Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag?
Quote | Reply
I have a non-UCI legal Speed Concept 9.9 that goes fast when up to speed, but accelerating feels like going through quicksand and climbing feels like I have saddle bags. I’ve seen pics of the SC being raced with the thinner forks, slimmer base bar, ect... It has to be lighter, but not sure how much. Wondering if there has been data posted on what is gained with the non-UCI frames out there? And what is lost?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [Danmelbre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't answer about the frame specifically.

We tested UCI legal & non UCI legal base bars from the same company several years back. The UCI legal version was 3-4w slower at every yaw point on the sweep.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [Danmelbre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From memory from Carl@Trek, the Speed Concept in UCI trim was 3w slower than the non-UCI trim and it was “about 1w” each for the base bar, fork, and speed fin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the frame that is making accelerating feel like quicksand or climbing feel like you have saddlebags.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we referring to les jambes?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re an experienced coach, what do you think it is then? Of course it’s the bike. Different bikes work differently for riders. I climbed noticeably better on my 2013 P3 (now only a trainer bike). The SC weighs 1.75 lbs more. And there must be other issues with the geometry that do t seem to suit me well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danmelbre wrote:
You’re an experienced coach, what do you think it is then? Of course it’s the bike. Different bikes work differently for riders. I climbed noticeably better on my 2013 P3 (now only a trainer bike). The SC weighs 1.75 lbs more. And there must be other issues with the geometry that do t seem to suit me well.

I really doubt that your SC is 1.75 pounds heavier than an old P3. Unless you’re way different on component/parts spec.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your doubt is misplaced. I weighed them both w/o wheels. The P3 is mechanical DA, the SC Di2. The SC is much heavier; some don’t think that’s enough difference to feel, I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Danmelbre wrote:
Your doubt is misplaced. I weighed them both w/o wheels. The P3 is mechanical DA, the SC Di2. The SC is much heavier; some don’t think that’s enough difference to feel, I do.

Fair enough, it’s not in the frame/fork/bars though.

Take pictures and post.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: UCI-legal or tri frame; how much difference in drag? [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Are we referring to les jambes?

Oui.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can appreciate that different bike setups can feel a lot different when climbing. For the record, I have an older UCI-legal SC (ca. 2012) and a newer, non UCI-legal one. The front ends are different so they do feel different when climbing (the newer is more comfortable).

But I would attribute it to the position & shape of the bars and pads, not to the frame. As for weight, 1.75 lbs is like, what, 2 water bottles (with water). I'd have a hard time perceiving a difference in climbing with or without bottles. Although maybe I would if I weighed 130lbs.

For accelerating I would be hard pressed to really find any appreciable difference between them, or to other TT bikes I've had.

(and I'm not a coach, experienced or otherwise!)
Quote Reply