Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions)
Quote | Reply
can we get more color in what the fayetteville races will look like? you have MTB and gravel nationals. yes? same basic place? same course or different? if it's the same course, what differentiates the races?

we have 2022 cross worlds in fayetteville in late jan, right? so, happenin' place for cycling. but i want more color for what's going to happen at the gravel tri nats. so, USAT, or the RD for this race, can you give me reasons to buy the ticket and fly out for this? i'm aging up this year, so, make me do this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife would like a colored splainer too plz. (I want an excuse to visit that area to ride MTB)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that every other event on their calendar has a registration/info link except this one, me thinks they either don't have many details to share or haven't begun thinking about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gravel triathon NATIONALS ?

Ok, but just how many gravel triathlons are there exactly nationwide? (in the usa) Then, is there a listing for these unicorn races? And how many of these are actually USAT sanctioned?

Maybe l am out of the loop, but l can't imagine that there are very many ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Gravel triathon NATIONALS ?

Ok, but just how many gravel triathlons are there exactly nationwide? (in the usa) Then, is there a listing for these unicorn races? And how many of these are actually USAT sanctioned?

Maybe l am out of the loop, but l can't imagine that there are very many ...

hence my interest. i reckon there'll be 2 of us in my AG. i think i can podium.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilarious, but true !

Smile

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of questions.

-will there be limits on gear? like a really good bike driver could go with a 700 x 28c and go really fast? aero bars? maybe its draft legal?

The NWA is a hot bed for offroad for sure, but I think USAT will get a lot of flack over the states trans-athlete laws that were passed in 2021, too.

I know the event in NJ was angling to get Off Road nats back again, too. but they lost out it seems.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
info here - https://www.trisignup.com/...ntedbyDegree/Page-33

Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trukweaz wrote:

The NWA is a hot bed for offroad for sure, but I think USAT will get a lot of flack over the states trans-athlete laws that were passed in 2021, too.

I must be thinking of a different N.W.A.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

thanks. but not a lot of info there yet. i hope it's not the same course as the MTB course. gravel is not MTB. also, the value of an NGB getting involved in a sport is: 1) insurance for RDs; 2) a generally accepted ruleset, and the capacity to enforce those rules.

so, what are the gravel rules? what is allowable equipment? what is disallowed?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
right thats my question too.

-if the gravel and MTB course are the same, at least 1 will suck real bad. maybe both....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trukweaz wrote:
right thats my question too.

-if the gravel and MTB course are the same, at least 1 will suck real bad. maybe both....

i wouldn't mind having no equipment rules at all. but then the course design really matters. make a course that only an MTB can win. make a course that only a gravel bike could win. if that doesn't happen, then USAT allowed a farce to take place, under the cover of a national championship. i think we should know, soon, now, if that's the case. if that natl championship designation was granted without the assurance that this was sorted, then this should invite scrutiny.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just took a look at Strava routes around Lake Wedington...Does not exactly look like a big up and down race. Anyone know more about this area? More dirt, rocks, roots? Is it worth a drive if you come from one of the corners of the US, or is it just going to be a ho-hum race course? Thanks!
Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
time will tell.

I know the NJ course last year for off road was a legit off road event.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trukweaz wrote:
time will tell.

I know the NJ course last year for off road was a legit off road event.

there are too many "course info coming shortly" notices on these national championships. i'm interested in draft legal tri in irving tx. no course info. and gravel nats. no course info. the only course info on the draft legal nats is to expect 700' of climbing over 20k, which is great, but where is that course in irving, tx? the only way the RD can tell me to expect that is if the RD has an idea of the course. so, what is the course? the proposed course? even if permits are not yet granted? if you can't show me the proposed course how can you tell me whether this course is a parking lot crit or a real course?

the pricing structure rewards early entry. i get it. i get the tier system. but i think it's incumbent on the federation or the RD to actually provide some info on what it is you're entering, beyond simply the price, the place, the date, and the distance. we know milwaukee. the AG nats has been held there for 6 out of the last 10 years i think (2022 inclusive). fine. i don't want to go to milwaukee. others do. no gripe from me. we don't have triathlon nats west of the rockies anymore of any kind, except for para. that's just a modern fact of life. so, i'll travel. maybe. but i'd like more info. are these races for real? meaning, yes, i know they're probably going to happen, but are they actual, real, national championship quality, races? worth my time, effort and money?

let's see some evidence that these are for real events and not just awards to the payer site fee.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but are they actual, real, national championship quality, races? worth my time, effort and money?"

