Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good insight. My collegiate club teammates, and I have participated in Ironhead races in the past, and my impression of Jack was that he took his services and duties very seriously. I had heard rumors swirling about the circumstances behind his departure from Ironhead last year; so I guess my visceral reaction to this news has been less severe than a few others who have posted so far. It's a very unfortunate situation nonetheless.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Oct 15, 14 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [USPro Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USPro Tri wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Okay, I'll bite. Slowman, I'm with you on a lot of what you've said here with one huge exception. Drawing ANY parallel between physical spousal abuse and cheating on a spouse was a mistake, in my opinion. If you want to rant about cheating spouses (men and women) that's fine. It would just be better to do it in another thread. If statistics are to be believed a huge number of posters on this site, men and women, have cheated. Yet, the overwhelming number of those people would likely never strike someone else, let alone their spouse. Probably all of us have friends who have cheated at one point in their long lives. Usually, they're still friends. Most of us probably wouldn't stay friends with a man who beats his wife (or a woman who beats her husband.) By saying you think spousal cheating is perhaps on par with spousal physical abuse you unwittingly diminish the seriousness of spousal physical abuse. At least that's my opinion and probably the opinion of many others.

Agreed, this precisely sums up my thoughts. If I had a friend who was cheating on his wife I wouldn't be thrilled, I might even say something about it, but I could still be friends with him.

If that same friend was beating the crap out of his wife, I would immediately cut ties with him, and highly suggest to her to get the police involved. If I actually caught him beating his wife, I would definitely step in and beat his ass and/or call the cops.

Not only that but cheating is highly immoral, wherease physical abuse is highly illegal. So in my opinion, and the eyes of the law, they are both very different scenarios

The way I interpret Dan's statement is that cheating on one's spouse rises to the beating of one's spouse, NOT that the beating of one's spouse lowers to cheating on one's spouse (which seems like what you are implying).
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Do I understand correctly that he is an elected board member? If yes, when is the next election and in which district does he serve."

he serves through next year, that is, through 2015. a vote would take place roughly a year from now to seat a new member (Texas), and he would replace jack in january of 2016.

If nominated, I will run. If elected, I will serve.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Slowman wrote:
"Do I understand correctly that he is an elected board member? If yes, when is the next election and in which district does he serve."

he serves through next year, that is, through 2015. a vote would take place roughly a year from now to seat a new member (Texas), and he would replace jack in january of 2016.

If nominated, I will run. If elected, I will serve.

if you keep posting videos with hot chicks ya got my vote!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [2stepTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My username is my name. I abhor any sort of abuse on anyone.

That all said, is it me or do these kinds of threads always seem to pop up in October when the NA tri season is winding down?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
USPro Tri wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Okay, I'll bite. Slowman, I'm with you on a lot of what you've said here with one huge exception. Drawing ANY parallel between physical spousal abuse and cheating on a spouse was a mistake, in my opinion. If you want to rant about cheating spouses (men and women) that's fine. It would just be better to do it in another thread. If statistics are to be believed a huge number of posters on this site, men and women, have cheated. Yet, the overwhelming number of those people would likely never strike someone else, let alone their spouse. Probably all of us have friends who have cheated at one point in their long lives. Usually, they're still friends. Most of us probably wouldn't stay friends with a man who beats his wife (or a woman who beats her husband.) By saying you think spousal cheating is perhaps on par with spousal physical abuse you unwittingly diminish the seriousness of spousal physical abuse. At least that's my opinion and probably the opinion of many others.

Agreed, this precisely sums up my thoughts. If I had a friend who was cheating on his wife I wouldn't be thrilled, I might even say something about it, but I could still be friends with him.

If that same friend was beating the crap out of his wife, I would immediately cut ties with him, and highly suggest to her to get the police involved. If I actually caught him beating his wife, I would definitely step in and beat his ass and/or call the cops.

Not only that but cheating is highly immoral, wherease physical abuse is highly illegal. So in my opinion, and the eyes of the law, they are both very different scenarios

The way I interpret Dan's statement is that cheating on one's spouse rises to the beating of one's spouse, NOT that the beating of one's spouse lowers to cheating on one's spouse (which seems like what you are implying).
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops, didn't mean to do that last response. I'm satisfied with Dan's explanation of his earlier comments. I'm sure he didn't mean to derail the thread in the way it did.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
That all said, is it me or do these kinds of threads always seem to pop up in October when the NA tri season is winding down?

I've noticed that, too. After everybody is done arguing about something at Kona, the general feeling around here seems pretty argumentative and edgy until everybody has their goals set and get back to regular training again. I took a couple of months off from ST around this time last year because of it. That's part of why I posted the question about everybody's 2015 racing plans... Think happy thoughts, people! :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's this time of year when the holidays loom on the horizon, and most of us are nearing physical depletion. Grouchy triathletes assemble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this thread can't be good for your Beast Mode tee shirt sales.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:

I am agreeing that they are both bad, but that physical abuse is far worse (in my opinion). One causes tremendous emotional pain, the other causes both tremendous physical AND emotional pain. Anyway I don't think Dan meant to derail that way
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? You are accusing me for this thread? You are a dumb ass. Go back to Indiana and Smeltzer's region. Oh wait, he lost his election to a better candidate. The same will happen to weiss eventually. You are the troll.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

For USAT, if you punch a woman during a race, you're disqualified. Board members, however, may punch their wives at home without penalty.

