Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"This is an excellent post. Why wasn't it the first?"

because i'm not as smart, nor as prescient, nor as wise, as i would like to be.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
Slowman wrote:
"It all could be easily avoided by simply stating (and recognizing) that Jack's actions were deplorable and noting that he should step down from his leadership position."

i sympathize with this view. on a certain level i would like to associate myself with it. Then why dont you? What are you affraid of?

were you and i sitting at a table, rather than at keyboards a thousand miles away from each other, i doubt there'd be any disagreement between us. i've spoken to a number of USAT board members today as well as others in the industry, and i did yesterday, and the day before. this issue has pretty much cannibalized the entire time and attention of the board of directors for the past 10 or so days. further, it's going to get worse before it gets better. i know what's coming. it's going to get ugly. you're not going to like it. So what you are saying is that the USAT Board, the governing body of our sport has no issue telling us, the athletes what to do and what not to do but when it comes to their own actions we should shut up and mind our own business?

in the 18 months since jack committed spousal battery a lot of people have asked jack to resign. they have, in my view, failed to acknowledge and respect the 15 or so years of service to USAT. Who cares how long he has served, he obviously has issues, has lost the trust of the people that he serves over and has done something terrible. Yes, it is possible for a single action to erase a lifetime of good work.

nor to his attempt to work at rehabilitating himself since that very regretful episode.Good for him but this is a seperate issue.
none of the appeals and demands has convinced jack to resign. none of that has worked. so, you can yell at jack, and you can yell at me, you can yell at the moon, but, when you're done yelling, jack is still going to be sitting on that board.Again a "Do as I say not as I do" attitude. Seems to be cowardice by the rest of the USAT board to not force the issue. By not doing so, they show us, the athletes just how little they care about us. Just send in the money and dont ask any questions.

because i hold a different tactical posture does not mean i disagree with your view. that guttural response you get to what you've read probably mirrors mine. my own sense, my own wisdom, my own instinct, tells me that if i (we) keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we're getting, and what we're getting is no change on the constitution of the board of directors. what i would like is to be granted the freedom to explore how we get from where we are to where we want to be, and for that to happen sooner rather than later. Then stand up, take a public stance and demand what is right!

In my opinion, it seems that the USAT board is ok with telling its athletes how to act but they dont want us to do the same. When you are in a position of leadership you SHOULD be held to a higher standard. We should expect the highest moral and ethical standards for those who govern over our sport. I wont go into the issues with this man "bargining" down from a felony. That is just smoke and mirrors. Then we have people who have a voice in the triathlon world telling us just to accept how it is and you are not going to like it. How about not being a coward and standing up for what is right?

This is an excellent post. Why wasn't it the first? The only thing any sort of analogy drawn to spousal abuse does is serve to trivialize or rationalize it. I couldn't believe what I was reading from you. At every point in the conversation the tone from the top (you) seemed to be on some level a defense of Jack. Or maybe it was a defense of the lack of action on the part of USAT. I probably come back over the top too harshly but I want to leaders of my sport to condemn this type of behavior and not trivialize it. Knowing Jack I'm sure he is fighting this tooth and nail and making it extremely difficult for USAT to act and maybe that is part of the reason for your response. I was just extremely disappointed in the tone of almost every post you made in regards to his actions.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
A simple Morality Clause

Who's concept of morality? If this dude was Islamic and invoked the Surah about beating one's wife... well... awkward...

I thought my post was pretty clear, 2/3 of the board of directors.

So if the board of directors was mostly fundamentalist Christians, then being gay or having an abortion would constitute an immoral action?

Best to stick to criminal code offenses and stay away from morality.

Honestly, I feel like there will be no reasoning with you but, the board of directors is charged by the membership (us card carrying dues paying triathletes) to provide the services stated. All of the board of directors take an oath (presumably) to carry out the duties of their office as it pertains to the by-laws. I think for most people, those on the board, they will be putting the USA Triathlon's best interest before their personal religious beliefs. If they can't A. they shouldn't have been elected in the first place. B. they should be removed at election time. Most of the people I've sat on boards with, you wouldn't know what their personal beliefs were on the topics you mentioned. We were concerned with the organization first and foremost.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
prattzc wrote:
I'm against men hitting women.

I'm against violence between any sex. I wonder what the public perception would be if it was same-sex partner abuse or female abuse of a male.

