Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [triryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a few weeks since the USAT rankings have been updated. Races have been scored but not included in the rankings. I emailed them over a week ago to make sure they were aware. There is a problem (obviously) and they are working on it. Would have assumed it would be fixed by now.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I also emailed and they replied that there is an IT issue they are working on.

I actually qualified for Nats at Escape Philly Tri and they have not uploaded the race results because the race director listed the Oly as an off-road event on the application. They do not know how to fix that error currently...so no invitation from USAT for nationals.

I had also qualified for Nats at New Jersey State Triathlon...which they just posted yesterday. I am not sure if that makes the cutoff for this years Nats or not...maybe it qualifies me for 2019?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The qualification period ends August 3rd (also the last day to register). The were having issue with sending out the qualification emails too.
This was posted on the event FB page:
For athletes who have recently qualified for Olympic-distance, but have not yet received notification or the registration link, please email registration@usatriathlon.org to obtain your registration link. Technical issues have delayed qualification emails for some people.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [IlcaPhi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the CLE... If measured right will be fast course. There will be wind along the bike route close to lake. Maybe faster than Milwaukee.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed them about 2 weeks ago with a link to the results from my race in May. I got my invite the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The distance should be measured right according to the Garmin file they linked to. It was right at 24.85 if I recall.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I live in the CLE... If measured right will be fast course. There will be wind along the bike route close to lake. Maybe faster than Milwaukee.

You mean a tailwind on the way back. That would be great. I'm slow as sh*t so anything will help.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeti racer wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:

You mean a tailwind on the way back. That would be great. I'm slow as sh*t so anything will help.

Probably a cross wind... But you never know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just updated the lists with the latest ranking and start list data - should be the last one. Good luck to everyone racing!

Looks like around 3,400 people competing in the Olympic distance race. The 50-54 age groups look to attract the most competitive fields based on percentage of previous All-American status.

Based on the start times and time predictions, it looks like 10:30am-11am will be the busiest at the finish line - hopefully the announcers can keep up with 25-30 athletes crossing the line every minute.

triryan wrote:
I created psych sheets for USAT Age Group Nationals:

Olympic Distance Psych Sheet
Sprint Distance Psych Sheet

I ranked people by their best USAT scores, discounting the scores if they were from previous years and/or were calculated using less than 3 races.
You can see which age groups might be more competitive based on the percent that have been All-Americans.
I also attempted to predict times, assuming a winning time of 1:55:00 in the Olympic race and 59:00 in the Sprint race, and using the athlete's normalized/discounted USAT score to calculate the prediction.

I will try to update the document in the coming weeks as more people register.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rarely a tailwind on the return trip on course, but you never know. Betting man would say a tailwind out, and a headwind, or best case cross on way back in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triryan wrote:
The 50-54 age groups look to attract the most competitive fields based on percentage of previous All-American status.
triryan wrote:

Great!

Unfortunately they haven't been updating the rankings for the past 3 or so weeks. Having reported problems. They have been scoring races but those results are not included in the rankings database.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any benefit of updating this to include the actual finish times? I think it would be cool to see how close you were or potentially speculate reasoning for slower/faster times given that we know what the course was like.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You predictions were very good. You predicted 13th for me and that is where I finished. You predicted 61th for my buddy and he finished 70th. Times were off, mainly because of the swim conditions and extra 200 meters distance tacked on. It would be great if you could adapt this for the Ironman races too.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, my predicted placing was fairly far off, but that's probably more likely caused by the fact that I just started doing this last year. Some friends, who are seasoned veterans, were pretty close to the predicted places.

You'll probably see fishes with greater deltas than non-fishies.
Last edited by: Per: Aug 14, 18 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone requested I do this for 2019, so here you go:

Olympic Distance Psych Sheet
Sprint Distance Psych Sheet

Some observations:
  • Olympic distance entrants down from 3,379 to 2,544
  • Olympic distance projected finish density looks to be much better than 2018 with only a brief time above 20/minute.
  • Sprint distance entrants down from 2,030 to 1,292
  • Sprint distance projected finish density looks significantly worse, peaking at around 40/minute. Last year there was an 1:50 between first and last wave; this year just 1:30.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this. It looks like the Olympic distance might be off, at least for 35-39M, It looks like USAT has 143 registered, but your spread sheet has 64 (I think that's the sprint registration).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm registered but not listed in the chart. I'm assuming that means I'm predicted to finish pretty far back...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I am seeing a few things that are a bit off with that spreadsheet too. I am not listed in the m40-44 Olympic tab either. The number of names listed in the age group tab matches the number from the total tab.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
FYI, athletes won't be able to compete at both the Oly and sprint distances next year at Worlds, so that may affect the distribution of talent across both races this year compared to previous years where you could qualify for both.

Is this true for 2020? I am not seeing it on usat website?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe some of the tabs are mislabeled. Check the next tab over.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I checked that too.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fixed the Olympic sheet. When I was fixing an issue last night, I accidentally loaded the sprint start list into it.

TriRugby wrote:
Thanks for doing this. It looks like the Olympic distance might be off, at least for 35-39M, It looks like USAT has 143 registered, but your spread sheet has 64 (I think that's the sprint registration).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REALLY hoping you're wrong about where I end up, and my finishing time, because my last OLY was 10 minutes faster than what you have predicted..on a hillier course. Haven't done an OLY that slow in almost a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ETA - nevermind, I found the key.

I skimmed the new sheet. I'm new at this psych sheet stuff. What am I to take from the pink vs green vs no color fill?
I'm not running like I used to prior to hip surgery, but my bike set up is surely better than for any prior race I've done. Here's hoping I beat your prediction - for the Oly. I'm taking the Sprint as a recovery SBR.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Aug 4, 19 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Nationals Psych Sheets [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The time predictions are based on your USAT score relative to the person with the highest score overall...and that person I just assigned a fixed time. It's probably more useful for place predictions within your age group. If you do better than the predicted place, then you outperformed others based on your and their USAT scores.

HeartRN wrote:
REALLY hoping you're wrong about where I end up, and my finishing time, because my last OLY was 10 minutes faster than what you have predicted..on a hillier course. Haven't done an OLY that slow in almost a year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next