Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Event website, under "Information" then "Parking and Traffic" - second paragraph:

"Please be advised that if muddy ground should render Levi Carter Park inaccessible for parking, there will be a backup parking lot available for athletes which will be located at the Lewis and Clark Landing located at 345 Riverfront Drive, Omaha, NE 68102 . Athletes parking at this back up location will need to proceed to the Hilton Omaha or Embassy Suites by Hilton hotels to then be transported to the venue by shuttle. Walking time from the Lewis and Clark Lot to the Hilton Omaha is approximately 15 minutes, while walking time from the Lewis and Clark Lot to the Embassy Suites by Hilton is approximately 18 minutes. Please see the Shuttle page for further information on shuttle operations from these hotels."

Here

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Event website, under "Information" then "Parking and Traffic" - second paragraph:

"Please be advised that if muddy ground should render Levi Carter Park inaccessible for parking, there will be a backup parking lot available for athletes which will be located at the Lewis and Clark Landing located at 345 Riverfront Drive, Omaha, NE 68102 . Athletes parking at this back up location will need to proceed to the Hilton Omaha or Embassy Suites by Hilton hotels to then be transported to the venue by shuttle. Walking time from the Lewis and Clark Lot to the Hilton Omaha is approximately 15 minutes, while walking time from the Lewis and Clark Lot to the Embassy Suites by Hilton is approximately 18 minutes. Please see the Shuttle page for further information on shuttle operations from these hotels."

Here
Thank you for that... that's going to stink if we have to do that. Fingers crossed it doesn't come into play.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
In the next day or so I'll PM my cell # to everyone that seems to be going to the event. That way we can put together a SMS group text because friends don't let friends drink alone.

I started this in college so when I think of triathlon, I think of tables full of buddies surrounding beer and pizza, laughing at each other's outrageous lies. Just shift to alcohol free at midnight before race morning.
Text sent to those that emailed me their cell #. If anyone else wants in on the fun, email me your cell #.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was it....was it wetsuit or not, was it a fast bike course or hilly, same for run?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a U 19 athlete racing, so texting back and forth with his mom.

-30 min delay because of parking issues.

Also she said no wetsuit, and I assume he would have worn it if it was legal even though he's a fish...so i'm assuming too hot.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp 80.6 so non-wetsuit. The course was fine - swim was slightly long (between 50-100yds) by my Garmin and a couple others in the food tent after.

Bike Course had a few small rollers and one hill that hit 10% grade but it's not very long. Road surface had a few small potholes if you didn't pay attention. One railroad crossing that was covered with mats and I thought was ok. The back side is more gradual coming in for the turn around. Slight head/side wind coming back.

The run is dead flat and had plenty of aid stations that were well stocked with Gatorade, water, and cold towels. As Brooks said there was a 30 minute delay due to the backup of cars getting in lot so I thought that was a nice move to ease the tension. The temps were mild around 65 at the start and high 70's at finish.

Overall I think they put on a good event this year.
Last edited by: ChrisT: Aug 12, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you do? We're in the same AG and I suspect I came out of the water DFL. My interim results had me 101.

Bike was OK. The tail wind on the way out of the back half turned into headwind. Minor but annoying.

Run was great. I prefer the two loops to the slog to the ballpark. The course was crowded in some areas and I did a lot of weaving to pass people.

Overall, a very good race. The cool dry weather helped a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Water temp 80.6 so non-wetsuit. The course was fine - swim was slightly long (between 50-100yds) by my Garmin and a couple others in the food tent after.
...and the water temp felt great. i had the swim as being 50-80yds long. meh. nbd.

ChrisT wrote:
Bike Course had a few small rollers and one hill that hit 10% grade but it's not very long. Road surface had a few small potholes if you didn't pay attention. One railroad crossing that was covered with mats and I thought was ok. The back side is more gradual coming in for the turn around. Slight head/side wind coming back.
the covered rail crossings were great. i still stood, but the carpet was HUGE.
i'm bummed that there's no 50mph descent (coming back in, on the 10% grade) in the sprint tomorrow.

ChrisT wrote:
Overall I think they put on a good event this year.
+1

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Aug 12, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty happy as well. 30 min delay was annoying, but didn't really affect me because my start was moved from 8:48 to 9:18 - so just hung out at my truck a bit longer then wandered down to watch some waves go off before I got in my warm up.

I could have used a warning on the dismount line (if there was one I missed it). Jumped off at the last second two feet just at the line. Was coming in way too hot and did everything I could to stay upright and not get DQ'd.