Totally agree with you, however sexist it may sound though, I still have a very big problem with a male hitting a female. It comes down to nature I guess. As much equality as there is in the US and a few other places, I still feel a man should not abuse his natural physical attributes to be aggressive to women.

Now, we can lump in mental abuse and such, but I feel women are much more readily equipped to match men, therefore I don't make the distinction of "men should not be mentally abusive to women". I would stand by your statement of "I'm against mental violence between any sex".

Does that make sense?

I guess I also still believe a man should hold a door open for a woman and give up his seat to a woman. Maybe I'm too old.

With my puny little triathlon upper body, my wife could probably beat my ass right now. If she could catch me.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They don't acknowledge it because being on the BOD is not simply a reward for past service or for attempting to better himself."

nevertheless, in that seat he still sits.

"
But going forward he needs to make way for someone who is better positioned to serve the sport of triahtlon."

many have made that point. nobody has met with success. i believe a majority of the BOD is in favor of jack not being a member of that board. i believe that board met, telephonically, this past monday. yet on that board jack still sits today.

i think it's perfectly okay for you to voice your opposition to jack's being on that board. but i think you have to ask yourself what it is you most ardently want: your voice to be heard, or for jack to be not on the BOD. for those who think the latter is the most urgent goal, i recommend not circumscribing the tactics or postures of those who share that goal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Cheating on wives right up there with beating on wives???? That is an insane way of thinking ... Yikes."

to you, and to the fellow who told me to go fuck myself, i think you misunderstand. you assume i'm bringing wife beating down to the rather (i suppose) minor level of cheating on your wife. it's really the other way around. beating your wife is just unconscionable to me. it's just, so is cheating on your wife. to me, to my thinking, i just think it's a way worse act than a lot of other people consider it. but i'm not going to castigate you, or the go fuck yourself guy, for being so cavalier about cheating on your wives.

wait. did i just accuse you of being cavalier about cheating? that wasn't very nice of me, was it? i'll bet that made you mad. i apologize.

probably best if we don't accuse each other of "insane ways of thinking," or tell each other to go fuck ourselves. or for me to assume that you don't take your marriage vows seriously. it's probably better to try to soberly discuss an issue, each assuming that the other is a man (or woman) of goodwill.

Sorry Dan, I should not have told you to go f*** yourself awhile back. I let my emotions get the best of me and should have waited a day or two to cool off before posting. I crossed the line and I apologize.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [jkp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry Dan, I should not have told you to go f*** yourself awhile back."

believe me, i wish i could fuck myself. that would have saved me a lot of angst in college, constantly looking for something else to fuck instead of concentrating on my studies.

no harm done. thanks for reading.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
A simple Morality Clause

Who's concept of morality? If this dude was Islamic and invoked the Surah about beating one's wife... well... awkward...

So if the board of directors was mostly fundamentalist Christians, then being gay or having an abortion would constitute an immoral action?

Honestly, I feel like there will be no reasoning with you but, the board of directors is charged by the membership (us card carrying dues paying triathletes) to provide the services stated. All of the board of directors take an oath (presumably) to carry out the duties of their office as it pertains to the by-laws. I think for most people, those on the board, they will be putting the USA Triathlon's best interest before their personal religious beliefs. If they can't A. they shouldn't have been elected in the first place. B. they should be removed at election time. Most of the people I've sat on boards with, you wouldn't know what their personal beliefs were on the topics you mentioned. We were concerned with the organization first and foremost.

When you deal with morality, people's have very different ideas of what is moral and what is not. Best not to leave that up to a bunch of volunteer board members...
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a reply to the whole thread.

I get it that many of you want Rice to resign from his position. I get it that you are all against spouse abuse. But here it the rub:

What if you, yes you, were in a situation that caused you to lose your cool and hit your wife. Or even find yourself in a situation where you were accused of doing so and then you were unable to defeat that false accusation. Would you be happy to have a clause in your employment contract that forced you to resign? Right after facing that time in the courtroom, that time in a jail cell, right when you have been struggling to pay your bills due to the loss of a few weeks or months without income, add in the additional expenses of lawyers and depositions and suddenly you are unemployed.

How many of YOU, YES YOU, would be happy about that outcome for yourselves, regardless of whether or not you actually committed the crime or were falsely accused? Do you REALLY want to have all of your sins be used to determine whether or not you keep your job? What about the others who depend upon YOUR income, like your children and the abused spouse?

