Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UAE TT Crash at finish line
Quote | Reply
Surprised no one has commented on this. Hope the guy is ok.

Anybody see the footage, or know what actually happened? Was it a tire issue, chain, or aero bars snapping?
Guy crashed and slid thru the finish line. Hit his head pretty hard too. Hope he is OK.
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell. My first thought is that he pulled out of a pedal but watching in slow-mo, it doesn't look like it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It almost looks like a chain break or chain drop as the guy looks like he was suddenly pedaling into a void!
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
It almost looks like a chain break or chain drop as the guy looks like he was suddenly pedaling into a void!
I'm leaning toward *maybe* the left rear chain stay (or maybe seat stay) snapped. First thing is the left rear of the bike flexing/collapsing, then he tries to steer out of it. Also before anyone mentions frame failure, if the stay collapsed it's almost surely from damage sustained somewhere earlier.
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking after the fall, there isn’t an obvious break in the seat or chain stay on the left. There is a good view. Slow motion of the fall shows the chain off though, but not proof that caused it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

Anybody see the footage, or know what actually happened? Was it a tire issue, chain, or aero bars snapping?
Guy crashed and slid thru the finish line. Hit his head pretty hard too. Hope he is OK.

Looks like his right arm slipped off the aerobar pads. We have seen this before.
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arm comes off well after the "incident"
Looks like a bearing in the front wheel collapsed , but I dont know if that would be enough to cause you to crash.
Regardless, it definitely looks like a mechanical failure of some kind causing the crash

Hope he is ok, looks like he hit the deck hard
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have another source? Because it’s nowhere near clear enough to determine that in the video. It wouldn’t likely break clean off. It would just fail and then become like a spring suspended at one end.

iamuwere wrote:
Looking after the fall, there isn’t an obvious break in the seat or chain stay on the left. There is a good view. Slow motion of the fall shows the chain off though, but not proof that caused it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Chain drop, freehub fail, or something similar. Looks like he loses resistance on the pedals which causes him to lurch forward with his body weight and slip one elbow off the pads. At that point it's tough to recover.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Chain drop, freehub fail, or something similar. Looks like he loses resistance on the pedals which causes him to lurch forward with his body weight and slip one elbow off the pads. At that point it's tough to recover.

This is what it looked like to me and when you are stomping hard on the pedals with all your weight on the pedals and remaining amount on the pads with almost no pressure on the saddle that looks like what would happen if yuo suddenly lose any connection to the read wheel (chain break, chain drop, freehub pall failure)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got nothing. I think the arm slipping off is the result, not the cause.

The rear wheel is still spinning, and almost any stay failure that bad I think would result in a locked-up rear wheel.

There's no satisfying whip-lash appearance you get from a snapped chain. But maybe the frame rate is just too low to pick that out. But if I had to guess, I'd go chain break or other similar drivetrain failure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not one of those pro textreme trispokes collapsing again like sky went through a few of in one week?
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope just looking on a decently big 5k screen frame by frame. The wheel never moves in the rear triangle that I can see
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say there's an argument it's a simple case of a wobble on a bike that doesn't have enough front centre? The pro tour TT guys are restricted by length so want more drop and ride smaller frame sizes. Get a wobble on something too small with too much weight on the front and it's a recipe for disaster at those speeds. Maybe some toe overlap when he tries to re correct but hard to tell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd think if it was mechanical they would have figured that out.

"The reasons for the crash remain unclear but the team confirmed to Cyclingnews that while they have no current explanation, they are looking into the matter.
“It was a bizarre crash,” a spokesperson for the team confirmed, "and we are looking into it to determine what could have caused it.” "
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will they throw a sponsor "under the bus" or their own rider, seems to be the issue....I mean isn't it smart to say "we'll investigate" and then likely never really say anything after that....(they'll figure it behind the scenes and with no public explanation would be my guess).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 23, 21 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
You'd think if it was mechanical they would have figured that out.

"The reasons for the crash remain unclear but the team confirmed to Cyclingnews that while they have no current explanation, they are looking into the matter.
“It was a bizarre crash,” a spokesperson for the team confirmed, "and we are looking into it to determine what could have caused it.” "

My cousin had a crash exactly like this (except he ended up in a ditch) and for him, he snapped a screw on his aero bars. In my crash similar to this I snapped my bottom bracket. But as you say these were easy to determine even for a dummy like me.

The more I look at it, it looks like human error. It looks like he puts his head down for a final push over the line and he twists his arms a bit. This is based on the above video and nothing else.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a frame, 19s in where his bars don't appear to be 90 degrees to the bike. It looks like the left side of the bars (looking from front) are too high (could just be an illusion as bike is also leaning). I wonder if the stem snapped on one side
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom-Thanks for putting vid up. I was posting from my phone and it wasn't going as planned...

I watched it a few more times today and stopped it frame by frame and couldn't see much either. I do see at 23 seconds when the bike is upright after him crashing the aero bars are still in tact. I originally felt like maybe the stem snapped or the screws snapped as there were prior issues on SCs before. But the bars seem fine.

I agree with other posters-the guy hit the deck hard-especially his head. Wonder if he is racing today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Thom-Thanks for putting vid up. I was posting from my phone and it wasn't going as planned...

I watched it a few more times today and stopped it frame by frame and couldn't see much either. I do see at 23 seconds when the bike is upright after him crashing the aero bars are still in tact. I originally felt like maybe the stem snapped or the screws snapped as there were prior issues on SCs before. But the bars seem fine.

I agree with other posters-the guy hit the deck hard-especially his head. Wonder if he is racing today.

I'm beginning to wonder if his back wheel spun on some sand - it definitely seems like something going wonky in the back end, but nothing looks obviously broken like a frame or chain.
Quote Reply
Re: UAE TT Crash at finish line [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I'd go chain break or other similar drivetrain failure.

At the Junior Worlds TT in 2019, Tiberi also had a drivetrain failure; straight off the line. Looked like the left crank came loose. He calmly came to a stop and swapped out his Pinarello for his generic backup bike. Lost 20-30 seconds right off the bat. Then went on to have an awesome ride and won! Great performance and composure. He wasn't even the top seeded Italian, so no one was expecting much from him.

About 5 minutes into this video: https://www.nbcsports.com/...unior-itt-highlights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looked like it really hurt!

I joked with my friend..."looks like the motor seized up" lol

But it looked like a gust of wind to me. I haven’t seen or heard anything about a failure of any sort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

It looks to me like he just lost his front wheel. Hard to imagine why that would happen in that situation, but that's what it looks like.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is what it looked like to me and when you are stomping hard on the pedals with all your weight on the pedals and remaining amount on the pads with almost no pressure on the saddle that looks like what would happen if you suddenly lose any connection to the read wheel (chain break, chain drop, freehub pall failure)

Didn't look to me like he was cranking especially hard coming in

Also, if you watch it slo-mo, there's a frame or two with a perfect view of the left side, and the seatstay on that side looks intact

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching slo mo in high def it looks like the rear wheel kicked out for some reason. Team claims nothing broke.

Attached screenshot shows pretty clearly that his bars/pads didn't fail, everything still in place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next