Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers...
Quote | Reply
It seems like Butterfield has put in some great training this year and has really put a lot of effort into his running. I have this odd feeling that Tyler might have a great day in Kona, not going to win, but he could be a top 5 or top 10 guy.

I feel like Tim Reed might finally have his top ten performance in Kona as well, seems like he's put a lot of focus into the race this year (skipped worlds).

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He got chick'd in Frankfurt!
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Butterfield is similar to a Lange, Crowie, or Carfrae who have a unique ability to run extremely well in high dew points.

Not a bad sleeper and can never count someone out with that unique ability on the big island if he gets off the bike in the mix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men: Matt Hanson top American and Top 5 overall

Women: Corbin top American and Top 5 overall

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I like the guy. I don't see it for Butterfield.

Tim Reed, I can see him cracking top 10. Maybe a top 5. Hes hungry with good results recently.

aerobean wrote:
It seems like Butterfield has put in some great training this year and has really put a lot of effort into his running. I have this odd feeling that Tyler might have a great day in Kona, not going to win, but he could be a top 5 or top 10 guy.

I feel like Tim Reed might finally have his top ten performance in Kona as well, seems like he's put a lot of focus into the race this year (skipped worlds).

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Sep 14, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least he had the balls to show up in Frankfurt. A lot of pros are scared of that race and would never even toe the line.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
James Cunnama + he is a GREAT guy!

Lindsay Corbin

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cunnuma has all the tools to be in the mix.

Has Corbin figured it out? Seems like her swim puts her way back, but her run is consistent and strong. Perhaps Corbin and carfrae can work together

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like Hansen might look a lot like McNamee last year. Is his swim up to snuff?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy Potts, not even positive he's racing, but for a guy who was top 10 last year, no one is talking about him
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the brilliance of Potts, he goes out and rocks his sponsorship obligations and then races his own race. The guy just goes to his race plan, which ends up succeeding when other guys blow up. At 40 though, he's probably a long shot at the podium.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam Brown
Liz Blatchford (she retiring this year after Kona)
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On second thought, not sure Potts validated this year.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure he’s racing and riding that weird ceepo. Seen pic of him at A2 on instagram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scrap that, he validated in Austria. Looks like Tutukin ran 2:40 there as well. I know people hate him, but Tutukin might be up there in Kona.

Team Zoot 2023
Last edited by: aerobean: Sep 14, 18 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

+1 on Hanson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Corbin is usually 2-5 minutes back of Miranda out of water and will never bridge that gap on bike.

Huge Corbin fan so I hope she can make the third pack (Jackson etc) and stay with Heather and move her way up.
Last edited by: mrw42976: Sep 14, 18 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
Cam Brown
Liz Blatchford (she retiring this year after Kona)

I am surprised that Cam Brown doesn't get much love here. At the tender age of 46, he must be one of the oldest guys ever to qualify for the Pro race. He might still have the run for a top 15.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he runs in the 2:40's he'll be in the top 10

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Skipper, strong biker & sub 2.45 fun . top 10 maybe top 5 of us handles the heat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cam Wurf
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
As much as I like the guy. I don't see it for Butterfield.

Tim Reed, I can see him cracking top 10. Maybe a top 5. Hes hungry with good results recently.

Of note for Butterfield was his 2nd place out at Asia Pac 70.3 Champs back in August, Mendez won and Braden Currie was 3rd.

Would be great to see Tim Reed crack the Kona nut, obviously has the pedigree for the race and has raced really well in the heat elsewhere. The birth of his new son back in July and the complications/stress of that was hopefully far enough out from Kona to be in the past and not have an effect on him.

The Bintan / Sunny Coast double was definitely a good sign of where he is at, and only going upwards from there. Would be a stretch to put him as a "sleeper" though, other than his past Kona performances making him a "sleeper".

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield Top 10 in Kona? Other sleepers... [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is McNamee's thread, 3rd last year but not in anyone's conversation at all when talking about your podium contenders the odd few aside this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the ladies, a fully fit Mel Hauschildt will be a threat in front, one of the most lethal bike run combo. She had one injury after another for the past few years which hindered her progress otherwise i always felt she was a potential champion

For the guys, Matt Hanson!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next