Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Two unrelated training questions
Quote | Reply
1) What is the group wisdom on Ben-Gay? I've found it really helps get my blood flowing and reduces stiffness to put it on my lower back and around my knees before early morning rides or runs but I've never done much research on it. Is there any reason why I should avoid it? Is it just a placebo? Thoughts?

2) What are some of your rules of thumb on replacing running shoes? I've heard anything from 400 to 600 to 1000 miles and I've also heard it in terms of months of use (somewhat illogical given that if you run one mile, once every six weeks your shoes will be in perfect condition for years!) Anyway, I've got about 8 months and 400 miles on this pair of Kayanos and I've notice a little more soreness in my knees. Since I haven't made any major jumps in intensity or mileage I'm wondering if it could be the shoes.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Two unrelated training questions [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll comment on the running shoe thing. The easiest way to tell if it is your shoes is to buy another pair and run in them. I think that 8 months and 400 miles is probably long enough to wear them out. It depends on how heavy you are and what your running style is like. I never keep track of my running miles and when I notice any aches or pains I buy a new pair and rotate them into my run workouts. It never hurts to have an extra pair around anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Two unrelated training questions [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have multiple pairs of running shoes. 2 or 3 that get the bulk of my training and a few free pair of Nike's that I got that I do my track/tempo stuff in. Actualy thinking of making them my racing shoes as well.
I think 400 miles is time to make them dog walking shoes, personally. I've had a pair of shoes that i rarely run in for about 3 years now and I bet they have les than 200.
Don't know much about Ben Gay but if it heats an area you'll cause vasodilation and bring more blood to the area. If it feels good I'd keep doing it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply