Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPDATES: Critique my fit: QR PR3
Quote | Reply
Hopefully I followed all the guidelines for the video.
Bike is a 56 QR PR3, 170 cranks, 110/17° stem flipped up, 15mm (I think) of spacers under.
I am 6'1".
No major complaints as it stands.

Last edited by: hokietris: Jan 21, 20 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [hokietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to bump this back to page 1 so the pro fitters see it (where eric can tell you the frame is too small), and add my amateur comments.

Saddle's a little high.
Front is very high, and possibly too short (though your saddle angle is very steep, so maybe more setback would stretch you out).

If I saw myself in that position (I'm the same height), I'd probably drop the saddle ~1cm, set it back ~2 cm, and flip the stem down as a starting point.

Are you able to tape-measure the numbers? (pad X/Y, saddle setback, and saddle height)
Also what sort of races are you doing (long/short)?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bumping it, I was getting concerned!

I think I got it measured right but let me know if these seem out of whack.
Saddle is an ISM so I measured seat height to the top of the flat front and setback to the front. Pad x/y is to center.

pad x: 470mm
Pad y: 715mm
Saddle height: 780mm
Saddle setback: 15mm
Seatpost angle: 80° (on QR seatpost)

Also, I remembered wrong there is 35mm of spacer (including headset cap) under the basebar right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokietris wrote:
Thanks for bumping it, I was getting concerned!

I think I got it measured right but let me know if these seem out of whack.
Saddle is an ISM so I measured seat height to the top of the flat front and setback to the front. Pad x/y is to center.

pad x: 470mm
Pad y: 715mm
Saddle height: 780mm
Saddle setback: 15mm
Seatpost angle: 80° (on QR seatpost)

Also, I remembered wrong there is 35mm of spacer (including headset cap) under the basebar right now.
That seems roughly consistent with what I am eyeballing.

For comparison, me also at 6'1", and given the slowtwitch CMF tick of approval:
Pad x: 480 (limited by doing this on a road bike, otherwise I'd probably go to 490-500)
Pad y: 625
saddle: 785 (~50mm behind the tip)
setback ~50mm (ISM PN1.0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a pro fitter. Your front is definitely high and you look a little cramped. Do you have a physical limitation that prevents you from getting lower? If not, consider flipping the stem and posting another video. Flipping the stem will lower your from and extend it a bit, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokietris,

There's something going on here that I want to explore... At the start of the video you're not sitting on the saddle, you come off it a few times. Then, as the clip rolls on, you seem to be moving forward and back on the seat. I can't put my finger on why that's happening, but it needs to be solved. I think I'd like to see you riding under power - as in, 40k race effort.

I'm fine with the saddle height, if it were 5 or 10mm lower I'd be okay with that too. You're in a healthy range so the feel of those options are up to you.

Yes you're up kinda high but if that's comfortable for you then STAY THERE. Also, be careful: if you flop that 100mm stem from its current +17 position to a -17 position you'll drop your arm pads 56mm and will be way too low. You already have a tiny bit of contact between thigh and torso at the top of the pedal stroke now - you'd really bind up in the hip joint if you dropped that much. You could take out a 10-15mm of spacer from under stem but don't go nuts with a 50+mm drop.

Lastly, see if you can move the arm pads out one or two holes (away from saddle) and then slide the extensions out a similar distance and see if that "stretch out" of the front end is more comfortable.

Let comfort be your primary driver in the beginning stages of your position exploration - NOT "aeroness"

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the gentle correction. I should have calculated the change in drop before I made the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastandSlow,

No worries, you were accurate with the high & cramped assessment...it's just a matter of how far should he go??

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
FastandSlow,

No worries, you were accurate with the high & cramped assessment...it's just a matter of how far should he go??

Ian
I would call my position orthodox, it sits in the middle of the bell curve, and it's 90mm lower than his...
Flipping the stem would also gain about 20mm of reach.

But I agree that the ideal position is the one that's still comfortable for the individual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try my best to answer some of the questions and such so far.

