there and what an experience! My largest race to date and a bit humbling although I don't take this sport or myself that "seriously"... I do this because I enjoy it and many other positives this hobby gives me. Inspiring others is at the top and through my social media blurbs during my attendance I inspired one of my reader to "get more healthy"... that's a win for me.

I digress, I didn't have the race I wanted to and ideally I'd have known the bike course better. I'm usually an off the front swimmer, but I panic'd a bit in the water mid cove with a bit of chop, mouth full of water and honestly I haven't swam in my wet suit since a January race... where I also had a little mini panic attack. I'd love to come back and do this one again and to be competitive I have to find some of my low 5 minute mile running speed. What an amazing experience though, I hope they reuse the site.

I'm also waiting for the roll down e-mail... I finished 25th in my AG and with the aging stuff a few other spots down. We will see.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Olympic Nats Roll call 2014 - Milwaukee, WI [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a great time.....although my race sucked ass.....

Shooting for 2:03-2:05 and went 2:16....LOL....something was very off and I packed it in early on the run. Taking some time off to figure it out.

The venue at MKE is so good. So many hotels within walking distance so you don't have a super early morning trying to find parking. The swim was absolutely spot on in distance which is always incredible. Bike a little short to help the ego and make cracking an hour a little easier ;) and a super flat run with a couple great out and backs to watch the competition coming. It really hits all major points for a wonderful race.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team