Wish I was staying for the sprint tomorrow.

Edit: I will add they did a great job overnight filling potholes and sending out street sweepers. The road was terrible during my recon rides.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Aug 12, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I was pretty happy as well. 30 min delay was annoying, but didn't really affect me because my start was moved from 8:48 to 9:18 - so just hung out at my truck a bit longer then wandered down to watch some waves go off before I got in my warm up.

I could have used a warning on the dismount line (if there was one I missed it). Jumped off at the last second two feet just at the line. Was coming in way too hot and did everything I could to stay upright and not get DQ'd.

Wish I was staying for the sprint tomorrow.

Edit: I will add they did a great job overnight filling potholes and sending out street sweepers. The road was terrible during my recon rides.

The delay was annoying.... and I expected it, too.

The road patches looked fresh (and some extra cinders, too); the roads were either great, or shitty. That carpet on the rr tracks, as I had noted, was so helpful.

I had the same experience at the bike dismount!!!

Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the life of me I may not understand the AG qualification protocol in regards to aging up.

So 18 spots per age group. So what happens if 10 are aging up to next AG? Does only 8 from the older group make it?

Or is it 18 per age group on race day + roll downs....then they figure out which AG you actually will race in?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks like higher math, and I'm not an engineer...

Like, what if 10 ppl age up and out, and only 4 age in?

Um...... ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
For the life of me I may not understand the AG qualification protocol in regards to aging up.

So 18 spots per age group. So what happens if 10 are aging up to next AG? Does only 8 from the older group make it?

Or is it 18 per age group on race day + roll downs....then they figure out which AG you actually will race in?

Really is easy.
At Nationals, there are two races. The first is AG titles, and that is based on age of this year, Dec 31.

Then there is the TeamUSA race. Since worlds is next year, you basically just shift all the ages down a year since when they age up for next year, they are a year older.
So, when I raced in the 60-64 AG for worlds, all the 65's went up, and all the 59's went in. So at the race, the teamusa folks are 59-63. It is then top 18 of these, with roll downs to 25.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx, I was getting caught up on scenario where people "aging up" outnumbered the next group that aged out.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
How did you do? We're in the same AG and I suspect I came out of the water DFL. My interim results had me 101.

Bike was OK. The tail wind on the way out of the back half turned into headwind. Minor but annoying.

Run was great. I prefer the two loops to the slog to the ballpark. The course was crowded in some areas and I did a lot of weaving to pass people.

Overall, a very good race. The cool dry weather helped a lot.
I was disappointed. I was last serious about triathlon a decade ago. I got serious again last Dec or so. I'd not done an Olympic distance since 2007. I thought I'd be faster.

My perception is that the swim was 3-4min long for the fast folks, and 4-5min long for the slower ones. My swim was not the fiasco it could have been. My ride went fine. I had to keep dialing back the intensity because I was wary of running out of gas in the 10km, me having not done an Olympic in so long. I was pretty wiped out in the run. It felt like I was running thru molasses. I kept the pressure on, but it just wasn't enough. Better men beat me.

I think that we had 103 in 55-59. If I recall the #'s correctly, I was 38th out of the water, picked up a half dozen or so in the ride, and picked up 3 more in the run. Finished 27th. Somehow the math works out. I was hoping for a slot in Worlds. Gonna have to get faster.

Other than me not being as fabulous as I thought I was, it was a really fun weekend.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can I see overall results? The app only shows me people I search for.

Edit: found results.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Aug 13, 17 3:29
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Champs thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/events/national-championships/2017/2017-age-group-national-championships/results

ranger says swim 3-4 minutes long (that's several hundreds yards)......how in this day and time can they be so off on measuring a course?
Last edited by: tyrod1: Aug 13, 17 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is because the dock was at a pretty extreme angle. There were a very limited number of spaces on the dock that would have resulted in swimming a straight line through the sight buoys.

From what I could see the faster fish pushed off from the south side of the dock and swam a ways away from the buoys, targeting only the corner triangle buoys which you had to keep to your right.

I swam a decent line (I'm slow and cannot afford to zig zag), but was still about 160 yds over distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be too disappointed with that. I had a below average swim and it went downhill from there. The first half of the bike was on target but when I hit the turn around and right before the climb back up big hill my HR started to plummet. It picked up over the hill, but then started dropping again on the way back into town. By the railroad tracks it was abnormally low (zone 1/low 2) with shallow breath and dizziness. I was weaving all over the place for 2 miles into t2. My wife saw me enter and knew something was wrong. I pushed my bike over by her standing at the fence and immediately blacked out. Apparently she asked if I wanted a medic and that shook me out of it enough to jump back up, rack my bike and head out on the run. I don't remember any of that or the first 2 miles running until the first aid station coming back towards the finish line. HR was erratic as hell and my pace was at IM zombie march level.

