Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USATF Offers Masters Athletes Travel Aid, Money for Medals at World Meet
Quote | Reply

https://timesofsandiego.com/...edals-at-world-meet/

"Track athletes over 100 are rare. Even rarer: age-group runners, jumpers and throwers winning prize money at international masters meets.
But in a plan to boost U.S. medal fortunes at the upcoming WMA World Indoor Championships in Toruń, Poland, USA Track and Field has launched a $125,000 program to induce six centenarians — and more than 300 other world-class Americans over 35 — to enter the late March meet.
Former elite decathlete Rex Harvey, chairman of the USATF Masters Track & Field Committee, announced details on Christmas Eve........Under the plan, any American currently listed in the top six in the world is eligible for up to $2,000 — $1,000 for travel and housing and $1,000 for winning medals — $400 for gold, $200 silver and $100 bronze. (Every relay team member would get the same as well.)"

I wish USA Triathlon would start a program like this for the ITU WC events...

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: USATF Offers Masters Athletes Travel Aid, Money for Medals at World Meet [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is sad. There is no reason to subsidize hobbyists. Any yes, even "world class" masters athletes are hobbyists.
Quote Reply
Re: USATF Offers Masters Athletes Travel Aid, Money for Medals at World Meet [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
This is sad. There is no reason to subsidize hobbyists. Any yes, even "world class" masters athletes are hobbyists.

I mostly agree, masters athletes should not be sponsored, either by companies or federations, but part of the job (which they get tax money to do) of the national federations, at least in my country, is to promote "lifelong athleticism" (as a means to better public health). Making masters athletics more attractive could be a part of that.
Quote Reply