Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, that has to be an expensive blow to teams gearing up with many disc equipped bikes. Not that rules can't change, but this is pretty last minute.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 13, 16 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Dang, that has to be an expensive blow to teams gearing up with many disc equipped bikes. Not that rules can't change, but this is pretty last minute.

Odd also that there are zero specific details about Ventoso's injury. What happened exactly? What was the injury exactly? How did it occur exactly? What was the corrective surgery? etc.

I read an article - can't remember where - that said the injury was a lower-leg laceration to the bone - apparently the tibia was visible. It said that the operation was to clean out the wound and stitch everything up. As to exactly what happened - I have not seen a detailed description anywhere other than he fell on someone else's disc brake.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw more details and the photo. Yikes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article I read said that he did not fall, but was forced to ride extremely close to another rider, and their disc cut his leg to the bone.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was pretty much a marketing push anyway. (The best thing about disc brakes: you need new wheels and a whole new bike.)

In cyclocross, where disc brakes are nominally more "necessary" than on the road, both the men's and women's reigning world champions chose rim brakes over discs for the biggest rides of their lives. I think the pro road pelotons will do okay with rim brakes while the bike industry re-invents discs.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
The article I read said that he did not fall, but was forced to ride extremely close to another rider, and their disc cut his leg to the bone.

That's even scarier....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
It was pretty much a marketing push anyway. (The best thing about disc brakes: you need new wheels and a whole new bike.)

In cyclocross, where disc brakes are nominally more "necessary" than on the road, both the men's and women's reigning world champions chose rim brakes over discs for the biggest rides of their lives. I think the pro road pelotons will do okay with rim brakes while the bike industry re-invents discs.

Please stop with the "marketing" canard....the reality is that consumers are looking for bikes with discs. It is the market responding to demand.

I have been behind the development of road discs for some time, but have been hesitant about their benefit on full road bikes (clearly a place on CX and gravel bikes). But the development process is iterative and takes time. Road discs are still very much "adopted" technology (i.e. Basically MTB tech on road bikes). There is a lot of development that still needs to happen.

What happens from here will be interesting....unfortunately, if they are never sanctioned for racing, development may stay at the current stage...MTB tech on road bikes.

But there is no "marketing" conspiracy to get you to buy discs on road bikes.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pro cyclist getting a cut in the shin to the bone is what, maybe 5mm deep? The photo looks like a tear not a cut.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
...there is no "marketing" conspiracy to get you to buy discs on road bikes.....

Conspiracy was your word, not mine. I would describe it more like endless ad copy dribble to convince people they need hammers to use thumbtacks. If, on the other hand, you want to argue the industry's altruist motives for reinventing the wheel...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the quote:

Ventoso was behind a crash on the Quérénaing à Maing sector of pavé, around the 140km mark. According to Ventoso, he didn’t go down but merely rode up against the bike in front of him, which had disc brakes, as many riders tried to avoid crashing. He didn’t notice the deep slash on his leg until he had began riding again.
“Shortly afterwards [after the crash], I have a glance at that leg: it doesn’t hurt, there’s not a lot of blood covering it, but I can clearly see part of the periosteum, the membrane or surface that covers my tibia,” Ventoso wrote. “I get off my bike, throw myself against the right-hand side of the road over the grass, cover my face with my hands in shock and disbelief, start to feel sick… I could only wait for my team car and the ambulance, while a lot of things come through my mind.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ventoso-blasts-the-use-of-disc-brakes-in-the-peloton/?utm_content=bufferd3de3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

Please stop with the "marketing" canard....the reality is that consumers are looking for bikes with discs. It is the market responding to demand.

I have been behind the development of road discs for some time, but have been hesitant about their benefit on full road bikes (clearly a place on CX and gravel bikes). But the development process is iterative and takes time. Road discs are still very much "adopted" technology (i.e. Basically MTB tech on road bikes). There is a lot of development that still needs to happen.

What happens from here will be interesting....unfortunately, if they are never sanctioned for racing, development may stay at the current stage...MTB tech on road bikes.

But there is no "marketing" conspiracy to get you to buy discs on road bikes.....

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

It seems perfectly reasonable to assume more of us freds will buy them if we see the pros riding them on TV. It's a big reason bike companies spend so much on sponsorships.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Apr 13, 16 14:20
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

I was not looking for electronic shifting. But now I have it.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Here's the quote:

Ventoso was behind a crash on the Quérénaing à Maing sector of pavé, around the 140km mark. According to Ventoso, he didn’t go down but merely rode up against the bike in front of him, which had disc brakes, as many riders tried to avoid crashing. He didn’t notice the deep slash on his leg until he had began riding again.
“Shortly afterwards [after the crash], I have a glance at that leg: it doesn’t hurt, there’s not a lot of blood covering it, but I can clearly see part of the periosteum, the membrane or surface that covers my tibia,” Ventoso wrote. “I get off my bike, throw myself against the right-hand side of the road over the grass, cover my face with my hands in shock and disbelief, start to feel sick… I could only wait for my team car and the ambulance, while a lot of things come through my mind.”
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ventoso-blasts-the-use-of-disc-brakes-in-the-peloton/?utm_content=bufferd3de3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer[/quote]

As near as I can tell from the above quote, he isn't even sure that the disc is what cut him........ Which makes sense because the pic we are seeing doesn't look like the type of linear cut I would expect to see from a rotating disc. I am sure there is more to this than what I am reading but if the above information is what they are going on to discontinue disc brakes, then they were looking for a reason.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Power13 wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

Exactly. It's hardly as if that demand forms itself organically in some sort of vacuum ~ consumers are responding to a perceived 'need' that's being aggressively marketed to them all the same. It's not like a grocery store suddenly selling more eggs because there's a spike in demand for something that's essentially the same as it's ever been; if the notoriously copycat bike industry decides to start offering a majority of its models with disc brakes and then (surprise) their sales data shows more people buying disc bikes, that's pretty artificial 'demand' driven as much or more by the limited range of choices available to the avg buyer at the avg shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like they could mandate rotors with a circular exterior (no indents) and the edge has to be rounded (not the current flat edge with sharp corners).

Any reason that wouldn't address the issue?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
It seems like they could mandate rotors with a circular exterior (no indents) and the edge has to be rounded (not the current flat edge with sharp corners).

I just put my fingers on my disc brake edges and they are not sharp.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spin it up to 30mph and try again....
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
Spin it up to 30mph and try again....

Try putting your finger in a spoke at 30mph....

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Power13 wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

Yeah, you tried this one before....except in this case, you are wrong. YOU are the one asking for a faster horse...IOW, an improved vision of what already is the "norm".

And just in case you need a reminder, I have already said I have reservations about the need for discs on a road bike....but again, product development is often an iterative process. The current crop of road discs is just a stop on the development timeline.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
kny wrote:
Power13 wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:

Exactly. It's hardly as if that demand forms itself organically in some sort of vacuum ~ consumers are responding to a perceived 'need' that's being aggressively marketed to them all the same. It's not like a grocery store suddenly selling more eggs because there's a spike in demand for something that's essentially the same as it's ever been; if the notoriously copycat bike industry decides to start offering a majority of its models with disc brakes and then (surprise) their sales data shows more people buying disc bikes, that's pretty artificial 'demand' driven as much or more by the limited range of choices available to the avg buyer at the avg shop.

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about....."aggressively marketed to them". LOL...that is some funny schitt.

Quote Reply
Re: UCI suspends use of disc brakes in professional racing [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I just put my fingers on my disc brake edges and they are not sharp.

and just compromised your braking performance. womp womp
Quote Reply

Prev Next