I qualified in 2:29 but ended up finishing yesterday in 3:07. In hindsight I should have taken a DNF at t2 but I was completely delirious and the "never quit" side took over. Friends and family are all saying how determined I was and congratulating me on gutting it out. But I am leaning the other way and how stupid it was to risk a cardiac event for a medal.

Looking over my prerace meals and hydration isn't showing any issues that I can tell. I have some training buddies that are doctors including a cardiac surgeon who is already scheduling me for EKG and echo tests. I am very lucky that it didn't happen on the swim or probably wouldn't be writing this right now.

It's possible that AG Nats was my last Triathlon.
Last edited by: ChrisT: Aug 13, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
I wouldn't be too disappointed with that. I had a below average swim and it went downhill from there. The first half of the bike was on target but when I hit the turn around and right before the climb back up big hill my HR started to plummet. It picked up over the hill, but then started dropping again on the way back into town. By the railroad tracks it was abnormally low (zone 1/low 2) with shallow breath and dizziness. I was weaving all over the place for 2 miles into t2. My wife saw me enter and knew something was wrong. I pushed my bike over by her standing at the fence and immediately blacked out. Apparently she asked if I wanted a medic and that shook me out of it enough to jump back up, rack my bike and head out on the run. I don't remember any of that or the first 2 miles running until the first aid station coming back towards the finish line. HR was erratic as hell and my pace was at IM zombie march level.

I qualified in 2:29 but ended up finishing yesterday in 3:07. In hindsight I should have taken a DNF at t2 but I was completely delirious and the "never quit" side took over. Friends and family are all saying how determined I was and congratulating me on gutting it out. But I am leaning the other way and how stupid it was to risk a cardiac event for a medal.

Looking over my prerace meals and hydration isn't showing any issues that I can tell. I have some training buddies that are doctors including a cardiac surgeon who is already scheduling me for EKG and echo tests. I am very lucky that it didn't happen on the swim or probably wouldn't be writing this right now.

It's possible that AG Nats was my last Triathlon.

Dude, that's scary shit. Be careful.

10yrs ago I did an Olympic in Jacksonville (FL) that I should have skipped because I was way over-trained and needed to take a month off. Of course, you'd have had to put a gun to my head to take that month off. It was really hot. In the run, I immediately fell apart. I couldn't, well, I couldn't seem to run. But I was too bullheaded to stop. The last mile I did in some kind of pathetic shuffle, sure I could tough it out until the finish.

A couple weeks later, a guy my age back then, early-mid 40's, died in one of the Charleston (SC) sprints. He was fit and fast. 2 kids. Dead from the heat. It took that guy's death to make me understand how stupid I'd been in the JAX race. We had 3 toddlers back then, and I'd taken a stupid risk. My father died young. One of the things that has driven my obsession with fitness is to not let that happen to my kids. Yet I'd been willing to push way past the red line for a $5 plaque. I resolved to not be so stupid again. Unlike my own father, I will watch my kids turn into adults. Altho if #3 son doesn't learn to be more careful, he might not make it, lol.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Aug 13, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You actually blacked out and the race/family let you continue?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You actually blacked out and the race/family let you continue?

I was on the ground right by the fence for about 20 seconds. Doubt that any officials were aware it happened or they would not have let me continue. My wife asked if I wanted medical and that's when I apparently popped back up and went to rack my bike and start the run. Like I said I don't remember it so it's not likely she was talking me out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time for a doc visit, just to be on safe side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats scary. I had an junior athlete who I've worked off and on, his dad was swimming at the Y pool here in town on Friday w/ his wife. Said he felt "off" while in the pool, almost sick. 30 mins later he went full blown heart attack on the way to the ER. Take care of your health for sure Chris!

(not to scare or make it into something bigger). Just weird timing you said that, after getting that email on friday night. Shit can get real, real fast.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 13, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-triathlon/events/national-championships/2017/2017-age-group-national-championships/results

ranger says swim 3-4 minutes long (that's several hundreds yards)......how in this day and time can they be so off on measuring a course?

If you followed the sight buoys on the return leg, you swam long. The buoys we're laid out such the they arced out (i.e. convex). This was not obvious from the start dock but very obvious if one looked from the swim exit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next