Well I ask myself that often about USAT Nats (and other events...)

But i hear ya. im 50/50 on off road nats, but wont go do a race where you can ride a 700 x 32c gravel tire "off road" for sure.

Hope to see ya there.

Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
count me as interested as well, but are they any real qualifications required other than a credit card?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no qualification standards for most of the USAT national championships. Only non-draft Olympic and sprint I believe.

Until/unless these become marquee events that lots of people travel to from all over the country (like Ironman's events) and demand exceeds the number of available entry slots, I imagine they will remain without qualification standards. I would love to see this happen as it would mean triathlon culture has become less Ironman-obsessed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any specific info about this event, but i've done quite a bit of road, gravel, and MTB riding in NWA. I haven't ridden from Wedington, but it looks like there is a looped MTB trail from the lake: https://www.mtbproject.com/...44656/lake-wedington

And there are tons of gravel roads. There was a gravel race called "Chinkapin Hollow" from Lake Wedington the same weekend as Big Sugar. (Big Sugar was also in NWA, just a few miles away). Here are some of the gravel course routes/descriptions from that race: https://runsignup.com/...GravelGrinder/Page-1

So i can't say for sure that the courses will or won't be different from one another; however, i can say that there can easily be an option to have a gravel race course and MTB race course from the same lake.

edit: I saw that Bruce posted right below me. He is the director of Chinkapin Hollow that i referenced above (and Joe Martin Stage Race and others). If he's involved in nats I bet it will be a solid event.
Last edited by: rob_bell: Nov 19, 21 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan..."splaining" is exactly what we do down here in our neck of the woods. The two national championships are part of the now three-day weekend of the Ozark Valley Triathlon (road events) held at Lake Wedington Recreation area located 11 miles from Fayetteville. Lake Wedington is a US Forest Service park and sits in the heart of the Ozark National Forest. There are great single-track mountain bike trails and premium gravel starting from the park. I would argue that this venue is one of the few which can host a gravel tri, mtn bike tri and road tris at one venue and have each event held on the appropriate surfaces.

We will be uploading the courses for the two Nat's by end of the year. OVT courses are already online - http://www.ozarkvalleytriathlon.com

If the event disappoints...I'll buy you a Razorback Hog Hat and a local craft beer. I believe I'll be keeping my dollars in my wallet as this venue will not disappoint.

See you on the roads, trails and gravel...

Bruce Dunn
All Sports Productions
http://www.allsportsproductionsinc.com
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first one (that I'm aware of) in Colorado is happening next summer https://www.withoutlimits.co/...-lake-triathlon-ju-1.

It would be great to see gravel triathlon take off. I enjoy singletrack mountain biking, but racing on singletrack just isn't for me so I'm not too interested in XTERRA races. I like the possibility for more scenic settings that gravel triathlon brings over road as well as not having to deal with cars on highways mixing with the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the "NWA" ?

(I can think of only two NWAs, and neither of them are remotely tri related ... )

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What is the "NWA" ?

(I can think of only two NWAs, and neither of them are remotely tri related ... )

North West Arkansas?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [allsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume the Off road race will be legit MTB trails and not just dirt roads, yea?

Quote Reply
Re: USAT: Please splain me the gravel tri national championships (I have questions) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
What is the "NWA" ?

North West Arkansas?

That was my guess since Fayetteville is in the north west corner of Arkansas. The other two I thought of...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N.W.A
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Airlines
Quote Reply

Prev Next