I was falsely accused of spouse abuse when I was in the Navy, and thank God in Heaven that my now ex-wife failed to know my duty schedule because the time she gave the detectives was exactly the time when I was on duty and signed into a log book on the Quarterdeck of a ship. If I did not have that alibi, your opinions would be that I should lose my job. That outcome would happen today because the military generally discharges people who are found guilty of spouse abuse because they are prohibited from handling weapons after that conviction.

So many people gleefully pick up the stones to throw at others, yet they never remember that those very stones could as easily be thrown right back at them. So many people who sincerely believe they would NEVER do something have found that they can do exactly that, and rue the vehemence that they inflicted on others as they reap that harvest for themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
@ Tri-Banter: you don't understand what a "witch hunt" is. Witches weren't real and innocent people paid the price. Jack Weiss is an admitted abuser. There is no "witch" in this scenario.

It's less of a witch hunt and more of a mob mentality justice against Weiss. One person spouts something and the masses jump on the bandwagon. Apparently, according to the ST brethren, there is nothing more for Jack Weiss to do other than step down. He's paid his price in the terms of the law. He's paid his price in terms of his family. He owes me absolutely nothing. You neither. Nor anyone else. Yet, this thread seems to think otherwise. There are some who would interpret my opinion as support of Jack or spousal abuse. That's hardly the case. I'm not in any situation to stand in judgement of the man or his actions. I don't believe that people should be removed from professional positions due to mob justice/ "I'm offended" mentality.

Further, the sputum that seems to be emanating from people due to slowman's opinion is further evidence of the mob mentality. The guy gave the thread a window into his own personal moral compass and he's getting hammered. I'm not sure why. He's certainly innocent of any wrong doings, yet seem to be paying the price. So, by your definition, he's the target of a potential witch burning.

This is very well written. Thanks for putting it out there.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:

I get it that many of you want Rice to resign from his position. I get it that you are all against spouse abuse. But here it the rub:

What if you, yes you, were in a situation that caused you to lose your cool and hit your wife. Or even find yourself in a situation where you were accused of doing so and then you were unable to defeat that false accusation. Would you be happy to have a clause in your employment contract that forced you to resign? Right after facing that time in the courtroom, that time in a jail cell, right when you have been struggling to pay your bills due to the loss of a few weeks or months without income, add in the additional expenses of lawyers and depositions and suddenly you are unemployed.

How many of YOU, YES YOU, would be happy about that outcome for yourselves, regardless of whether or not you actually committed the crime or were falsely accused? Do you REALLY want to have all of your sins be used to determine whether or not you keep your job? What about the others who depend upon YOUR income, like your children and the abused spouse?

I was falsely accused of spouse abuse when I was in the Navy, and thank God in Heaven that my now ex-wife failed to know my duty schedule because the time she gave the detectives was exactly the time when I was on duty and signed into a log book on the Quarterdeck of a ship. If I did not have that alibi, your opinions would be that I should lose my job. That outcome would happen today because the military generally discharges people who are found guilty of spouse abuse because they are prohibited from handling weapons after that conviction.

So many people gleefully pick up the stones to throw at others, yet they never remember that those very stones could as easily be thrown right back at them. So many people who sincerely believe they would NEVER do something have found that they can do exactly that, and rue the vehemence that they inflicted on others as they reap that harvest for themselves.

This is not an apples to apples comparison.
1. He admitted to the crime. Just because it was plea bargined down does not mean that it was not serious.
2. He is in a position of leadership of our sports governing body so he should be held to a "high standard"
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It finally looks like we have peace and harmony at ST (group hug time).

The world is saved, just in time, because I was running out of popcorn for this thread.

Now on to some other world tragedy, perhaps Ebola in W. Africa (or elsewhere).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:

Aside of the fact that people upset by this would likely never even think of hitting thier wife there are too many aspects of your post that do not apply to the situation. This is not Jack's job. He serves at the pleasure of the members or the elected representatives of the members. He was not falsely accused. He was convicted and not only that has a very long history of anger and violence issues. Something Dan even noted. Actions have consequences. When you are in a leadership position of a public entity your behavior outside of that position affects the role you get to maintain in it.

Twitter
Instagram
Last edited by: travis_lt: Oct 15, 14 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
prattzc wrote:
I'm against men hitting women.

I'm against violence between any sex. I wonder what the public perception would be if it was same-sex partner abuse or female abuse of a male.

This is one of the best statements so far. I started to cheer when for a few posts spousal abuse was used.. and then once again got sad at the state of our society when it simply went back to a man hitting a women, and then was appalled when the answer to a man hitting a women was for a man then to hit man that some members stated.