What has struck me in this instance is that regardless of the situation, old white men in positions of power stick together and support each other even when abhorrent behavior is proven. Money doesn't corrupt and cause cover-ups. The size of the sport (NFL v USAT) or the dollars associated aren't to blame. It's simply the nature of old white men in power to help one another no matter what.

Women in triathlon are really not having a great year. Old white men have rejected their attempts for equality at Kona and now the USA Triathlon governing body is tolerating the beating of an elderly woman by one of their board members. I hope they budgeted extra money for PR.

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usat's board re-elected Jack 7-5 as treasurer in April of 2014 after it knew of his actions. 7 members need to go.
In Reply To:
Last edited by: JohnLines: Oct 15, 14 19:39
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [JohnLines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnLines wrote:
Usat's board re-elected Jack as treasurer 7-5 as treasurer in April of 2014 after it knew of his actions. 7 members need to go.
In Reply To:

Yes, this is the question I am looking forward to Dan giving us some type of answer. Seems all board members knew what was happening.
Why did they ALL seem to keep it hidden and expected no one to find out and care?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
You've made it obvious in your couple of posts on here that you have no interest in the truth related to Jack other than to attempt to marginalize what he did. You'd be well served to be careful in your discussion of the actual facts.

Funny, because I only have one post on this thread it was specifically calling YOU out for not having any base in fact when you talk about what the alleged injuries were. I did make another post that was focused on your apparent ST and Twitter hard-on for Jack and Dan but I deleted it because it wasn't productive. You act like a bully online and avoid putting up facts. I've seen at least 2-3 requests from people saying "point to where X was said" and you don't respond to that.
Threaten me if you want, tell me what Id be well served to do or not do but at the end of the day I know I speak truths and don't need to exaggerate or bully people to feel good about myself. I doubt you can say the same.
Last edited by: OakCliffTri: Oct 15, 14 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:

I've noticed that, too. After everybody is done arguing about something at Kona, the general feeling around here seems pretty argumentative and edgy until everybody has their goals set and get back to regular training again. I took a couple of months off from ST around this time last year because of it. That's part of why I posted the question about everybody's 2015 racing plans... Think happy thoughts, people! :)

I just figured it was roid withdrawal?!?!

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because 7 of the 12 are complicit in bad behavior. The only honest people on the board come from the athletes.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

For USAT, if you punch a woman during a race, you're disqualified. Board members, however, may punch their wives at home without penalty.

What has struck me in this instance is that regardless of the situation, old white men in positions of power stick together and support each other even when abhorrent behavior is proven. Money doesn't corrupt and cause cover-ups. The size of the sport (NFL v USAT) or the dollars associated aren't to blame. It's simply the nature of old white men in power to help one another no matter what.

Women in triathlon are really not having a great year. Old white men have rejected their attempts for equality at Kona and now the USA Triathlon governing body is tolerating the beating of an elderly woman by one of their board members. I hope they budgeted extra money for PR.

Some things are always the same.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironjack wrote:
I have shown regret and remorse to my Wife, my family, my friends and USAT when confronted. I don't know most of you, a post was made, I responded, am I sorry I did this, hit my wife you're all absolutely correct on that, I am deeply sorry for my actions but I don't need to display that to you or anyone else on the forum. I thought I was being rather upstanding in not dodging the post but responding to it which talked about the charges and what I had done. This happened 18 months ago and we have BOTH tried to move on. The victim here for the second time is my wife.

I certainly am responsible and must deal with my mistake everyday for the rest of my life but I am lucky my Wife of 37 years has seen my efforts and stands by me. The Law sees my efforts and I am a citizen with full rights. I work everyday to make sure I never do this act again. This was a private moment that happened in our home. And after 30 years in this sport I have no intention of resigning. My actions on a personal note have nothing to do with my official duties as an elected Board member. We could go on with this but no matter what I say some of you will never be satisfied, so in the words of a Rick Nelson, many years ago: "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". But again I will say: "Those without sin, let them cast the first stone!" I am not religious but this one certainly fits the thread.

Private moment??? It went to court, its on the public record.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This article may answer some of your questions, at least in terms of timing: http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20141007-story.html
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack Weiss physically threatened a fellow board member at the boards meeting in Vermont in 2012. At their next meeting police had to be present. Are we shocked that he beat his wife?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnLines wrote:
Jack Weiss physically threatened a fellow board member at the boards meeting in Vermont in 2012. At their next meeting police had to be present. Are we shocked that he beat his wife?
In Reply To:

Have you ever met Jack? Yes, he's loud like a Chihuahua but also about 5 and 1/2 feet tall and nearly 70 years old.
To be honest I'd worry more about the board members who are so soft that they'd feel threatened by him.

They should at least be able to outrun him.

do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 15, 14 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: USAT's Ray Rice [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Steve didn't file one.
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 16, 14 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, calling him now and telling him that you said it'd be ok.

do that thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next