This is my initial fit before I had ever ridden the bike so it was done purely for comfort and I didn't know what anything should feel like. In the three months since then I tweaked the saddle nose down (so the rails are parallel to ground) and the bars up to about 10deg and this has made me feel much more locked in.

I'm not "comfortable" in it per se, my shoulders are sometimes a bit sore early in the ride and I do find myself adjusting on the saddle sometimes. Combine that with the overall "look" of it - back and shoulder angles mostly - and I wanted to see what could be better. Concerns about hitting my knees to torso may not be as bad as I think you are seeing them hit some loose flabby skin left over from my weight loss. I was concious of it this morning and it doesn't hit me or impair my breathing or anything.

So far I'm hearing that the only adjustments recommended would be ~10mm of spacers out and move the arm pads and extensions up one hole - about 1cm I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally had the time to make the changes suggested and film again.
Took out 20mm of spacers, moved pads and extensions 20mm forward.
This is at 90% ftp and natural cadence.

Please note: MUTE the video unless you would like to hear my kiddos bugging their Mommy while she very kindly films.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more reach

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokietris wrote:
I finally had the time to make the changes suggested and film again.
Took out 20mm of spacers, moved pads and extensions 20mm forward.
This is at 90% ftp and natural cadence.

Please note: MUTE the video unless you would like to hear my kiddos bugging their Mommy while she very kindly films.

Looks pretty good there mate, nice work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I've been riding this fit since early November mostly indoors with one outside ride. I have had some building discomfort in my right shoulder. That pad was tilted down a bit and I fixed that. The outside ride was two hours in aero with no discomfort. But back to inside and it hurt again.
The pain is specific to the range of motion with my arm straight out in front of me to "grabbing the seatbelt" or opposite shoulder. Nothing above my head, to the side, or down.
My chiro suggested that I might be picking my head up on the bike and the neck strain was translating to shoulder so I moved my screen down to where I can see it in aero and that seems to have helped but not done away with it.
I've switched back to the roadie for now to let my shoulder get back to normal. I'm hoping someone may have thoughts about the shoulder or just in general.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Flipped the stem over and put 3 spacers back in.
Decreased the saddle angle very slightly (~2°) as well but I'm not sure I like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any insight to offer, I am just curious if your shoulder pain improved?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [NickJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's mostly improved by changing how I'm shrugging, even before this latest stem change. I was shrugging with my shoulders up and forward putting a lot of tension there. Now I'm trying to relax down and think about my shoulder blades touching. My head slots even easier down and I don't have any tension on the front of the shoulder.
I don't know if this is a good way at all and have not had any coaching so ymmv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokietris wrote:
. Now I'm trying to relax down and think about my shoulder blades touching. My head slots even easier down and I don't have any tension on the front of the shoulder.

Very similar to what I do. Often I like to think of bike fitting in terms of normal posture: If you walked around with your shoulders up by your ears while tilting your head up to look at the ceiling and complained of discomfort, would people be surprised? Of course not. Dropping your shoulders away from your ears, keeping your head more in line and looking up with your eyes, and generally working to stay relaxed goes quite a long way.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of progress made since the original post. Only measurement I would adjust is extending your reach from the TV screen back about 4 feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [Dallcro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just don't like my eyeballs.
Nah, it's just that forward to be in line with where the camera could sit.
Thanks for recognizing the progress, I'm trying haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed riding in the position from the other day that I had some saddle numbness and it looks like I'm pretty far back on the saddle. I tried moving it back about 7mm on the QR seatpost that also moves it down slightly to compensate. I felt much better sitting the saddle but was more forward in my shoulders and with a higher back than previously and my low back is sore.
Which video am I sitting correctly in (if any) and how do I get the best of both worlds?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved the saddle back to the original position and it is comfy. Took 20mm of spacers out. Shoulder, back, and saddle all feel pretty good. What do you think?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
latest iteration looks good. saddle may be on the high side, but difficult to be sure.

your thread is a great example of two things:

1) how to properly embed a youtube video
2) an iterative fit process
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit: QR PR3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! (I think, on point 1)

How does one "feel" if the saddle is too high or low if I play with it +-2mm say?
Quote Reply