To continue on the same sex angle, if two men were in the street and one was hitting the other are you going to assume this was just a fight and not get involved or are you going to assume they are partners and then break it up or start hitting one of them? What is the difference there? What if it was two women?

Going on the cheating thing (not sure why after I told myself wouldn't), I can understand where Dan was coming from. He clearly stated he was not bringing physical abuse down he was bringing cheating up. This is important as there are very real and severe long lasting mental issues (PTSD for example) with this in many cases just as there are with physical abuse. I have been in relationships with a number of women who have been physical abused, sexually abused (and/or cheated on), and verbally abused. All of them would put them on the same level as the long lasting mental affects are similar, one in fact left when the mental abuse and cheating got too much, not the physical.

In reality the issue with cheating, physical abuse, or any of the above is not so much the act but it is the fact that someone is being manipulative and attempting to show they have power over the other person. The victim is the one who gets to decide if they are the same to them not any of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
A simple Morality Clause

When you deal with morality, people's have very different ideas of what is moral and what is not. Best not to leave that up to a bunch of volunteer board members...

And here is where I agree to disagree.

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't really about Ray Rice.
We are discussing someone that admitted guilt.
We are not discussing your personal situation.
It's not his source of income, it's voluntary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

Remove Triathlon from that bolded part and maybe make board into congress or state legislature.

How is that working out for us?

What makes you think a private board would be any different?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently serve in a volunteer capacity on a couple nonprofit boards.

In a situation where they bylaws don't cover or allow for the removal against my will, I would still resign if:

1. I could not longer effectively fulfill my role or meet my fiduciary responsibilities as a board member, or
2. My continued service created an unacceptable distraction or a disruption in the organization's operations and objectives.

In making that decision, the opinions of other board members and people involved in and served by the orginazation would be given significant weight.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well said Alan....but is it any shock that a guy who beats on his 65 year old wife continues to ignore the requests of the board who ask him to resign. Jack...do the right thing and leave.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Going on the cheating thing (not sure why after I told myself wouldn't), I can understand where Dan was coming from. He clearly stated he was not bringing physical abuse down he was bringing cheating up. This is important as there are very real and severe long lasting mental issues (PTSD for example) with this in many cases just as there are with physical abuse. I have been in relationships with a number of women who have been physical abused, sexually abused (and/or cheated on), and verbally abused. All of them would put them on the same level as the long lasting mental affects are similar, one in fact left when the mental abuse and cheating got too much, not the physical.

In reality the issue with cheating, physical abuse, or any of the above is not so much the act but it is the fact that someone is being manipulative and attempting to show they have power over the other person. The victim is the one who gets to decide if they are the same to them not any of you.

This.

It's strange because Dan stated up front and almost in his first sentence that this was his own view and moral code and it was pretty clear that he was elevating cheating, rather than bringing the severety of physical abuse down.

I think the responses on this thread, from those who are crying foul at this comparison and shouting the most loudly that this comparison trivializing physical abuse, are more telling about those individuals and their own moral compass and predilections, than anything Dan said.

Having said that, in retrospect and hindsight, the attempt at the analogy completely drew away from what the focal point of the discussion should actually be..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, so because we can't make an immediate fix to our federal government, we shouldn't try to fix anything else.

Well, I mean, the whole Earth is going to go nuclear soon because humans used too much Aquanet in the 80's, so yeah, f*ck it.

Or....we can try to fix the things we CAN fix and work our way up.

I do hope Dan let's us in on more of the backroom meetings he's had via phone and hinted at a major change.

I'd like to help, but I'm unsure how, so for now I will just voice my opinion, but I'm open to suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

Remove Triathlon from that bolded part and maybe make board into congress or state legislature.

The biggest difference is private enterprise vs government.

I can't recall ever being on a board that there wasn't a provision in the by-laws to remove a board member under certain circumstances with a vote of some type, the one that comes to mind is a 2/3 vote of the board.

I have a lot more faith in private enterprise than I do our government.

As I mentioned earlier, I've given my opinion, I've thought it out and stand behind it.

I'll agree to disagree with you on this as well.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, do you know where one can find a current copy of the USA Triathlon's By-Laws?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"do you know where one can find a current copy of the USA Triathlon's By-Laws? "

go here, center column, third heading down. bylaws, click to download the PDF.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

I would be interested to hear what you would propose?

Quote Reply

Prev Next